Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14506 Discussions

Overheating - Lenovo says it is ok? Core i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz 2.21 GHz

WarrenLion
Novice

Hey guys

Thanks in advance for your advice

The machine runs at an average of 90c. 

The fans are running most of the time to cool it down plus there is thermal throttling happening often. 

Is this ok for the machine to run at such high temps or is this not ok?

As Lenovo says it's fine to run at these temps?? 

See the test below with Intel's Extreme Tuning Utility App – running now for an hour or so with normal apps running not heavy loads on the CPU etc as the CPU is running at 10% but the average temp is 90c

See the file logging from the app attached. 

Annotation 2020-07-03 141908.jpg

Machine Specs:

Lenovo Legion Y530-15ICH - Type 81FV

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz 2.21 GHz

Windows 10 pro

Installed memory (RAM): 16 GB (15.9 GB usable)

64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor

The machine still under warranty/ machine is now 13 months old

Thanks again

Warren

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
AlHill
Super User

It is simple.  You have Intel XTU installed.  Intel XTU supports only X and K processors.  You have an H processor.   You should uninstall XTU, and reset your bios to defaults.  If you need help with the bios, contact lenovo.  Using XTU on your laptop may cause undesirable results.

The overheating problem may or may not be resolved by this.  You should ask Lenovo why XTU is installed in the first place.

Doc

View solution in original post

11 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Why are you running XTU?  You have an H processor.  XTU only supports X and K processors.

Uninstall XTU, and reset your bios to defaults.

Doc

WarrenLion
Novice

Hi Al,

Thanks for your help. Not sure why its like this. 

This is the setup it had when I bought it from Lenovo although they just replaced the CPU and RAM.

Could you explain or give me a link to explain exactly how to what you are saying... as I am not high tech...  

so when I do that will it solve the overheating issue?

Thanks

Warren

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

It is simple.  You have Intel XTU installed.  Intel XTU supports only X and K processors.  You have an H processor.   You should uninstall XTU, and reset your bios to defaults.  If you need help with the bios, contact lenovo.  Using XTU on your laptop may cause undesirable results.

The overheating problem may or may not be resolved by this.  You should ask Lenovo why XTU is installed in the first place.

Doc

WarrenLion
Novice

Thanks Doc

I will check with Lenovo and see what they say. 

Where did you see that XTU is installed? in the data dump?

Thanks

Warren

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

LOL! Your original post included a screenshot of XTU running!

Did you happen to have the processor upgraded? This feels like the case where the cooling solution in the laptop is insufficient to support the higher wattage processor. While it is true that it is perfectly normal to see temperatures sitting in the high 80s/low 90s while running heavy-duty benchmark programs (some people call them 'games'), you should only see spikes going this high otherwise. If it takes almost no load to cause the temperature to rise and stay there for long periods (say, 10+ minute periods), then there is something drastically wrong. If the processor was replaced with the same one and you now see temperatures like this, then the processor was not properly installed! Either the TIM is improperly applied or the thermal mass is not firmly attached to the processor.

Hope this helps,

...S

WarrenLion
Novice

Hi Scott

LOL indeed I now know what an XTU is ... thanks for that. 

Just uninstalled it and set everything back to default. 

Here is the reason I installed the XTU in the first place. 

I was having bluescreens and read somewhere that it could be due to overheating... i then installed to XTU to throttle the power supply... never knew about the conflict etc.

So what app should I use to monitor the CPU temp? 

Thanks so much

0 Kudos
WarrenLion
Novice

Thanks

Just ran a Lenovo scan and got this error 

Result Code:

WPE0000100001-UG8B0G

Could that be causing issues, overheating or bluescreens?

is that hardware or software?

Annotation 2020-07-04 131007.jpg

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Ask Lenovo.  They provide support for their laptos.

Doc

n_scott_pearson
Super User

AIDA64 is the premiere app for monitoring, IMHO. It is a paid app, however, but well worth it. If you must have free, AIDA64 does have a trial period where you can use it for free. Otherwise, Al is correct; HWiNFO64 is the best of the freebee applications.

...S