Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14503 Discussions

Intel HAXM Refuses to Install, and Intel Identification Utility says my CPU is an ES.

MorgS9
Beginner

I'm trying to use Intel HAXM for Android Studio. Whenever I try to install it, it keeps saying I have Virtualization Disabled, my CPU doesn't support it, or I have Hyper-V enabled.
I meet all requirements, (Hyper-V Disabled, Supported CPU, Virtualization Enabled)
yet it is still giving me the error.
Also, I tried running the Intel Processor Identification Utility, but it keeps telling me that my CPU is an ES (Engineering Sample).
I know for a fact that it isn't, because in Task Manager, it says I have an Intel Core i5-8300H, and also, my device is a laptop.
Can someone help me, please?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AlHill
Super User

If it says it is an ES, then it is an ES.  Task Mangler (a Microsoft tool) does not know.

And, as an ES, you should return it, or destroy it.   It is incomplete and you cannot rely upon it.

You need to READ this:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000056190/processors.html

0 Kudos
MorgS9
Beginner

I don't agree with that. And even then, what am I supposed to do? I can't get rid of it because it is directly soldered into the laptop, and I can't return it because the return period on this device has long passed.

Edit: And no, I cannot get rid of the entire device, as I cannot afford to buy another device.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Remove the heat sink/cooler, clean the top of the processor, and take a photo.  Post the photo here.

Also, run the IPDT and post the results:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005567/processors.html

And, if it is truly an ES, then you need to resolve this with the laptop manufacturer or seller.  There is nothing that can be done here.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

And, in the meantime, make sure you have the latest bios update.

0 Kudos