Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
15282 Discussions

Intel XTU deletes all profile at restart

GrayMaterial
Novice

Hi,

I have been using XTU on i9-13900HX, the latest version 7.14.0.15 has a bug in deleting all saved profiles upon restarting the machine at random instances.

It started after an update conflict with the UHD graphics driver, where a Windows update forced an older version of the driver to be installed, and then I used DSA to update it back to the latest version.

I suspect there is a mix of bugs amongst Undervoltage setting rules, Max step size setting and communication to the latest (or conflicted version changes) driver of the UHD graphics.

At this point, XTU adds massive unnecessary hurdles to repeatedly deleting the saved profiles, and I need to import all of them every start-up. The initial symptom I noticed was when I press hotkey to set a profile the XTU software crashes, then in the page of profile hotkey there are still all the hotkey settings, but empty in the profile page.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
GrayMaterial
Novice

Hi Jay,

thank you so much for the response, I have taken a look into the log generated by your stated method, it seems to me that there is a conflict by dell's Alienware OCControl service using the IntelOverclockingSDK simultaneously with XTU, where at some point the profile setting database file is resetted after XTU is loaded at the startup (That's why sometimes the deletion seemed not happening to some of the restart, but subsequent restart the profiles are gone again). So I guess XTU does not do the problem but most likely AWCC OCControl or IntelOverclockingSDK.

I have made a mitigation method to temporarily "solve" my issue, I made a .bat file to terminate XTU at startup, rewind the profile.xml and restart XTU, being done on every startup by task scheduler, so that the profiles are restored everytime when the conflict happens.

the log is zipped and attached, but I think the SSU diagnosis scan is of no use in this issue now.

thank you so much for the heads up on gathering the log file.

Bests,

Gray

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
JayB_Intel
Employee

Hello GrayMaterial,

Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

We apologize for any inconvenience that this might have caused you. We have a similar report concerning the Intel XTU deleting the user profiles after system reboot. However, I would like to do a couple of checks and perhaps offer a few basic steps to troubleshoot the issue and see how it goes.

Please download and run Intel SSU from this link: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18377/25293/intel-system-support-utility-for-windows.html?v=t it can help us with troubleshooting. Once finished downloading, open the tool, click on scan (leave the default items checked), click next, then save the system information to a .txt file. Please share us the .txt file.

Please check inside Intel XTU if Restore tuning after reboot is enabled.

1. Open Intel XTU
  2. Select Settings on the upper right corner of the app
  3. Select Advanced Options
  4. Please see if the Restore tuning after reboot option is ticked

Uninstall Intel XTU following the article below:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000032459/processors/processor-utilities-and-programs.html

Reinstall Intel XTU ver. 7.14.0.15 from the link below:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/17881/intel-extreme-tuning-utility-intel-xtu.html

If the issue persists after uninstalling and reinstalling the app, please collect the XTU logs for further analysis:

1. Open Registry Editor 
  2. Find HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software
  3. Create a new Key named “Intel” under that node (if it doesn’t already exist)
  4. Create a new Key named “XTU” under the “Intel” node (if it doesn’t already exist)
  5. Create a new DWORD value under the “XTU” node called “LoggingLevel” with value 4
  6. Restart the XTU Service, or restart the computer. 
  7. Start XTU and reproduce issue.
  8. Share with us the new XtuCore logs available in C:\ProgramDate\Intel\Intel Extreme Tuning Utility\Logs

Best regards,

Jay B.

GrayMaterial
Novice

Hi Jay,

thank you so much for the response, I have taken a look into the log generated by your stated method, it seems to me that there is a conflict by dell's Alienware OCControl service using the IntelOverclockingSDK simultaneously with XTU, where at some point the profile setting database file is resetted after XTU is loaded at the startup (That's why sometimes the deletion seemed not happening to some of the restart, but subsequent restart the profiles are gone again). So I guess XTU does not do the problem but most likely AWCC OCControl or IntelOverclockingSDK.

I have made a mitigation method to temporarily "solve" my issue, I made a .bat file to terminate XTU at startup, rewind the profile.xml and restart XTU, being done on every startup by task scheduler, so that the profiles are restored everytime when the conflict happens.

the log is zipped and attached, but I think the SSU diagnosis scan is of no use in this issue now.

thank you so much for the heads up on gathering the log file.

Bests,

Gray

0 Kudos
JayB_Intel
Employee

Hello GrayMaterial,

Thank you for the response. I appreciate that you were able to find the cause of the issue. Please take into consideration that our support may be limited since we are not familiar with the technology and they may have altered settings, features, incorporated customizations, or made other changes to some components for better compatibility with your system. In this case, if Dell has their own app/software similar to Intel XTU it is best to use it prior to Intel XTU. We would suggest considering coordinating the Dell if they have other recommendation.

However, let me share the logs with the team and check on how we can move forward with your case. As soon as I receive feedback I will post it on this thread once available.

Best regards,

Jay B.

0 Kudos
JayB_Intel
Employee

Hello GrayMaterial,

I hope you are doing well. Unfortunately, we are unable to reproduce the issue on i7-13700K and the difference between your system to our system is AOCC which is for Dell laptops. Can we ask to uninstall AOCC and try again? This is to make sure that we are not having any other issues and just focus on the XTU.

Also, we are unable to view and access the log files shared and would like to request them again as they seem to be corrupted or inaccessible. Profiles are a part of the Overclocking SDK, so it’s possible that other programs like Alienware's OCControl is resetting the profiles somehow. To understand this better, we will need the log files again.

Best regards,

Jay B.

0 Kudos
GrayMaterial
Novice

Hi Jay B.,

I tested again exactly uninstalling AWCC, and all issues with XTU would be gone: profiles.xml remains untouched over reboot, and the "restore tuning after reboot" option remains checked after enabling before restart. Then I reinstall AWCC that is provided to my laptop version 6.1.11.0, and all the problems reappear. Please find attached the log files both right after uninstalling and after reinstalling.

Since I still need AWCC to use macros of some keyboard keys and to use the G button for ramping up fan speed, I will keep AWCC around, and as well I also need XTU critically to down tune the CPU to avoid overloading it regarding the recent i9-13900K and similar models getting hardware burn out, I would use XTU to precisely limiting core power and clock ratios so that the i9-13900HX which is the same physical chip will not face similar risk of that burnout.

Therefore, I need to use my temporary solution to refresh my settings profiles every time AWCC wipes it out. 

Thanks for your persistent patience.

Bests

Gray

0 Kudos
JayB_Intel
Employee

Hi GrayMaterial,

Thank you for the update. At this rate, let me share this new logs with our engineers for further investigation. Rest assured I will provide update as soon as I receive feedback. We appreciate your patience and understanding on this one.

Best regards,

Jay B.

0 Kudos
JayB_Intel
Employee

Hello GrayMaterial,

Unfortunately, we are unable to view the submitted logs. We are receiving an "Unexpected Error" when trying to extract it and unable to conduct further analysis for you. However, may we request another submission of logs or share it with us via Google Drive Link if possible. 

I will also send you an email on how to generate core logs so that you can send it to us via email. Kindly check your inbox.

Best regards,

Jay B.

0 Kudos