Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14537 Discussions

Legacy CPU Upgrade advice (U2400)

Mr_Logan
Beginner
Good afternoon.
I've currently got an older dinosaur on my desk (Panasonic toughbook CF-19) that we would like to keep, but upgrade to a higher spec (Appreciate that it's never going to hit modern standards but it's all good fun, right?).

The machine is currently running an Intel U2400, PBGA479 socket, 1.06ghz Dual core, 533mhz bus speed, 32 bit.

I'm basically wanting to know either a list of what I can upgrade to or the higher end compatible CPUs.

I've seen the T2600 chucked about, but then I believe a P(or T)7400 has also been mentioned, and then I've seen T9600's going for buttons which I believe is the same socket in fitting but may not be electrically compatible.

If I can get the machine onto 64 bit, that'd be fantastic but I appreciate that the motherboard on the laptop MAY be the limiting factor.

If anyone can provide some advice (without telling me to bin the machine) I would most certainly appreciate it.

Cheers.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
AlHill
Super User

If the U2400 is not soldered to the motherboard (which it appears as it is), you will need to ask Panasonic what processors are supported by their bios.   Then you can select from those.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/27239/intel-core-duo-processor-u2400-2m-cache-1-06-ghz-533-mhz-fsb.html

In my opinion, even if an upgrade is possible, it is not worth the time, effort, and cost.   It is time to take this laptop to a recycle bin and get yourself a new or newer laptop.  I am familiar with these toughbooks and would spend no time trying to upgrade them.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
Mr_Logan
Beginner
Thanks AlHill, appreciate the time you've taken to respond.

This is not intended as a main machine by any stretch, and is actually to be part of a show vehicle exhibit so we'd rather not bin it. I'll strip the machine down and if the CPU is soldered, we'll just leave it as a fancy looking paperweight in the vehicle.

Cheers.
0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Hello Mr_Logan,

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities.   

Due to this product being discontinued (Intel® Core™ Duo Processor U2400), Intel Customer Service no longer supports inquiries for it. I am glad to see that a fellow community member has the knowledge and jumped in and helped. 

You may also find the Discontinued Products website (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/discontinued-products.html) helpful to address your request.  

You can get the specifications and verify this product's discontinuance status at the Intel® Product Specifications website > Product Status > "Discontinued". https://ark.intel.com/   

Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel. Thank you for your understanding.  

Best regards,

Steven G.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos