Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14944 Discussions

Problem after waking from suspend on linux

DoctorDan
Beginner

Hello,

i have a system with an i9-10850K. Several months ago I I was having problems with the integrated video not working correctly. This was resolved with your help, partially my installing a AMD graphics card and partly by linux updates that eventually resolved the isse.

now ther is a different problem. It is reproducible on both Fedora and Debian. When the machine wakes from suspend, it allows me to enter my password (most of the time but sometimes the screen is just blank)  and the desktop displays. Any apps that were open, like a file manager or browser, reappear but they are totally unresponsive. Clicking of any kind on desktop icons has no effect. After a wait of about 5 minutes everything begins to respond. 

This happens after every wake and with different desktop flavors such as cinnamon and kde plasma.

I have an AMD box with an almost identical software configuration. It is immediately responsive after wake.  I have taken the hard drive from the i9 and used it to boot the AMD box. The long period of unresponsiveness does NOT occur.

I have tried adding GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="intel_idle. Max_cstate=1" as suggested on the web.

I have been fighting with this for over a month and am about ready to dump the machine entirely if there is no fix for this problem.

I hope that you can help.

Thank you

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello DoctorDan

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities. We understand that you are experiencing problems when waking your system from suspended mode.

Just for testing purposes, could you try to replicate this issue using a Windows Operating System Environment?

Once you try a Windows Operating System, please create a system report using the Intel System Support Utility (Intel SSU) 

• Download the Intel SSU
  • Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel SSU will take you to the "Summary View."
  • Click on the menu where it says: "Summary" to change it to "Detailed View."
  • To save your scan: click on "Next"; then "Save."

Best regards,

Jean O. 

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
DoctorDan
Beginner

Hi,

The wake problem does not occur when windows is running.

The scan is attached.

Also and unrelated, your web site has a problem. When I try to login it says:

The claims exchange 'REST-EmailIsFederated' specified in step '3' returned HTTP error response with Code 'InternalServerError' and Reason 'Internal Server Error'.

It then rejects my password. When I choose forgot, it does not send an email, just tries to login again which fails again.

The one-time code works.

Thanks

0 Kudos
DoctorDan
Beginner

Also, clicking the submit button in ssu gives:

Hmm. We’re having trouble finding that site.

We can’t connect to the server at servicerequestmgmt.intel.com.

If you entered the right address, you can:

Try again later
    Check your network connection
    Check that Firefox has permission to access the web (you might be connected but behind a firewall)

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello DoctorDan,

Thanks for waiting for a response.

Since this issue is not present on Windows, we recommend you contact the Linux distributors to get the drivers to require and further support on the Operating System.

Best regards,

Jean O. 

0 Kudos
DoctorDan
Beginner

Yeah,  well...  The "drivers" of which you speak originate with intel. The forums are loaded with reports of people having trouble of various kinds with the intel-supplied drivers. Linux suppliers do not create their own kntel[specific drivers. If they did,  the problems would either not be universal across all linux flavors or they would be different on different distros.

I appreciate that the simple answer to any linux issue is to blame the supplier. It's well known thsn Intel has never created either a hardware or software that ever had a bug,  except for the math errornin the 8086, etc,  etc.

It's pretty clear that the problem is some interaction between the way intelmhas design its drivers and the power management hardware and that windows handles the interaction differently - bynusing its own drivers rather thsn intel's.

So,  with all due respect, your suggestion to contact my "suppliers" is a cop-out. Of course I attempted that before I posted here hoping for some help. The linux folks have no clue as to the nature of the problem and therefore don't know what might be fixable.

I know how to make the problem go away - abandon intel processors and use AMD. I've been a loyal intel customer since the 8088 but if you can't/won't help then I guess I have no choice but to look elsewhere. You can rest assured that I willmpost your reponse in the linux forums. Perhaps others can be forewarned not to choose intel processors for their builds. 

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello DoctorDan,

Thanks for your response. We understand your frustration about the problem you are experiencing.

We will look further into this scenario and provide a response at our earliest convenience.

Best regards,

Jean O.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello DoctorDan,

Thanks for waiting for our response.

As we mentioned before, we recommend you contact the Linux distro for further support since the issue is not present on Windows and only on Linux. The Operating System Vendor will have more information regarding their latest OS revision support.

If the processor works on a Windows Environment, this indicates that the issue is not related to your processor, and instead, it is related to the Operating System.

Best regards,

Jean O.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello DoctorDan,

We hope you are doing fine.

We have not heard back from you. So we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards.

Jean O. 

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos