Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14536 Discussions

Spectre and meltdown attacks affected cpus

IInte3
Novice

Is there any official statement to see what cpus are affected by those attacks?

I'm interested more in Intel pentium g3248, g4560, Q6600 are those affected by both meltdown and spectre?

Is there any intel cpu not affected at all by those 2 attacks?

48 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

That's good to hear - and you're welcome. As for forums, I have moved this conversation into the Desktop Boards forum where it more-properly belongs.

...S

0 Kudos
RDieh
Beginner

Hi, I think only posts 31 thru 41 ( conversations about updating my BIOS) should be moved. The rest of the conversations all involve CPU's and or Meltdown/Spectre hacks--which should be in Processors---or perhaps a Security forum is there is one. imho

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You're right; I moved it back to the Processor forum. There is no separate forum for Security; perhaps there should be...

...S

0 Kudos
JJarm1
Beginner

I received a fix from MS to Win 10 pro. it slows down my computer significantly. I attached results. Software used for testing was PerformanceTest 64 bit by Passmark. Hardware is Lenovo Thinkpad T440s model 20ARS04W00. First test was right before installing update. Next 3 after update. I could not first believe my eyes. But you can see results...

So Intel says that affect is not noticed by average user. That simply is not true.

Everybody who uses his/her computer every day like I do, will see (and pay) for the difference ;-(

0 Kudos
SJon1
Beginner
  • Install the Microsoft Windows 10 OS Kernel Patch:

Windows 10 Build (1607) KB4056890

Windows 10 Build (1703) KB4056891

Windows 10 Build (1709) KB4056892

• Flash your motherboard / computer with the manufacturers latest BIOS (still in the works)
  • Install your motherboard / computer manufacturers latest Chipset driver (still in the works) Intel Management Engine 11.8 or newer corrects the issue

And if you're still worried about your computers security, Google "Intel Management Engine backdoor".

https://it.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=10717233&cid=54579757 https://it.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=10717233&cid=54579757

0 Kudos
PVone1
Beginner

Dear Intel, it is becoming even more messy https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/cz/cs/product_security/ps500151 Reading Privileged Memory with a Side Channel

Quote from Lenovo: Withdrawn CPU Microcode Updates: Intel provides to Lenovo the CPU microcode updates required to address Variant 2, which Lenovo then incorporates into BIOS/UEFI firmware. Intel recently notified Lenovo of quality issues in two of these microcode updates, and concerns about one more. These are marked in the product tables with "Earlier update X withdrawn by Intel" and a footnote reference to one of the following:

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello to everyone: We just wanted to inform that currently we are working and doing further research on this subject, as soon as I get any updates I will post all the details on this thread.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R

PRoge1
Beginner

Five years? What about the Conroes I use daily, with Linux (not a distro, from scratch)? They use speculative execution so are presumably just as vulnerable. I see some microcode updates are available for Conroes, but do they fix the Spectre bug?

0 Kudos
TBest1
Beginner

What about the Ivy Bridge CPUs?

When will you give Microcode to Vendors like Asus, ASRock and all the others?

You can't be serious to sell so vulnerable devices and then sit on your back thinking, they should buy new hardware to solve their Problem.

I tell you something, this was my last cpu i bought from INTEL if nothing happens, and i believe this in not only my mind!

0 Kudos
PVone1
Beginner

Lenovo has added .20 ThinkPad series (Sandy Bridge) to list of future BIOS updates, so you can expect updates for Ivy Bridge as well.

0 Kudos
DBaci
Beginner

Hello Intel

I've a Intel PC with Desktop Mainboard DB75EN and CPU QuadCore Intel Core i5-3330, 3.00 GHz (Ivy Bridge) (buy in april 2013).

I have updated the BIOS to version ENB7510H.86A.0046 and Intel® Management Engine to version 8.1.71.3608 (version from 26.05.2017). When you want to update Intel® Management Engine (Intel ME) for Meltdown and Spectre vulnerabilities (e.g., Intel ME v.8.1.72.3002, recommended here: https://security-center.intel.com/advisory.aspx?intelid=INTEL-SA-00086&languageid=en-fr Intel® Product Security Center for 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ Processor Family) for Intel® Desktop Board DB75EN, the latest version of which is 8.1.71.3608 on your website https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/59043/Intel-Desktop-Board-DB75EN Downloads for Intel® Desktop Board DB75EN?

I used Intel-SA-00086-GUI.exe and it says the system is vulnerable.

Thank you for understanding and best regards.

Dorian B.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I don't have anything that definitively indicates this to be the case, but I would expect that, for boards that are affected by both INTEL-SA-00086 (i.e. ME, TXE and SPS Interface vulnerabilities) and INTEL-SA-00088 (i.e. Meltdown and Spectre vulnerabilities), the BIOS delivered will include both the ME firmware update and the microcode updates for all applicable processors.

Again, Intel has committed to delivering the updates for all affected processors by the end of the month. Any discussion before then regarding what is (or isn't) included is speculative and a waste of everyone's time. The bulk of those updates being seen for boards from 3rd-party manufacturers are for the very latest processors; support for the much older processors is, in most cases, still forthcoming. After the end of the month, if you think that there is something that Intel missed, we can have that discussion then (and we can be VERY LOUD about it!).

