Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14865 Discussions

Thermal sensor issue i7-7700k?

CK7
Beginner

I have a brand new build; EVERYTHING NEW. i7-7700k is running at stock speeds. I have the RAM set to XMP for DDR4-2666. Motherboard is Asus Maximus IX Hero Z270.

I have found that the i7-7700k reports a momentary (a second or less) temperature spike +25 > 35 degrees Celsius anytime a program is opened, a webpage is opened, a background app runs etc. The temperature blip cascades through the cores in random order; not the same every time. This causes my heatsink fan to constantly cycle up and down. Temperatures otherwise report as steady, normal increases. Peak temperature under Prime95 blend test is 71 degrees Celsius.

Attempted solutions:

I have re-installed my heatsink and thermal paste with no change.

I have tried to manually set my fan speed in the bios. The only setting that avoids this issue is setting the temperature / fan at a constant (and loud) 80-100%. I've tried PWM and DC mode.

I have found a few user reports elsewhere on the web, all reasoning that it's just the way it is. I don't accept that. Opening a folder or browser should not spike temps +30 degrees. Not only is the fan cycling annoying, it puts undue stress on my fan; possibly shortening its lifespan.

What's the answer, if any? RMA?

1 Solution
RonaldM_Intel

Hello Everyone,

We appreciate the feedback you have provided, and your patience as we investigated this behavior. The reported behavior of the 7th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-7700K Processor, showing momentary temperature changes from the idle temperature, is normal while completing a task (like opening a browser or an application or a program).

In our internal investigation, we did not observe temperature variation outside of the expected behavior and recommended specifications. For processor specifications, please refer to the https://ark.intel.com/products/97129/Intel-Core-i7-7700K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_50-GHz Intel® Core™ i7-7700K Processor Product Specifications.

Most motherboard manufacturers offer customizable fan speed control settings that may allow for smoother transition of fan revolutions per minute (rpm). Please consult your motherboard manufacturer's manual or website for instructions on how to change default fan speed control settings.

We do not recommend running outside the processor specifications, such as by exceeding processor frequency or voltage specifications, or removing of the integrated heat spreader (sometimes called "de-lidding"). These actions will void the processor warranty.

Kindest Regards,

Ronald M.

View solution in original post

1,110 Replies
CPatr1
Novice

Epic fail for Intel...When you don't have competition on the market, you can afford this behavior. But now AMD is back in business.

LChow1
Beginner

I am also facing the temp spike when using i7-7700

the temperate just ramp up from 30C to 50C when I am just surfing the net, and the fans also spinng fast suddenly.

Processor Model: I7 7700

Motherboard Brand: Gigabyte

Motherboard Model: GA-B250M-D3H

BIOS Version: F4

RAM: G.Skills Value 8gb x2

OS installed Windows 10 (64 bit)

Video Card: Gigabyte gtx1070 windforce oc

Cooler: Stock Intel Fan

0 Kudos
CVlad1
Beginner

Same problem with i7-7700.

Random spikes up from 30C to 45/48/49 when doing casual things (opening a program,opening the web browser,surfing the net etc.).

CPU : i7-7700

MB : ASUS B250m-a PRIME

BIOS: 0316

RAM: Kingston Hyperx Savage 8gbx2

GPU: Asus gtx 1060 dual

0 Kudos
PRuiz4
Beginner

I have the same issue as everyone else.

CPU: i7 7700K

MB: Asus Rog Strix Z270H Gaming

Mem: Gskill 16GB Ripjaws V Series DDR4-3200

PSU: EVGA SuperNova 650 G3

GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 Hybrid Gaming

Cooler: Cryorig H5 Ultimate

Pass all Intell tests. Just spikes like when opening the browser or any app. This issue is all over the Internet for the i7 7700K so we are not alone. Hopefully they can resolve.

0 Kudos
LChow1
Beginner

Did your cpu fan speed also spikes up with the cpu temp?

In my case, whenever the cpu temp spike when I am doing casual things, the cpu fan speed also spike up very loudly and then get back to normal. And it happens very frequently and the sudden cpu fan noise is really annoying

0 Kudos
PRuiz4
Beginner

Yes. That is how I noticed what is happening. Very annoying indeed. Any little thing makes it spike.

Just replying to this message the cores spiked to 55 53 51 49C and then right back down to 30 28 31 29.

0 Kudos
CVlad1
Beginner

Yes,the cpu fan speed also spikes up in response to the temperature spike.

0 Kudos
THall2
Beginner

I'm not going to post my pc details as there seems to be enough but I can put my name in the hat as another i7 7700k owner having this issue. Fan speed spike is annoying. Tried updating SMbus driver but that didn't help

0 Kudos
THoff6
Beginner

You can add me as well to the list of intel customers with one of these very very hot i7-7700Ks (and that is hot as in "fry an egg on that cpu" hot – in addition to being a seriously sweet cpu from a performance perspective!).

While I am happy to send in my own test results if intel really needs them, surely by now they have enough data to satisfy themselves that there is an actual problem here. I just hope that they are busily working away on a solution to that problem.

I'd certainly be interested in an update from intel to give us some info on what they have learned from their investigations to date as well as what they see as their next steps in resolving this problem.

