Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14405 Discussions

Intel Xeon E5-2698V3 SSE4.2 Support

JGale
Beginner

Hi.

We have a bunch of Dell Servers with this processor and recently a customer ask us if the processor supports SSEV4, so we check the INTEL ARK to find if the processor suport that or not, and found that apparently does not support that set of instructions, so to be sure we download CPU-Z and the Intel Processor Identification Utility. and surprise, depends on the Hypervisor it supports or not.

We have one Windows Server 2012 R2 with Hyper-V, and the Physical SErver and also the VM that resides in the Physical Server reports that Supports SSE4.2, but in VMware a Virtual Machine reports that does not support SSE4.2.

so with that results we are kind of crazy with this because its an ambiguous result in the same infraestructure (Dell PowerEdge R630 with 2xIntel Xeon E5-2697v3)

Here is the output in VMWARE:

Here is the output in Windows 2012 R2

Any Ideas that could leadme to an answer to my customer.

Thanks in Advance

Atte.

Julian Galeano

Cloud Architect Leader.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi M13_BIKER,

I will take a look into this and reply as soon as I gather information to determine if it is supported or partially supported based on the operating system's feedback that you shared.

Eduardo_B.
JGale
Beginner

Hi, Eduardo, I'll appreciate your help, I'll be waiting for your update. Thanks in Advance!

Atte.

Julian Galeano

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi M13_BIKER,

Indeed the E5-2698V3 and probably all E5-26xxV3 processor family does not support SSE4 instructions. They do support SSE3 and SSSE3 (supplemental SSE3).

So even if it appears to be supported under certain conditions, it is not officially supported.

I hope this clears things out.

Eduardo_B
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi M13_BIKER,

I was wondering if you require additional help with this, please let me know if you need anything else.

Eduardo_B
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi M13_BIKER,

I was wondering if you require additional help with this, please let me know if you need anything else.

Eduardo_B
0 Kudos
JGale
Beginner

Hi Eduardo, it's all clear by now, I already mark your answer as the good one. Thanks for your time and help

0 Kudos