Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14573 Discussions

The temperature of Intel Core i5 8400

MCând
Novice

Hello,

I just bought a new Intel i5 8400, an MSI B360 Gaming Plus motherboard and 8GB DDR4 2400 RAM. I am using an Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo.

I am wondering if the temperatures of the processor are good. I got about 61 degrees C with intel burn test, with stress level set to High. The room temperature was about 21 degrees C.

I used Arctic Silver MX-4 thermal paste.

Are those temperatures (61 degrees C maximum) normal if I use an aftermarket cooler, such as 212 Evo ?

21 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

That's perfectly fine. Your processor is happy at that temperature. If you really want to know where you stand, look at two things:

1. The temperature when the system is completely idle. In this case, it will hopefully be in the 40c range.
  2. The temperature when running something that completely loads the processor, like Prime95 or AIDA64's System Stability Test. In this case, it will hopefully stay relatively constant at some temperature at or below, say, 90c. You may also see short-duration spikes above 90c; this too is perfectly normal and expected (especially at the beginning of the test).

...S

P.S. You did realize you were responding to a ~5-year-old thread, right?

0 Kudos