Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14403 Discussions

Is Power limit throttling safe for my computer?

RGatb
Beginner

My unit is lenovo s740 15IRH. Is turbo boost power max @25W not stable? It seemed to stabilize my CPU Temp @75degrees on an average while playing Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare or Warzone. This seems to be the solution to my Laptop's Thermal Throttling wit

Is this safe for my laptop?97048550_268002324338160_1968997404317319168_n (1).png

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AlHill
Super User

What is your processor model number?

Doc

0 Kudos
RGatb
Beginner

Lenovo IdeaPad S740-15IRH

Processor

Intel Core i7-9750H

Graphics adapter

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Max-Q - 8192 MB, Core: 1245 MHz, GDDR5, 441.87, Optimus

Memory

16384 MB  , PC4-21300, 1333.3 MHz, 19-19-19-43, Dual-Channel, 2x SODIMM

Display

15.6 inch 16:9, 3840 x 2160 pixel 282 PPI, 10-point capacitive, native pen support, BOE HF NE156QUM-N55, IPS, LEN8C91, glossy: yes, HDR

Mainboard

Intel HM370

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello RGatb

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you need further assistance. If yes, could you please elaborate more on your inquiry?

Also, did you perform any change in the settings of Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility - Intel® XTU? Please provide details.

Additionally, please run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach the report to this thread.

1- Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

2- Open the application and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".

3- To save your scan, click Next and click Save.

4- To attach a file, you must click the “Attach” option on the bottom left-hand corner of the response box.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
RGatb
Beginner

hi sir @AndrewG_Intel​ 

I just want to know if this is safe for my device. The method with the XTU I did with my laptop stabilized the processor temperature and graphics card temperature.

I am really happy with the performance of my laptop even without the boost. I just want to know if this Current limit throttling and Power Limit throttling is safe for my computer.

Thank you

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello RGatb

Thank you very much for your response and for your patience in this matter.

Regarding your inquiry, it is worth mentioning that any change in performance settings impacts temperatures and stability and we do not have details on hardware implementation, only the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM), in this case Lenovo™ can assist with this specific inquiry for this system.

Having said that, we kindly recommend you to address this inquiry directly to Lenovo support for more accurate assistance.

Note:

Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU) is supported on valid processors intended to be used on platforms to enable novice and experienced enthusiasts to overclock, monitor, and stress a system.

Intel® XTU may or may not work on unsupported processors. We recommend checking the section "This download is valid for the product(s) listed below" on the Intel® XTU download webpage.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos