Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
15067 Discussions

Intellij Idea crashing on 14900hx

JainilJain
Beginner

hello,

I recently got a new Laptop with i9-14900HX and have experienced constant crashes in Intellij Idea Ultimate (JetBrains IDE) which I use for Java development. The moment I open the software it gives me 'EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION' error and crashes. I have tried different versions of the software and have also tried different versions of JDKs but none of them worked. I have also updated the bios and drivers to the latest version as well. I believe this issue is related to the recent stability issues with the 13th and 14th gen Intel Core processors. I have performed Hardware scans and the system passes those tests without reporting any errors. I am attaching the crash logs of intellij for reference here and also the system specifications with some other details.

System vendor: Lenovo

product: Legion Pro 5 16IRX9 (83DF)

System specifications:

Operating System: Windows 11 (23H2)

Processor: Intel Core i9-14900HX

Ram: 32 Gb (DDR5-5600 MHZ)

Storage: 1TB SSD

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Senkuchan
Valued Contributor II
Try using the intel default settings. But i suggest contacting the oem of your computer to further check it. As per this link: https://community.intel.com/t5/Processors/Clarification-Update-on-Intel-Core-13th-14th-Gen-Desktop/m-p/1618462
0 Kudos
JainilJain
Beginner
Hi Senkuchan,

Actually I am on a mobile system which means I don't have access to any of these settings as Lenovo does not allow any CPU clock and voltage manipulation on their laptops atleast they don't allow any of those options on my specific model. I have updated the bios to the latest version though which did not help. As per Lenovo they performed hardware test and everything was fine so they said the problem might be with the application. So then I contacted Intellij and they did say that currently high end 13th and 14th generation CPUs have some stability issues. So well now I am stuck with a broken IDE and only Intel left who I believe can help me
0 Kudos
XeonCJJ
New User

You are on mobile chip, shouldn't be affect by desktop chip issue(13th/14th gen issue).

0 Kudos
JainilJain
Beginner
Yes, I am on a mobile system but 13th and 14th gen HX variant processors are nothing but desktop chips just binned down for use in constrained environments like laptops. Just because it's a mobile chip it doesn't mean that its safe unlike it's desktop counterparts and now with Intel stating that non-k and other skus may also be compromised to these stability issues. I do have a suspicion that my processor might also be affected.
0 Kudos
XeonCJJ
New User

I think Intel has clarify that mobile chip don't have the same issue with desktop chip.

Even if so the 13th/14th gen crash issue is randomly occured from what I see in the internet discussion. Your problem here seems 100% occurs without any randomless. It should be a software bug instead of hw issue.

0 Kudos