Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14506 Discussions

Processor Upgrade Advice

User_Of_Inspiron_1420

*I am asking these questions in quora,reddit and dell website to get more advice.

I am currently using a Dell Inspiron 1420 running T5250 processor. There are three questions I want to ask. I want to upgrade it to either T7700 or T8300.So:

1.Is it compatible with my computer?

2.Which is better and faster(I don't care about the price just the speed as the prices are almost the same)?

3.Do I need to buy new heatsink or CPU fan to upgrade it or I can continually use the heatsink and CPU fan of T5250?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AlHill
Super User

The first thing to do is to contact dell and ask what processors are compatible with the inspiron 1420 bios.  Then, you may select from those.  An upgrade processor must be socket, chipset, AND BIOS compatible.

As far as a comparison of the processors, look here:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/compare.html?productIds=30786,29762,33099

As far as a new heatsink/fan, no, they all are 35w.

In my opinion, it makes no sense to upgrade a 14 year old processor to another 14 year old processor.   It would be better for you to spend your time and money on a new/newer system that has an 8th gen or greater processor.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Windows 11 is the new Vista]

User_Of_Inspiron_1420

I see some other forums where other users uses T9300 using the same model of my computer so I guess the BIOS and GM965 motherboard will support it.OK nice that removes my fear of needing to buy a new heatsink/fan!

In your opinion will you choose T8300 or T7700 if you want better performance when their prize is almost the same(less than 1 USD)?

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello User_Of_Inspiron_1420,

Due to this product being discontinued, Intel Customer Service no longer supports inquiries for it, I am glad to see that fellow community members have the knowledge and they jumped in and are helping you. You may also find the Discontinued Products website helpful to address your request. 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/discontinued-products.html

You can verify this product's discontinuance status at the Intel Product Specifications website > Product Status > "Discontinued".

Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel. Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Josue O.

Intel Customer Support Technician

n_scott_pearson
Super User

I agree with Al; this is throwing good money for bad. Upgrading the processor from one Core 2 Duo to another is going to offer little tangible benefit. 

...S

User_Of_Inspiron_1420

Haha in fact I found a cheap bargain that the T8300 only cost $6 and T7700 that cost about the same price.It may be fake but the website is very trustworthy as I can refund if the item is fake(I use that website many times before).

When I am going to the university until then a new laptop is needed.So currrently I just want this computer to be faster.

Anyway,thanks for everyone's help here!

0 Kudos