Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

Processor suggestions please

gbmaps
Beginner

What I want is a lightning fast processor(s) capable of working with 2d vector graphics software such as adobe illustrator and QGIS. I never play games and don't do video editing, phpotoshop or 3d rendering, i don't play music or videos, just vector graphics.

The history behind my requirement and my current processor...

I use vector graphics(Adobe Illustrator) and QGIS mapping software 95% of the time. I work with very complicated and detailed vector graphics which take a long time to process because only use a single core is used to process vector graphics(apparently). The time it takes me to do tasks is a real pain.

I was previously using an I7 7700k 4.5ghz with 64gb of Predator DDR4 ram, M.2 ssd, liquid cooled etc.  It performed pretty well, actually quite fast but I was still waiting a long time while working on complex maps. Working with a GTX1080ti Graphics card.

I decided to upgrade and did this around 2 months ago. I purchased an i9 -10940x 3.3ghz, s2066 and all the same stuff as above as it was all pretty good apart from the graphics card which I bought  an rtx2070s. I've gone back to using th e1080ti and shelved the rtx because it didn't seem as good.  

Unfortunately this doesn't actually feel like an 'upgrade' because I'm still waiting for my vector graphics to process.  (When i look at the processor cores being used when doing my vector tasks, only one of the 28 available cores is being heavily used. If I do other stuff, a lot more of the cores spring into action.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello gbmaps,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

I was checking your case and I understand that even after the upgrade of your processor, whenever you work with the vector graphics, the processor core usage will decrease.

There is some information that I would like to confirm and I would appreciate if you could provide the following:

Please run the following tool and attach the reports generated.   

Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) Download link 

1.       Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. 

2.      By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".   

3.       Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".   

4.       To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".

Run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool and send the results in a .txt file.

To save the report, once the test is done, click on "File >> View Results File" and attach the .txt file to your reply.

• Does this behavior occur with only with Adobe Illustrator*? Have you tried different utilities for testing?

Esteban D.

Intel Technical Support Technician  

0 Kudos
gbmaps
Beginner

Hi Esteban, 

Thanks for responding.  I've attached the file you ask for along with some screenshots of what the processor usage looks like while opening a medium sized file in each of the 3 vector graphics packages I regularly use. I also did a screenshot of when the processor test was running.

I've tested the speed of the machine by running side by side with the older i7 7700k machine and literally clicking the open button on a copy of the same file on both machines at the same time.  They are pretty much the same speed at opening files, the older i7 machine seems slightly faster when using vector software but that might just be in my mind.  

I thought this would be super fast with a noticeable difference in speed but really disappointed so far. 

I've tried to contact Adobe, QGIS and Inkscape to ask what processor and setup they would recommend to get the very best performance but none have replied.  I can't believe that developers or professional users of such applications are suffering the same slow performance which is why I think I must have the wrong processor.  

I thought the days of setting my machine to do a task and then going to make a coffee while it completed were over, but it appears not

Any help or advice on the best processor to go for would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Andrew

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello gbmaps,

Thank you so much for your response and the information attached.

To ensure the processor’s top performance there are several factors that we need to take in consideration and that I would like to cover with you:

1. Please ensure that your motherboard has the latest BIOS version installed. For that I would strongly recommended checking your motherboard manufacturer website for further instructions.
  2. If any change was made in BIOS, I would recommend restoring it back to defaults and check results.
  3. Have you tried performing this workload with the “Max Turbo Frequency” Disabled? If not, please give it a try and check the outcome with me.  Usually there should be a switch in BIOS, you can check with your OEM for guidance as all BIOS vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.
  4. Please check for operating system updates. We should have the OS with the latest build.

After checking the results from the IPDT we can see that the processor functionality is fine and the device is working as expected. I would consider that it would be great to check with the software developer for any reported issue, recommended changes to perform in the program to increase performance or recommended setup.

If you have any update from them, please let me know.

Esteban D.

0 Kudos
gbmaps
Beginner

Hi, I will follow the things you've suggested but I don't think it's a problem with the software.  The nature of vector graphics is that it requires a very fast single thread cpu performance.  It's not possible to process vector graphics in the same way as video editing or raster graphics. Vector graphics are processed using a single thread. 

What I think I'm looking for is the fastest single thread CPU that I can find(and afford) so I can build a machine that isn't holding me up?  Do you know what the fastests single thread cpu's are please? 

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello gbmaps,

Thank you for your response.

Please allow me confirm that information on my side.

I will provide an update in the thread as soon as possible.

Esteban D.

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello gbmaps,

I would like to provide an update in this thread.

To answer your questions, I would like to inform you that for this generation the Intel® Core™ i9-10900K Processor has higher frequencies for single-threaded apps. (5.3 GHz) compared to the 4.8 GHz that your current processor is able to reach.

I would like to share with the following link you so you can confirm the differences between both processors.

At the end, this is due to the kind of workload that “Vector Graphics” will perform. If you are looking to improve the performance for single-threaded workloads, this processor is the most appropriate one for this kind of task.

Additionally, I would strongly recommend to check with the application developer in order to see if this workload really goes to the processor or if it should be faster on the GPU (If possible).

I hope you find this information useful.

Esteban D.

0 Kudos
gbmaps
Beginner

Hi Esteban,

Thanks for your suggestion. I find it difficult to believe that a £600 processor is the fastest possible single thread performance processor out there at the moment? 

I am looking for the fastest, commercial, very high performance processor for single threaded applications.

I have been to various benchmarking sites and can see the processor you recommend is quite quick but is it really the best that Intel has to offer?

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello gbmaps,

Thank you for your response.

Correct, the Intel® Core™ i9-10900K Processor is the fastest for single-threaded tasks.

I hope this helps.

Esteban D.

0 Kudos
gbmaps
Beginner

Hi Esteban,

I still find this hard to believe.. Are you saying that formula 1 teams designing complex components or spaceX designing rockets or the ordnance survey designing hugely complex maps or indeed the processor that Intel Chip designers use, are all using this processor(or similar)?.

I had expected there to be something costing thousands of pounds that was truly fast? Sorry for the seemingly repetitive questions but I just want to make sure I'm getting message across.   

Thanks again.

(I'll leave you alone now) Cheers.

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello gbmaps,

I understand, remember that we are here to help and any feedback is welcome and much appreciated.

We need to consider that this processor would be the fastest and with best performance for the kind of workload that your tasks require. In this case Single threaded tasks. For this kind of workload you would prefer to have a processor with a smaller number of cores, but with a higher base frequency and a higher Turbo boost frequency feature.

However, for other tasks, there might be processors that will have a better performance than the one recommended.

At the end, we need to think in the kind of usage that we are going to give to the device to find the processor or components that best meet those requirements and ensure top performance.

Esteban D.

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello gbmaps, 

We have not heard back from you. 

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question  and we will be more than glad to assist you.

Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer being monitored  

Esteban D.  

Intel Technical Support Technician   

0 Kudos