Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14539 Discussions

Intel i7 7700k 4.20GHz Gaming RAM 4266mhz Question!

XJR15
Beginner

Ok stock ram speed for this CPU is 2133mhz or somewhere around that. Im using gaming ram and I set it to 4266mhz cause thats the highest speed setting it was designed to run at. Im using a gaming motherboard too so it was easily able to switch to that RAM speed from an Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P). So my question is, does the CPU utilize the speed of the RAM (4266mhz) by default or do I have to overclock the CPU for it to run higher speeds than 2133mhz even though the gaming ram can easily go to 4266mhz.

Because in CPU-Z it says 2133mhz still in some areas and in some areas it says the RAM is running at 4266mhz.  In other words im curious if its properly utilizing the 4266mhz speed of the ram, which would explain why it downclocks to 2133mhz if it cant by default when u first put the RAM in the motherboard and fire it up.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I would try checking this with an app like AIDA64 (https://www.aida64.com). This is a pay app, but you can use for trial period without having to pay for it.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello XJR15,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.  

After checking the specifications of your components such as the RAM, and the XMP profile that was enabled, I would like to share some information with you. 

Based on the processor specifications, the unit will only support a frequency of 2133/2400Mhz 

for the memory, You can check the supported specifications here.

This is because the use of an XMP profile that exceeds the supported specifications will change the frequencies and possibly the voltages affecting the memory controller.

When the XMP profile exceeds the supported specifications of the processor, it is considered overclocking. This may damage or reduce the useful life of the processor and other system components and may reduce system stability and performance. Product warranties may not apply if the processor is operated beyond its specifications. 

As the XMP profile is different from one motherboard manufacturer to another, I would strongly recommend checking with them to ensure top performance and avoid any possible impact in other components.

For that reason, we will always recommend the use of the products under the validated specs.

However, to answer your question, there is no need to overclock the processor in order to work with the frequencies of the XMP profile set.

You may want to test the tool provided by the community to monitor your system.

Esteban D.

Intel Technical Support Technician  

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello XJR15,

Were you able to check the previous post?   

Please let me know if you need further assistance.   

Esteban D.  

Intel Technical Support Technician   

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello XJR15,

We have not heard back from you. 

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer being monitored  

Esteban D.  

Intel Technical Support Technician   

0 Kudos