Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14513 Discussions

Intel BXTS15A cooler high pitched whine at high RPM

BPowe2
Beginner

I installed the BXTS15A cooler properly with the push pins, and enabled a smart fan curve. Once the fan goes over 2000 RPM I start hearing a faint buzzing, then at 2800 RPM I hear a very loud buzzing whine that makes the computer barely usable at this RPM. The fan isn't hitting any cables. What's happening? Should I exchange for a new one?

edit: I'm pretty certain the noise is being generated by the vibrating of the plastic fan shroud against the metal heatsink at high RPMs, or during transition between different RPMs. I can easily stop the noise by holding two fingers on either corner of the shroud while the fan is spinning. By putting pressure in different areas of the shroud, I can make it so the noise is lessened or expelled at these higher RPMs even when I'm not pressing, and I assume as I use the fan it will "break in" and become more immune to making the loud vibration noise.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
idata
Employee

Hi gravitysphere,

I understand there is a buzzing noise coming from the fan. I apologize for the inconvenience, let me help you on this matter.

It does seem to be an issue with the plastic blades of the fan. At this stage, I recommend contacting your place of purchase if you are still within 30 days of purchase or contact Intel warranty team to check the warranty options.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html Processor support team

Regards,

Allan J.
0 Kudos