Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14915 Discussions

Intel i5 9300H frequency/voltage drop and laptop shuts off during gameplay

Antony_K
Beginner

Hi, everyone. 

I am facing an issue of shutting off my laptop while playing a videogames.

Whenever I play a game titles (even 5 years old) I noticed a significant fps drop (from ~80 fps to 10-20fps) for a 3-5 seconds. After 3-4th rep laptop just shuts off without any errors in a Windows logs. 
I've started to investigate a problem. I've done some stress test like AIDA64 and at the same time I've monitored a hardware paramters (temperatures, voltage, power, frequency) using HWMonitor.

During CPU stress test I haven't noticed any problems. Laptop was running for about 15 minutes at 100% load (frequency 3800-4000 Mhz and voltage aprx. 1.200 V). CPU temperatures stables at ~84 C. 
During GPU stress test CPU utilizes ~26% and GPU utilized at 100%. But I got a CPU throttling warning (30-50%) by some reason. It takes some time to speed up funs and later on throttling value drops o 10-15%. CPU rises up to 96 C and then stabilezes at 85-87 C. GPU heats up to ~ 85 C
During CPU and GPU test (simultaneously) picture appears slightly better. It started with 15% throttling (CPU utilization 100% and both GPU at 100%) for 3-4 mins and after cooling funs coped up a temperature rising it stabilizes at 80 C. 
Stress tests didn't cause a shut down for a time I've carried out test.
But once I run some heavy games every 5-20 minutes I get a fps drop. And after some time laptop just shuts down. 
I tried to monitor a hardware parameters duing gameplay.
CPU :
Utilization at 40-60%;
Temperatures at 75-85 C;
Frequency 3800-4000 Mhz;
Voltage 1.2 V.
GPU:
Utilization at 80-100%
Temperatures at 75-85 C;

During a fps drop I noticed also a frequency and voltage drop (0.6 V / 787 Mhz respectively). 
Thermal paste was replaced 1 month ago by service. I suspect a power failure, motherboard damage or GPU damage. 
Does somebody has any idea where to search and how to troubleshoot ?
Appreciate any advise. 
Thank You.

Laptop specs: 
Brand : Acer Nitro 5 ;
CPU: Intel i5 9300H;
GPU: Nvidia RTX2060, 6 Gb (Intel 630 integrated);
RAM: 16 Gb DDR4;

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello Antony_K,

Thank you for posting on the Intel communities. I am sorry to hear that you are having random shutdowns with your Intel® Core™ i5-9300H Processor, I will be happy to help you.  

To have a better understanding of the situation, please answer the following questions: 

Regards,  

Andres P. 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
Antony_K
Beginner

Hello, Andres_Intel!

Regarding Your questions:

1. I didn't carry out test in many different games' titles to avoid any damage to hardware but the game I faced this issue for a first time was Nioh. Initially it was just a fps drop (and before this happened I was playing for a month without any problems) for a shot period of time (like 3 secs). Then after a 4-7 days I got a first shutdown. And strange that both of shutdowns happened when the main character was opening the boss's door. But the third shutdowns happens just during routine level clear up. Later, laptop shutdowns began to occur in another game as well such as Assassing Creed Unity. First signs are fps drop for a short period of time and after 3-4 repeats laptop just shuts off withour any errors. The rest of the games' titles I didn't test to prevent any damages to a hardware.

2. I've attached the log file as You requested. 

I guess there is a problem related to a power supply but can't figure out what is a source of that.

Thank Your for a feedback. 

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello Antony_K, 

Thank you for your response, all the information provided has been really helpful.

Please answer the questions below, follow the steps, and let us know the results:

• Does it happen when the rager is connected? Since you think the power supply is the issue. If possible you can test another one.
  • Update BIOS to version 1.33. You can contact Acer Support for installation steps.
  • Test another memory RAM. Ask Acer Support to know if that is possible.

Regards,  

Andres P. 

0 Kudos
Antony_K
Beginner
Thank You for given advises.
BIOS update didn’t help.
Will carry out the rest of steps but it’s gonna take some time.
Once I have all the steps done will revert with a result.
Thank You
0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello Antony_K,

Thank you for your answer, it has been really helpful. 

I will wait for you to complete the steps. Let me know the results.

Regards,  

Andres P. 

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello Antony_K, 

Were you able to check the previous post?  

Let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards,  

Andres P.  

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello Antony_K,

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Andres P.  

0 Kudos