Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14500 Discussions

Intel XTU voltage and frequency stuck at 0

MrMcyeet
Beginner

A while back, I was testing out intel XTU, and everything was great. I used it to undervolt my I7-8086k, and it worked flawlessly, I don't remember how much exactly, but it ran a bit cooler ☺
Fast forward a bit, and I decide to try my hand at overclocking it too, so I put the Core Voltage Offset to 0, and put the Ratio Multiplier up to 50x, and It bumped right on up to 5ghz ☺
Fast forward a bit more, and I'm steady bumping down the voltage, and running a stress test for 2-3 hours. After a while, I figured id jump down to -0.200V on the core voltage offset, and my pc instantly froze, then restarted. oops, no problem, ill just not put it down that low next time.
But when I restarted my pc, and loaded everything back up, the Core voltage, Max Core Frequency, Package Temperature, Package TDP, Core TDP, Active Core Count, Core 0-5 Temp and Utilization (not the CPU utilization monitor though) and Processor cache frequency
were all stuck at 0, which clearly wasn't right...
Additionally, the CPU Utilization monitor seems to update ***WAY*** faster then before, almost glitch-ily fast --> 
My question is, is there any way to make it start reading those values correctly again?
I'm mostly certain that the issue isn't the CPU itself, since programs like realtemp show the temp correctly, and the task manager shows the frequency.
I did just update XTU to 7.4.0.26, and this did not change or fix the issue.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

MrMcyeet, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

What is the model of the motherboard?

Is this a new computer?

Did you build it?

Was it working fine before at stock configuration with the default BIOS settings?

Which Windows* version are you using?

Does the problem happen at home or work environment?

Please attach the SSU report so we can verify further details about the components in your platform, please check all the options in the report including the one that says "3rd party software logs":

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
MrMcyeet
Beginner

Thanks for the reply,
My motherboard is the 'GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS Gaming WiFi (rev. 1.0)'
It is not a new computer, I built it about two years ago.
It was working fine before what I posted above.
Im running Windows 10 Pro version 10.0.19042 Build 19042
The problem happens at home.
And attached is the SSU report

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

MrMcyeet, You are very welcome, thank you very much for providing that information and the SSU report.

Even though you mentioned, "I'm mostly certain that the issue isn't the CPU itself", still we recommend to run the Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool, which does an overall test on the unit and if it passes the test it indicates that the Intel processor is working fine and we can rule out a possible hardware problem with that component:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

Also, just to let you know, altering clock frequency or voltage may damage or reduce the useful life of the processor and other system components, and may reduce system stability and performance. Product warranties may not apply if the processor is operated beyond its specifications. Check with the manufacturers of system and components for additional details.

So, please make sure that you are using the platform at stock configuration with the default BIOS settings.

Now, regarding the Intel® XTU tool not showing the correct values, we suggest to uninstall it, then reboot the computer and reinstall it again following the instructions in the links below, once you get the chance, please let us know the results:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000032459/processors/processor-utilities-and-programs.html 

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29183/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU-

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello MrMcyeet, I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,
Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello MrMcyeet, Since I have not heard back from you, we are closing the case, but if you have any additional questions, please post them on a new thread so we can further assist you with this matter.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos