Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14527 Discussions

New uCode for Broadwell-E break overclock capabylity!

idata
Employee

Dear Intel.

After last windows update with security patches(updated microcode with protection Spectre v2) on 6-8 cores Broadwell-E(uCode version:0x1C) break ability overclock.

Operating system set maximum multiplier equal Turbo Boost for one core.

And on this update assigned uCode for Haswell-E indenticaly Haswell-EP(Xeon E5v3).Wil be 0x19 by fact is 0x3C.

Links for confirmation:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?104978-Broadwell-E-users-watch-out-for-Windows-10-KB4100347-update Broadwell E users watch out for Windows 10 KB4100347 update

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi NX_ECX: We will do our best to assist you with this scenario.

Thank you very much for sharing that information, it will be very helpful for all the peers viewing this thread.

Spectre Variant 2 is the only variant that is reliant on the microcode update in addition to the Operating System update. Protection from Spectre Variant 2 requires to apply both Microcode/BIOS updates and OS updates. Microcode updates alone are not sufficient. OS updates alone are not sufficient.

The OS update is provided by Microsoft, so in this case to get further assistance on this matter please get in contact directly with Microsoft or with the manufacturer of the motherboard to verify any details about the BIOS configuration:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us

Regards,

Alberto R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Dear Alberto R.

But when appplied last security patch Windows 10 force enable Spectre protection.

Confirmation work security Spectre on MB without implented last uCode

Spectre security enabled

Spectre spectre disabled:

Time for multithread compilation with active Spectre protection increased about 25 percents.

With only active Melltdown protection i have not I/O penalty

Best Regards.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

NX_ECX: Thank you very much for that information.

To get further assistance on this matter, please get in contact with the developer or manufacturer of the update for your system.

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
QD
Beginner

I'm sorry but this is totally unacceptable from both Intel and Microsoft. it's been over 2 weeks and my ability to overclock on the i7 6950X is completely broken! even after i uninstalled the KB4100347 update the problem STILL persists. It's permanent! so angry and frustrated right now!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

iamthewizard2: We are sorry to hear that, we understand your frustration but the resolution for this matter will be to contact the manufacturer of the computer or to contact Microsoft so they can provide further assistance on this regard.

Additionally, we recommend to keep checking the Intel® news room site for possible updates on this subject:

https://newsroom.intel.com/

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos