Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
15140 Discussions

July 2024 Update on Instability Reports on Intel Core 13th and 14th Gen Desktop Processors

Thomas_Hannaford
Employee

*Update 7/29 regarding customer support process guidance (included below as well): https://community.intel.com/t5/Processors/Clarification-Update-on-Intel-Core-13th-14th-Gen-Desktop/m-p/1618462

Based on extensive analysis of Intel Core 13th/14th Gen desktop processors returned to us due to instability issues, we have determined that elevated operating voltage is causing instability issues in some 13th/14th Gen desktop processors. Our analysis of returned processors confirms that the elevated operating voltage is stemming from a microcode algorithm resulting in incorrect voltage requests to the processor.

Intel is delivering a microcode patch which addresses the root cause of exposure to elevated voltages. We are continuing validation to ensure that scenarios of instability reported to Intel regarding its Core 13th/14th Gen desktop processors are addressed. Intel is currently targeting mid-August for patch release to partners following full validation.

Intel is committed to making sure all customers who have or are currently experiencing instability symptoms on their 13th and/or 14th Gen desktop processors are supported in the exchange process.

To help streamline the support process, Intel's guidance is as follows:

• For users who purchased 13th/14th Gen-powered desktop systems from OEM/System Integrator - please reach out to your system vendor's customer support team for further assistance.
  • For users who purchased boxed/tray 13th/14th Gen desktop processors - please reach out to Intel Customer Support for further assistance.

Labels (1)
252 Replies
Kal1979
Beginner
That’s the problem: how can we be sure? How can we trust? Intel NEVER released a list of CPU involved, Intel neither said when, precisely, the issue was solved (IF you belive it really was, I personally DON’T!)
0 Kudos
cloudllove
Beginner

Due to limited clues, CPUs produced within a certain period of time have defects with oxidation issues. I don't know if this includes H45 (or mobile 13900h). I am not concerned about voltage issues, but only about whether there are oxidation process defects in 13900h.

0 Kudos
Kal1979
Beginner
0 Kudos
cloudllove
Beginner

Looking forward to your final reply.
I don't care about voltage issues, I only care about whether there are process problems (oxidation defects) in 13900h. As a new fan of Intel, this makes me feel anxious. Your professional level makes me feel at ease. Considering my limited information, your answer will alleviate my anxiety. (including others like me).

0 Kudos
Kal1979
Beginner
There is an unofficial list of 11 processors involved in oxidation, but voices say oxidation was never fixed until April 2024… anyway the list is:
i9-13900T
i9-13900
i9-13900F
i9-13900K
i9-13900KF
i7-13700K
i7-13700KF
i7-13700
i7-13700T
i5-13600K
i5-13600KF

More info on laptop crashes here:
https://www.tomshardware.com/pc-components/cpus/intel-says-13th-and-14th-gen-mobile-cpus-are-crashing-but-not-due-to-the-same-bug-as-desktop-chips-chipmaker-blames-common-software-and-hardware-issues
0 Kudos
Mistyshade
Beginner

Hi,

I'm looking for some information about the 13900k desktop processor.
To be honest, since I bought it i had a lot of trouble with it. Mostly unstability problem by using it ONLY in XMP mode with sometime AUTO overclocking et sometime AI Overcloking from my motherboard ASUS MAXIMUS Z790 hero.

I installed  EVERY BIOS UPDATE when it was available and those are my observation :
- At the beggining the processor work really well except on 2 games for a reason I don't understand it crash Windows with a BSOD but ONLY when I quit the game (with the button Back to Windows or ALT+F4, whatever the way I quit, it crashed systematiquely on game exit (Games involved : Forspoken and Rachet and Clank Spatial Rift).
- No those problem of BSOD (Blue screen with KERNEL CORE ERROR) aren't here anymore, but I still have a lot of games where I experienced crash, even if before I had NO problem with that.

So the fact is that all those BIOS update just fix some problem to create new one. I never had my PC that shut down himself, but now I have a lot of unstable game when using Default setting. I had to change it to Intel Defaut intel baseline to make it work in a more stable version. Since then I experienced no more problem.

The problem is that I also know my processor could be affected by corrosion on long term : How should I know that ?
Should I write a ticket even if my processor is almost OK ? I have a lack of performance but not something that terrible and my biggest problem would be more to have my PC without any processor for a undefined period .....