TJH

i7 7700K CPU

ASUS TUF Mark 1

4 x 8G Corsair Vengeance 3200

Noctua NH-D15 (2 Fan Setup)

CoolerMaster HAF X Case

Corsair Prof Series Gold AX850

0 Kudos
LChow1
Beginner

So, is this a common problem for i7-7700/7700k? Or just one of the batch?

0 Kudos
cdarn
Novice

Have the same issue.

Intel i7 7700k

Gigabyte GA-z270 gaming

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666mhz 2x8GBFractal Design Define S Black Windowed

0 Kudos
LRibe2
Novice

So... We'r all still waiting on an awnser, right?

This is really boring... It's not like the CPU it's not working, but 75 to 80ºC dosent give much hope about the CPU livespan...

Come on Intel, gives us a fix before it's too late.

Does the company really want bad reputation while competition is really making a stand? And by the way, the competition makes a stand at really low temperatures....

An example about how temperatures are spiking in my PC build.

Loggin in on Win10

Reaching 65º in core # 1 with core load not reaching 50%

Reaching 75º package temp while playing Batllefield 1. CPU load dosent reach 90%

Reaching 80º on stress tests with no O.C. and 5 fans + CPU fan spinning at 100% , reaching 1500RPM.

Dosent look very stable. Specialy because of the temperatures spikes, going from 21ºC to almost 70ºC in a fraction of a second while using simple tasks on windows.

And also, CPU runs really hot even with loads under 90%. This isnt good...

And has I said on my first post core # 1 runs hotter 4 to 5ºC hotter than the other 3... dosent make any sense.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Agree.

We could really use an update from Intel. I still keep my CPU with Turbo Boost off which seems to mitigate the problem, but TB is quite an important function of this CPU.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi,

I had to post here too since I have the same problem.

i7 7700K CPU

ASUS Maximus IX Hero

2 x 8G G.Skill Trident Z DDR4, 3200MHZ

Corsair Hydro H115i

Fractual Design Define R5

I was just browsing this web site/forum and my cores went to 50 61 46 49 like WTF? And then in some seconds they go back to 31 34 31 32. And my i7 7700 is running with default settings without overclocking on!!

Then I resetted my bios and used those setting with overclocking to 4.5 ghz on and went to play BF1 and cores where 64 72 58 63. After couple of minutes of gaming..that second core will be even more hot if you play like 5h.

+ I have 4 x14mm fan inside Fractual Desing R5 so should be more than enought air there!

0 Kudos
CFerr16
Beginner

Hi,

I seem to experience the same problem as everyone else here so I won't go into any details yet.

If you guys need me to go in depth about what I did, I will gladly do so.

The IPDT says that all tests passed. I'll attach my SSU output. Here is my build:

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64(10.0.14393 Build 14393)

CPU : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz (obviously )

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper TX3i

Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus IX Formula (Z270, BIOS version 0801)

Video card: Asus GeForce GTX 1070 ROG Strix OC

RAM: HyperX Fury Black 16GB 2x 8GB DDR4 2400MHz CL15 Single Rank (Part number: HX424C15FB2K2/16)

SSD: Samsung SSD 850 EVO M.2 250GB

PSU: Seasonic M12II Bronze EVO Edition 620W

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 White Window

One thing that I want to detail is that the motherboard has some RGB LEDs on it that, with the help of ASUS Aura application, can be set to change color according to the CPU temperature.

When one of these obnoxious temperature spikes happens the RGB LED turns red a split second BEFORE I see the change in any monitoring application.

Considering this, I find it very hard to believe that the CPU goes from ~35C to ~60C in that small time frame. Just my two cents.

I hope this gets solved soon. Otherwise I will be forced to return my CPU.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
THoff6
Beginner

It doesn't look like we are making much progress here.

I think that the last response from intel in this thread was on Mar 1st with 3 "please send us you data" responses. Prior to that their most recent response was around Feb 24th. I also note that the question has been marked "assumed answered".

I am starting to wonder if intel has stopped reading these posts from its concerned customers?

So what's the scoop intel - are you listening to us or are we just talking to ourselves in here?

TJH

0 Kudos
EBakk
Novice

Looks to me like Intel is stretching time to prevent customers returning there CPU....

Im seriously starting to get pist.

idata
Employee

Why my # 1 core is 10-15 decrees higher than other ones..I cant even overclock because this 1 core will get too hot! Is my chip broke? Can i get new chip from Intel? What can I do I want answers! When i play my cores are allways like 60 71 58 59. And if I try to overclock (example normal 4.5 oc) my prosessor it will be much worst like 68 80 60 62 or something...

0 Kudos
ICitr
Novice

Intel, would you kindly post a heartbeat response so we know you're still working on this problem. Thanks.

0 Kudos
RRies
Novice

Intel would you please let us know the status and provide an update on this temp spike problem. Also when can we expect an update on the info below regarding Thermal Guidelines.

0 Kudos
AArth1
Beginner

Indeed, even a brief response to let us know that it's still being worked on (if that is the case), would be appreciated.

I for one am getting rather angry at the lack of feedback from Intel on this issue and am seriously questioning my purchase.

0 Kudos