Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14503 Discussions

Product information

denguir
Beginner

Hi, 

I would by a new Pc.

I would have a I5-11th generation processor Core.

I found two models with the I5-1135G7: one of them have an Nvidia graphics card, the other Intel IrisXe.

When I search on the net to compare the two GPU, I found that some of the Intel IrisXe has better result with some softwares and vice-versa.

My question is: Is the Iris Xe an integrated GPU like the Intel HDGraphics? that means that if I buy the PC with the Nvidia GPU, Can I shifht between the two Processor?

Or, if I buy the PC with the Nvidia GPU, I will not get the Iris Xe?

I know that my question is relatively weird, but I didn't found any information on the web or in other places.

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
n_scott_pearson
Super User

The Core i5-1135G7 processor has an Iris Xe integrated graphics (iGFX) engine. If you are seeing an NVidia discrete graphics (dGFX) engine included, then you are talking about a laptop or desktop system-level product that has this dGFX engine integrated into it. This may be either as a motherboard feature or as an add-in graphics card. Depending upon which Nvidia dGFX engine is included, this may or may not be better-performing than the Iris Xe iGFX engine, though I would presume this to be the case; there wouldn't be much of a reason for integrating it otherwise!

Iris Xe is indeed integrated into the processor. This integration is pretty much identical to that of the Intel HD and UHD iGFX engines of previous generations that preceded it. Regardless of the presence of an Nvidia dGFX engine, the Iris Xe iGFX engine will be present and can (still) be used.

In most desktop systems, the BIOS default is usually that the iGFX engine will be disabled if a dGFX engine is detected. Most desktop BIOS, however, have a setup parameter that can be used to specify that the iGFX engine should be enabled regardless of the presence of a dGFX engine. You can choose to (always) enable the iGFX engine to support additional displays or simply to be available for other operations (transcoding, etc.).

In Laptop and All-in-One Desktop systems, it is common for the dGFX engine to output through the iGFX engine and thus the iGFX engine is always enabled and 'owns' the connected displays. This is especially the case if USB-C with DisplayPort Alt Mode or Thunderbolt is supported. It is becoming common for the USB-C support to be integrated into the processor SoC or Chipset component.

Your questions are not at all weird; they are, in fact, quite common.

...S

0 Kudos