Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14368 Discussions

Lenovo Ideapad S145-15IKB -i3-8130U Runs Very Slow

Anil
Beginner

I have a Lenovo Ideapad S145-15IKB -i3-8130U CPU @ 2.20GHz / 12GB/ 256GB SSD / Win10 Home.  Processor is supposed to have Turbo boost frequency of 3.2GHz. 

However,  CPU on this laptop runs at 0.4GHz   (yes 400MHz ! instead of 2.2 GHz and hence it is pathetically slow. I have updated the drivers, firmware etc to latest but the issue remains.

I was able to disable PPM driver to get the CPU run at 2.2 GHz in Windows. But as soon as any meeting (Google meet, Zoom, MS Teams) program is invoked, it will drag.   This laptop was bought for my kid studying at class VI for online class. Practically this system can not be used. (I have a seven year old  Lenovo G500 with Pentium B960 with normal HDD which runs far better (at least 10x faster) than this new laptop).

With PPM disabled, Windows task manager reports 2.2Ghz. At the same time, Intel Intel Processor Identification utility reports Reported frequency of 0.4GHz.

I tried Ubuntu 20.04. It drags there too. I can see that the CPU frequency comes to 0.4GHz whenever we try to stress the CPU with a load. This load is as simple as google meet. I am surprised, Turboboost is supposed to increase the processor frequency to 3.2.  But I see that the it pulls down the CPU running slightly higher speed to 0.4GHz.  Even on Ubuntu, my old laptop outperforms the new one.

Comparison of the old and new systems.

new system - i3- 8130 @ 2.2 / 4MB cache/ No of cores = 2 - Threads 4 /Base Freq 2.2GHz/ Turbo Frequency 3.4Ghz  with 12GB RAM / 256GB SSD   --> Very slow         

old system - Pentium B 960 @ 2.2 / 2MB Cache/ Cores =2  Threads 2 / Base Freq 2.2GHz/ no Turbo Freq / 12 GB RAM / 1TB normal SATA disk --> Running very fast. 

Screen shots / details are in the attachment. 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

It sounds like the processor is being throttled. This could be temperature-related or it could be power-related. In either case, we cannot help you; you need to be talking to Lenovo about the policies that their BIOS has committed in ACPI.

...S

0 Kudos
Anil
Beginner

Thanks a lot @n_scott_pearson   I have already taken up with Lenovo a few days back and waiting for their response. 

0 Kudos
Anil
Beginner

Hi @n_scott_pearson ,

Lenovo has not responded to the query.

Do you suggest using softwares like Throttlestop?  (I am not comfortable to do so).  Is it likely to solve the problem?

Also, any other work around you can suggest?

Thanks in advance

Anil

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

No, I don't recommend using this class of software. I have nothing further to suggest; you need to ask Lenovo what is going on.

...S

0 Kudos
Anil
Beginner
0 Kudos