I hope this puts the discussion to bed (well, until the end of the month). IMHO, all of the speculation and whining and complaining that going on is thrashing both the ICS folks and the volunteers who are helping out here in the Intel Support Communities and is thus is slowing responsiveness to questions and reports of other issues. Let's do the right thing and table this discussion until the end of the month.

...S

0 Kudos
ERami8
Beginner

Any updates...Its past end of the month...???

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You don't read the news? Intel had to recall the Spectre microcode updates due to instability issues on some processors. During the subsequent root-cause analysis, it was determined that the instabilities could affect any platform. This essentially reset all of their schedules. The latest information can be found here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/facts-about-side-channel-analysis-and-intel-products.html Side Channel Attacks - Vulnerability Analysis, News, and Updates. There was also an announcement made today: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/02/intel-releases-new-spectre-microcode-update-for-skylake-other-chips-remain-in-beta/ Intel releases new Spectre microcode update for Skylake; other chips remain in beta | Ars Technica.

When a particular microcode package clears Beta, it will be released to board and system manufacturers. They will then, in turn, produce packages that will update their affected boards with the microcode package. Yopu should look to their support resource for information on when these packages will be available.

Intel's internal board and systems groups will need to to the same for their products. The following web pages have been established for announcing when update packages (which will typically take the form of BIOS release packages) will be made available:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000026620/mini-pcs.html INTEL-SA-00088 Schedule for Intel NUC, Compute Stick and Compute Card

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000026630/boards-and-kits/desktop-boards.html INTEL-SA-00088 Schedule for Intel Desktop Boards

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000026622/server-products.html INTEL-SA-00088 Schedule for Intel Server Boards, Systems and Accessories

There is currently not much information available in these pages; you will need to watch for updates.

...S

0 Kudos
ERami8
Beginner

I live in Australia this stuff does not get covered in the "news". Don't need to be arrogant buddie - its okay. Cheers for the update "news".

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Good evening! Please tell me where you can follow the release of firmware for the old CPU type of my i7-3930K Sandy Bridge E, maybe there is some link? if they are included at all in support. And the question is whether they are supported by Win10?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

First of all, understand that the workarounds for the Meltdown and SpectreA vulnerabilities need to be implemented in the Operating System. I believe that Microsoft has released updates for all active and supported versions of Windows and Windows Server that implement these workarounds. You should have already received this via Microsoft's Windows Update Service.

The microcode updates containing the fix for the SpectreB vulnerability are being released as fast as Intel can generate microcode and fully validate it. The latest schedule and guidance can be found here: https://newsroom.intel.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/11/2018/02/microcode-update-guidance.pdf Microcode Update Guidance 02-20-18 (PDF document). According to this guidance, your processor's microcode update is in Beta status (meaning that it is not yet available to end users).

Now, let's make sure you understand the process:

1. Intel releases the microcode updates to board and system vendors. These entities then release BIOS update packages that include the new microcode. You thus need to be looking to your board vendor for the delivery of this update.
  2. Linux and its derivatives also include a capability to install updated microcode. In this case, Intel delivers the microcode updates to the kernel and distro development teams and they are responsible for releasing updated distro releases containing these updated microcodes.

Hope that explains it all,

...S

0 Kudos
GMest
Beginner

N.Scott.Pearson

Only thing missing here is the answer to the question as to what happens with INTEL's own branded and now discontinued DESKTOP Boards.

Last info on this was reviewed a month ago in Article ID: 000026630.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I answered this before. If you go to this page: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000026630/boards-and-kits/desktop-boards.html INTEL-SA-00088 Schedule for Intel Desktop Boards, while it is true that they have not published a schedule as yet, if you click on the See All in the Find support for related products section, you will see what I interpret to be the full list of Intel Desktop Board products that they intend to release updates for. As you can see, this encompasses practically all of the 5 through 8 Series Intel Desktop Boards (coinciding with the 1st through 4th Generation Intel Core processors).

As the original and Feb. 20th update for the INTEL-SA-00088 Advisory has detailed, Intel's highest priority is to deliver updates for the processors produced over the past five years. Work on older processors will not begin until this goal has been met. Once this work is begun and schedules for the delivery of the microcode updates for these older processors have been established, they will then be able to assess when the updates can be delivered for the Desktop Boards.

Sorry I can't do any better than this. It is what it is.

...S

0 Kudos
PVone1
Beginner

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2018/03/01/update-on-spectre-and-meltdown-security-updates-for-windows-devices/ Update on Spectre and Meltdown security updates for Windows devices - Windows Experience BlogWindows Experience Blog

We will offer additional microcode updates from Intel as they become available to Microsoft.

So yes, Microsoft will deliver CPU microcode updates if hw vendors are not interested for older devices.

0 Kudos
ERami8
Beginner

Hello Intel,

I have two products from you guys:

Intel Desktop Board DZ77GA-70K - Mainboard

Intel Core i7-3770K - CPU

No BIOS updates have been released for my mainboard and no cpu updates have been released for the CPU on Windows x64 platform.

Can someone kindly explain why there is lack of support for your products as my Dell and HP gear all have had BIOS/Firmware updates released?

I will be switching to AMD next build if the updates for my setup have not been released.

Looking forward to your response.

0 Kudos