So what should I do ? (For info I bought the processor in December 2022)

0 Kudos
Nassbirne
Novice

I'd RMA it as it might be affected by the oxidation issue.

CoolBook
Novice

High frequency XMP is by far the most common cause of instability.

Mistyshade
Beginner

It's possible, because i'm using 7200Mhz CAS 34 with my CPU .....

0 Kudos
CoolBook
Novice

Possible is not the same as guaranteed.

It is also very difficult for the ordinary user to fully test stability of RAM.

0 Kudos
RippedBy14900KS
Beginner

Just go for the RMA to be sure. A lot of outlets have done their own testing and traced this back to the CPU. Even with XMP disabled.  

There is a lot of people suggesting to mess with settings which are different from Intels own recommendations, do not do this. Simply contact support and go for a RMA. These chips are defect.

CoolBook
Novice

Did you really buy the KS with that attitude?

0 Kudos
RippedBy14900KS
Beginner

What attitude exactly? The expectations that a product will work as advertised? Even Intel recommends against the tinkering you suggest. 

0 Kudos
Kal1979
Beginner

Kingston 16x2 Gb, 6400mhz, XMP activated, no issue whatsoever.

My 14700k (already undervolted -0,051) though shows a litte increase of Vid in the benchmarks (0,03-0,04) compared to 3 months ago… that could mean that, to keep the same clock, it needs more voltage and that could be sign of early degradation…

0 Kudos
ysk_PLUZ
New Contributor I

私の14900KSも装着してすぐは-0.075vで安定動作していましたが、約1ヶ月後にはVIDが0.05~0.06程増加しました

BSODが続いたので現在は-0.02vでなんとか動作しています。

VIDの増加は過去2回RMAした個体でも同じ現象が観測され、その内電圧を上げてもクラッシュが続くようになります。

0 Kudos
Looping62
Beginner

Bonjour, 

Je confirme le probleme de XMP, j'ai un 13600 K sur une carte mere Rog strix Z790-F qui soudainement ne boot plus quand le XMP est activé, donc la DDR5 tourne a 3000Mhz au lieu de 6000 Mhz. (j ai fait forcage manuel dans le bios en mettant DDR5 6000 Mhz, est ce que cela suffit ???)

J'ai contacté asus qui m'ont demande des photos du bios et de la ram et depuis.... aucunne nouvelle, aucun retour.

P.S: baisse de voltage bios bizzare depuis dernier bios et microcode,, mon 13600K qui est vendu pour 5100 Mhz tourne a 5500 Mhz ???

0 Kudos
RippedBy14900KS
Beginner

What RAM kit are you using? 

Some RAM Kits are incorrectly labeled by the vendor and require a small voltage increase for them to work correctly.  (1.35 should be 1.45, will also work on 1.425 (without setting high ram voltage) 

0 Kudos
Looping62
Beginner

J utilise un KIt Kingston Fury beast DDR5 32 Go (2X16) qui sont donne a 1.35 V j ai teste a 1.21 V le pc boot mais bien sur memoire au ralenti, et si je remet tension donnee par Kingston a 1.35V ne pc ne boot plus.

0 Kudos
RippedBy14900KS
Beginner

That voltage should be correct, the kits I mentioned are specifically 48gb kits. 

0 Kudos
Mr_FranCk
Novice

Honnêtement, à moins d'être vraiment versé au niveau des paramétrages de RAM, je ne jouerais pas avec les voltage ou les timings.

Le 1.35v de la RAM n'a rien à voir avec le VID du processeur. Ceci dit, je te suggère vivement de limiter ta vitesse de RAM à 6000mhz en XMP. J'ai joué avec différents kit de RAM sur de la 13e et 14e gen et c'est possible de stabiliser à 6400, mais c'est beaucoup de travail alors qu'à 6000, tout est nickel.

Clear le CMOS, applique les paramétrages d'alimentation du CPU comme étant ceux d'Intel. 

Active le xmp, mais limite la vitesse de RAM à 6000mhz.

Tout devrait bien fonctionner.

0 Kudos
Mistyshade
Beginner

I'm using CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 7200MHz CL34 (2x16 Gb).
Also I'm cooling my processor with ASUS ROG RYUJIN II 360mm
On iddle I'm 5,5GHz with around 1,3V (on latest BIOS Update 2402)

0 Kudos