Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14516 Discussions

Is the turbo boost function compatible with an entirely virtualized workload?

JMila1
Beginner

I have a customer looking to upgrade their server and they asked feedback whether to go with Xeon 8176 or Xeon 6154 (in both cases dual processors). The system will be a Hyper-V host with (among others) our application server and db server as guests..

On our application server we have 3 key services which are performance critical and entirely single threaded (due to the nature of the work this cannot be changed), so I am concerned by the impact of the very low base frequency of the cores in the 8176.

According to the specs these cores can be boosted up to to 3.8GHz if not all cores are active, and even the 3 GHz boost frequency with all but 4 cores is a large gain over 2.1.

However, I read serveral posts that have given me some doubts as to whether the cores will actually enable the turbo boost frequency if the workload is entirely virtual. The 3 processes to which the clock speed is crucial run in a guest, and even with these 3 servces the guest likely does not have a very high overall cpu load. Moreover, the host will never encounter a high load scenario given the abundance of cores.. it's only the 3 critical threads that would need to trigger the turbo clock frequency.

In such a scenario, wouldn't I be better off with the 6154  which guarantees a much higher base clock speed..?

The customer would prefer to go with the 8176 , but I have reservations about the single thread performance...

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Emeth_O_Intel
Hello, Thank you so much for contacting Intel Enterprise Support. I was reviewing the information that you are looking for and I would like to ask you more information about your server system; Please provide us the brand name and model of the server board that you are using. Also, for further information please check the links below: https://ark.intel.com/products/120508/Intel-Xeon-Platinum-8176-Processor-38-5M-Cache-2-10-GHz- https://ark.intel.com/products/120495/Intel-Xeon-Gold-6154-Processor-24-75M-Cache-3-00-GHz- Best regards, Emeth O. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Emeth_O_Intel
Hello, I would like to know if the information provided help you out in order to clarify the information that you are looking for. If so, please let us know in order to proceed with the next step. Best regards, Emeth O. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Emeth_O_Intel
Hello, I am following up your thread in order to see if you still need more information or assistance on this concern. If so, please do not hesitate and let me know and I will be more than happy to assist you. Best regards, Emeth O. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Emeth_O_Intel
Hello, Due to the fact that there is no activity on the thread. I will proceed and close it, if you have any other question do not hesitate and contact us back and we will be more than happy to assist you. Best regards, Emeth O. Intel Customer Support Technician. Under Contract to Intel Corporation.
0 Kudos