Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14506 Discussions

Perfomance Balanced memory

Dox777
Novice

Hello Team!

Could you answer me about perfomance CPU if we use different memory configurations: the same size dimms and various size dimms ?

For example

The first configuration

2x6132 Intel 12*16Gb

and

The second conf

2x6132 Intel 6*16Gb 6*32Gb

As I can see for the first conf - use SIX channel of memory.

But for the second conf - use THREE channel of memory.

Or it is not ?

Which different perfomance between two configurations ?

Thank you in advance!

0 Kudos
8 Replies
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello Dox777, Thank you for posting on the Intel ® communities. I would need some more information of the CPU itself as well as the memory models and part numbers, this way I will be able to determine more information about the different configuration. Please provide me with the model of the CPU in question as well. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Dox777
Novice

Hello David,

Of course!

The server has

CPU model - 2 x Intel Gold 6132.

Memory - 6 x 16Gb RDIMM 2666 and 6 x 32Gb RDIMM 2666.

Thefore for per CPU we have 3 x 16Gb and 3 x 32Gb.

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello Dox777, Thank you for your response. I appreciate the time to provide me with the information. I am currently looking into this, I will get back to you as soon as possible. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel
Hello Dox777, The most basic compatibility info for this processor could be found on the following URL: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/123541/intel-xeon-gold-6132-processor-19-25m-cache-2-60-ghz.html However, as per the memory balancing and population rules it is pretty much dependent of the board itself. The usual rule of thumb is to not mismatch different types of memory. In this case you are using the same frequency with different sizes. On the previous URL only states that the processor supports max of 6 memory channels but about how to populate them is related to be board. Could you tell what board model are you using? Regards. Jose A. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Dox777
Novice

Hello Team!

The board model is Intel S2600BP.

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel
Hello Dox777, For this board you can find the memory population rules on the following document: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/server-products/server-boards/Intel_Server_Board_S2600BP_and_Compute_Module_HNS2600BP_Product_Family_TPS.pdf From section 4.3.1 DIMM Population Guidelines it details the supported memory configurations in case of 1 and 2 CPUs, memory types, ranks, density and sizes. Please take a careful look at the tables and let us know in case you have further questions. Hopes this helps Jose A. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel
Hello Dox777, Do you have any further details, updates, questions or comments in regards to this issue? This thread will be marked as resolved automatically in the next 72 hours if no activity is received. Regards Jose A. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel
Hello Dox777, We will proceed to mark this thread as resolved. If you have further issues or questions just go ahead and create a new topic. Jose A. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos