Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
15166 Discussions

Solution for Intel CPU Stability Issues: Lower Temps & Better Performance

zzetta
New Contributor III

Hi everyone,

I've been working on resolving stability problems with Intel CPUs(mine is a 14700kf) and wanted to share my findings. Initially, I discovered that raising the IA AC loadline helped, but it resulted in significantly higher temperatures. To address this, I explored alternative settings and found a more effective solution.

### My Findings:

1. **Temperature Reduction**: By adjusting the settings, I managed to lower the CPU temperatures by 10-15°C compared to my initial approach.

2. **Improved Performance**: Applications and games are running smoother, with noticeable performance improvements.

### Key Changes I Made:

1. **Set CPU Vcore Loadline to Turbo**: This adjustment was crucial, because it has less vdroop. It mirrors the configuration I used successfully on the old Z390 platform with my i9-9900K, which was the default case for those old chips. Vcore loadlines were not this droopy on default.

2. **Adjust IA AC and IA DC Loadline to 1**: Setting both IA AC and IA DC loadlines to 1 allows starting from the baseline voltage values defined in the VID table. Note that "1" is the value for Gigabyte boards. On other motherboards, like Asus, the equivalent setting would be "0.01".

- **Default Vcore Loadline**: The default Vcore loadline is quite droopy. This droop causes instability, especially in specific scenarios such as launching certain applications. For me, the initial launch of PUBG was particularly problematic.

- **Voltage Reduction on Low Loads**: With the new approach, the voltage during low loads like gaming has been reduced significantly. Previously, the voltage would sit at around 1.5 volts with the default loadline during gaming sessions. Now, it stays at a much lower 1.33 volts.

### Conclusion:

By setting the IA AC and IA DC loadlines to 1 and adjusting the Vcore loadline to Turbo, I achieved lower temperatures and improved performance. These changes stabilized the CPU and eliminated the instability issues I faced with certain apps. Additionally, I tested my findings extensively, running the CPU at maximum usage, with power limits fully unlocked, and at 100°C non-stop for hundreds of hours. There were no signs of CPU degradation, confirming that the issue was not related to the CPUs degrading.

**Intel needs to reconsider their default Vcore loadline configuration to reduce the droopiness. Make it similar to the old platforms, like Z390. Doing so would mitigate issues with stability and temperatures across their CPUs!!**

I hope these findings help others facing similar stability issues. 

1 Solution
zzetta
New Contributor III

For people that tried my method and had no success with it. Beside using the settings I posted in my first message, please set a power limit too. You can try first 320w PL1 and PL2, if it fails go lower like 253 both, and if it fails too, then just set a core amp limit in concordance to intel's guideline. My method HAS to work, because my chip works perfectly fine with 0 performance loss.

View solution in original post

42 Replies
Mint-Martini
Novice
I just wanted to say that these settings seem to make my PC really stable ! I did your guide along with capping 253 PL limits and 307 amps This solved my stuttering problems in games too! If you don't mind me asking what does setting the load line to turbo do? And it seems like you did the testing but how confident are you that these settings are safe? What things should I be watching out for in HW info thanks again!
0 Kudos
zzetta
New Contributor III
I'm very happy that it worked for you.
Turbo loadline doesn't have that much vdroop compared to the auto setting, meaning that it will drop less voltage, but it still does have a bit for safety. As for the AC DC loadline set to 1, this means that the voltage used for your cpu will start from the VID table. If, for example, in your vid table the voltage for 5.5ghz is 1.3, then it will give the cpu 1.3 at low loads, or a bit less at high loads at the same frequency.

It is perfectly safe. In hwinfo monitor VR VOUT for the voltage and temps. But compared to the auto bios settings this should give you better temps, better voltage and more consistent performance.
0 Kudos
zzetta
New Contributor III

For people that tried my method and had no success with it. Beside using the settings I posted in my first message, please set a power limit too. You can try first 320w PL1 and PL2, if it fails go lower like 253 both, and if it fails too, then just set a core amp limit in concordance to intel's guideline. My method HAS to work, because my chip works perfectly fine with 0 performance loss.

zzetta
New Contributor III

Another thing to add here:

VERY IMPORTANT!!!
For the poeple that use my method and the CPU is still not stable, please find in your BIOS a VRM setting called "IA TDC Current Limit" and set it to other value than 0. There seems to be a bug where if you leave it on auto which is 0, the stability is lost even after fixing the Vcore loadline, or using a power limit for the CPU. For my case even setting the highest value which is 32768 fixed the issue regarding the power limits. 

I even unlocked all power limits and there is still no issue. What if this value which is ''0'' on default is somehow tripping the VRM or the CPU logic? Maybe a simple division(for example) that uses this '0' is adding to the probem.

I will add later some pictures with all the settings that made my CPU work with absolutely 0 issues.

0 Kudos
zzetta
New Contributor III

Here are the steps to follow after you entered your BIOS with a visual help. I am using a Gigabyte Motherboard with December 2023 BIOS because Gigabyte still hasn't updated their Z690 line:

1. Go to Advanced CPU settings menu:

Advanced CPU settings.jpg

2. Scroll down to Turbo Power Limits and ENABLE, then (ONLY IF YOU WANT!!!, if not ignore this step) max all of those options:

Turbo Power Limits.jpg

3. Go back and scroll down until you find Advanced Voltage settings and enter the menu:
Advanced Voltage Settings.jpg

4. SCroll down to CPU/VRM settings, enter it:

CPU VRM settings.jpg

5. Set CPU Vcore loadline to Turbo:
VCORE LOADLINE TURBO.jpg

NOTE: I have no idea what is the equivalent LLC for other brands.

6. Scroll down to Internal VR Control and change THESE 3 blue lined settings:

IA VR.jpg

On this step, change IA AC and IA DC both to '1'. Go down to IA TDC CURRENT LIMIT and change that to a value that you want that is different from 0. You can set it depending to how the motherboard vendor wants it to be set. For example on Gigabyte the value you see set by me '32768' is divided by 8, and the result is the AMPS the VRM will be able to give to the CPU. It's different from vendor to vendor. It's your job to understand that. This third value HAS to be changed from 0, otherwise the CPU or the VRM will be buggy, adding to the instability. What I am saying is that ''0'' on that option somehow bugs the power regulation. 

From my testing having it maxed works just fine. You can reduce the CORE AMPS(CURRENT) from the menu at STEP 2 at CORE CURRENT LIMITS to anything you like, lower than 512. 

In regards to other options that intel recommends, yes the BIOS has TVB and ETVB enabled by default. IA CEP is disabled. 

These settings will give you:

a. Way lower operating voltage. Mine maxed to 1.36v.

b. A needed and safe amount of VDROOP.

c. Stability in anything, regardless the app used: Prime95, Cinebench R15, Unreal 5 games. It works with 0 issues, performance is increased.

d. WAY LOWER TEMPS!!! I am using an air cooler and it barely reaches 80c on heavy games.

Mint-Martini
Novice
And I just want to say thank you so much! I followed your settings again and my PC problems are just simply gone!
I've been keeping an eye on my voltage and It seems to hover around 1.347 with a maximum of 1.479. my golden rules to try to keep under 1.5 and this I think absolutely guarantees it thank you

This needs so many more up votes
0 Kudos
zzetta
New Contributor III

I'm happy it does work for you. 

This leads me to belileve that IA TDC CURRENT LIMIT might actually be the problem in regards to the power regulation at the cpu level. That's why even when setting a very conservative power level from the menu at step 2, without setting a positive IA TDC LIMIT value, doesn't help with the instability problem. Maybe this TDC value that defaults at 0 is causing those algorithm issues taht intel is trying to fix.

I encourage more people to try these settings. My 14700kf works perfectly, not only that it is even more powerful in benches and efficient.

For the degradation speculation, I do not believe there is any degradation. 

0 Kudos
Mint-Martini
Novice
Out of curiosity what is your gigabyte perf drive? I have a feeling that's leading to leading to a higher v-core since I'm running the 14900k and it's going to clock up to 6 GHz
0 Kudos
zzetta
New Contributor III
My motherboard doesn't have that option.
JamesPang
Novice

Thanks for the guide; it works. I was able to pass shader compilation in The Last of Us Part 1, Immortals of Aveum, and The First Descendant without any crashes

0 Kudos
zzetta
New Contributor III

I'm happy that it helped you.

This guide has to work universally, on all CPU samples and all motherboards.

0 Kudos
ysk_PLUZ
New Contributor I

素晴らしい情報を提供して頂きありがとうございます。

残念ですが私の環境では温度は下がりましたが、パフォーマンスも約半分(Cinebench R23で42000から19000)まで下がりました。

しかし、確かに温度は低くなり安定もしているので選択肢の一つになるはずです。

0 Kudos
zzetta
New Contributor III

First make sure you reset to defaults, disable Intel Default Settings, then apply the settings as shown in the images.

0 Kudos
ysk_PLUZ
New Contributor I

返信ありがとうございます。

CMOSクリア後に行いましたが、私の使用しているASRock製のM/Bには【IA TDC CURRENT LIMIT】が見当たらないので

それが原因かもしれません。

Load Intel Base Power Limit SettingsをDisabled  CPU Core Unlimited Current LimitをEnabledにしました。

0 Kudos
zzetta
New Contributor III

I don't have any knowledge on how to tweak Asrock boards. You have to find the corresponding settings. If the performance is halved it's probably because IA CEP is enabled by default. Disable it yourself.

0 Kudos
ysk_PLUZ
New Contributor I

IA CEPを無効にするとBSODが発生しました。

IA TDC CURRENT LIMIT】に対応する項目も発見できないので

残念ですがこの方法は断念するしかないようです。

0 Kudos
-WUB-
Beginner

I've been following this thread during July, and it seems interesting to me. I bought the processor (i7-13700k) about 2 months ago, and I still haven't built my PC because I'm afraid it might fail, but I wanted to know if I can apply this configuration to prevent the inevitable.

P.S. Sorry for my English, I'm not a native speaker and this is my first PC.

0 Kudos
Mint-Martini
Novice
Hey your English is fine! I understood exactly what you saying! Other people can correct me but honestly it's hard to say about the degradation. I wash a lot of videos and I can link you if you would like but we really don't know exactly what causes it yet and Intel isn't really saying. We have suspicions that it's based on voltage but we're not really sure. I can tell you that you are better off no matter what with your PC having these power limits/settings enabled
0 Kudos
-WUB-
Beginner

Thank you very much, Mint. I’ll be keeping an eye on the thread in case of any updates.

0 Kudos
zzetta
New Contributor III

These chips do not fail. The motherboards have wacky settings that can be corrected if you follow my guide. 

0 Kudos
RippedBy14900KS

Wont even work unless I limit it to 200W and 5.0 on all P cores. On a 14900KS btw. LOL 

Let's wait till the "Experts" that created this mess fix it. 

0 Kudos