Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14507 Discussions

RAM modules limit for i9-10980XE ? 4 or more ?

vm-geek
Novice

Hello,

I want to buy an Intel® Core™ i9-10980XE Extreme Edition and use it on an Asus WS X299 SAGE/10G motherboard.

But, in the Intel i9-10980XE specifications, I see "Max # of Memory Channels : 4".

Since the Asus WS X299 SAGE/10G motherboard have 8 slots of RAM, can I use 8 slots or only 4 slots with this CPU ?

Note : I want to be able to use 256 GB of RAM (which is supported by this asus motherboard). Because I need maximum performance for virtualization and other tests.

Thanks in advance

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

vm-geek, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In reference to your question, yes, you will be able to use the 8 memory RAM slots. Just to let you know, for each memory channel, there are 2 memory RAM slots, that is why you will be able to use them without any problems.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

vm-geek, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In reference to your question, yes, you will be able to use the 8 memory RAM slots. Just to let you know, for each memory channel, there are 2 memory RAM slots, that is why you will be able to use them without any problems.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

n_scott_pearson
Super User

Let me add a few cautions: 

1. The higher the default (XMP enabled) clock speed of the DIMMs is above the max supported frequency for the processor, the lower the chances of getting a full 8 DIMMs to work. Stick with DIMMs supporting the max supported frequency for your processor.
  2. The documentation for many DIMMs will actually tell you whether two DIMMs will work together on a single channel. If they same one DIMM per channel, then don't expect it to work.

...S

vm-geek
Novice

Hello,
a big thank you for your answers and your precise informations

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

vm-geek, You are very welcome, thank you very much for your response.

Thank you also to n_scott_pearson for sharing those additional details. It is great to hear the information provided was useful for you.

Any other inquiries, do not hesitate to contact us again.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos