Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
15216 Discussions

Thermal sensor issue i7-7700k?

CK7
Beginner

I have a brand new build; EVERYTHING NEW. i7-7700k is running at stock speeds. I have the RAM set to XMP for DDR4-2666. Motherboard is Asus Maximus IX Hero Z270.

I have found that the i7-7700k reports a momentary (a second or less) temperature spike +25 > 35 degrees Celsius anytime a program is opened, a webpage is opened, a background app runs etc. The temperature blip cascades through the cores in random order; not the same every time. This causes my heatsink fan to constantly cycle up and down. Temperatures otherwise report as steady, normal increases. Peak temperature under Prime95 blend test is 71 degrees Celsius.

Attempted solutions:

I have re-installed my heatsink and thermal paste with no change.

I have tried to manually set my fan speed in the bios. The only setting that avoids this issue is setting the temperature / fan at a constant (and loud) 80-100%. I've tried PWM and DC mode.

I have found a few user reports elsewhere on the web, all reasoning that it's just the way it is. I don't accept that. Opening a folder or browser should not spike temps +30 degrees. Not only is the fan cycling annoying, it puts undue stress on my fan; possibly shortening its lifespan.

What's the answer, if any? RMA?

1 Solution
RonaldM_Intel

Hello Everyone,

We appreciate the feedback you have provided, and your patience as we investigated this behavior. The reported behavior of the 7th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-7700K Processor, showing momentary temperature changes from the idle temperature, is normal while completing a task (like opening a browser or an application or a program).

In our internal investigation, we did not observe temperature variation outside of the expected behavior and recommended specifications. For processor specifications, please refer to the https://ark.intel.com/products/97129/Intel-Core-i7-7700K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_50-GHz Intel® Core™ i7-7700K Processor Product Specifications.

Most motherboard manufacturers offer customizable fan speed control settings that may allow for smoother transition of fan revolutions per minute (rpm). Please consult your motherboard manufacturer's manual or website for instructions on how to change default fan speed control settings.

We do not recommend running outside the processor specifications, such as by exceeding processor frequency or voltage specifications, or removing of the integrated heat spreader (sometimes called "de-lidding"). These actions will void the processor warranty.

Kindest Regards,

Ronald M.

View solution in original post

1,110 Replies
TGrab1
New Contributor III

I would try my recommendations from the above post. Make sure turbo is on.

It should bring your turbo temps down to the 60's area of your turbo mode being off.

I would try the 1.24 adaptive and then run a stress test to see your temps and make sure it is stable. I am pretty confident that 1.24 should be stable and you might be able to lower that value later to get your temps down further, but it gives us a good area to start.

Just report back your results. Not only does it help me see the effects it also leaves input for other people who have the same issue.

0 Kudos
JHowa2
Beginner

Well i think i found the place finally, lol every one is having issues as well misery loves company i guess.

So i just built my computer

running the Asus IX hero

the 7700 kaby lake

Evga 1080TI

TridentZ DDR4

and a Corsair H100iV2

Iim having some major cooling issues it was sitting at roughly 29 C bam i ran a AI suite fan tune and 88 C out of no where.I don't know if anyone else is using the corsair and experiencing this? also ive been getting Cpu fan speed not reading i set to ignore so that it would boot. any advice would be great thanks.

0 Kudos
TGrab1
New Contributor III

Hi Jake,

Are you running anything to monitor your vcore? I wonder if your motherboard is set to auto and if so it might be applying more voltage than is needed resulting in inflated temps. This seems to be an issue with some boards out there. You might also check if you have the latest bios version.

If you are looking for software for this I would recommend HWinfo. The values you want to report back would be the VID and the Vcore.

Thanks,

Thomas

0 Kudos
JHowa2
Beginner

Hi,

So my VID for core # 0 max was 1.208V

# 1- 1.221

# 2- 1.220

# 3 - 1.223

Vcore max was 1.184V

0 Kudos
JSanc25
Novice

I've updated my GA-Z270X-Gaming 7 motherboard to the latest bios (F7a) and I've definitely seen an improvement in temperature spikes. I tested my temperatures by gaming where my temperatures would go very high, I did not use any benchmark or stressing software. Before with my old bios (F3) I would see spikes of 97°C, 98°C, etc., now with the updated bios I have gotten a max of 75°C. The temp spikes are still there but I have not seen them yet go upwards of 75°C. Also, this is with water cooling (Corsair H115i ) and without deliding.

0 Kudos
TGrab1
New Contributor III

That is good to hear. I personally try to stay under 80C on this platform.. so being at 75C you are sitting pretty good. I mean don't get me wrong there is always something else you can do to improve things, but if you are happy with those temps then that is all that matters.

Being on a 115i, I would imagine that your fans aren't very loud so you don't have to worry as much either fan ramp as some of the other solutions.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

iam running 4.7ghz @ 1.20 Vcore with my Corsair 115i water temp will go up to 35-37c i guess thats still ok? Gotta say Asus 1080ti runs so nice temps (under 70c) but it still makes so much heat inside my case. My 115i water temp rised 1-2c after change from 1080 -> 1080ti

And i havent delidded my chip..i still want Intel to do it!!

Oh and temps on gaming are 65-70 depends on games.

MB is Asus IX Hero

0 Kudos
JHowa2
Beginner

^ to where i am trying to get mine below 80C, im starting to wonder if its possibly just the Cpu i got is bad out of the box, or on the small happen stance that something is connected incorrectly

0 Kudos
DBux
New Contributor I

Seems that my water cooling system was saving my Cpu from getting that ridiculous temps that my GB Gaming 7 mobo voltages was given (I'm happy I spent money in a useful way). At least Gigabyte have done a move and corrected this issue; perhaps the last answer will be on mobo manufacturers then.

For me (stock, 4.5 turbo, water cooling), as I said before, at this day, I strangely are getting more than 90C when max stress; I updated bios (F7a) and I'm using Gigabyte software app to adjust the fans, and now I can get used to the, still (but less), fans/pump up & down. I will think two times before overclocking in future, but well, I know now the problem and I can take care about within my possibilities.

For me, I think we won't get any useful answer from Intel... very disappointing; of course, I (we) will never forget.

0 Kudos
TGrab1
New Contributor III

Part of my solution to this was actually something I do regardless. I tend to buy good CFM/Static Pressure fans that are extremely quiet. So even before I delid my fans between low and high are pretty much inaudible.

Mind you this solution does cost a little more, but since I do this on all my upgrades to cooling it wasn't a major investment for me as I just do it anytime I add a radiator or a fan dies.

I understand the frustation in having to deal with a noisy machine and some are willing to make that trade from performance, but there is always the option to go silent with better fans made for it.

0 Kudos
AArth1
Beginner

TGrable What fans do you buy that are extremely quiet with good CFM and Static Pressure?

0 Kudos
TGrab1
New Contributor III

I normally rock either Gentle Typhoons or Vardar Fans. Some times the GT's can be harder to come by and in that case I go with the Vardar. They perform very similar and are both much more quiet than other fans out there.

0 Kudos
LChow1
Beginner

Is my temp normal?

I am using a 7700(non k) with the stock cooler

When I am running aid64 stress test (stress fpu only)

the temp can stress up to 9X degree.

however, the idle temp is only about 3X degree.

Is it normal for a non k i7 to ramp up to 9X degree? Or it is just normal for aida64 fpu only test?

0 Kudos
TGrab1
New Contributor III

Those temps fall within the intel "safe range", but I would say they are definitely pretty warm.

Can you tell me more about your setup? Particularly what cooler you are using.

0 Kudos
LChow1
Beginner

CPU: Intel i7-7700(non k)

CPU Cooler: Stock Cooler

MB: Gigabyte GA-B250M-D3H (Upgraded to latest bios)

RAM: G.Skills 8GB DDR4 2400MHZ x2 (XMP Profile 1)

Graphic Card: Gigabyte GTX1070 Windforce 8GB

PSU: Antec HGC 520 M

I was thinking if aida64 fpu only test is too demanding, as people saying that it runs many avx command which generate so much heat.

Any stress software you recommend to test for my cpu temp?

Thanks a lot

0 Kudos
TGrab1
New Contributor III

With the stock cooler those temps seem about on par sadly.

If you are wanting to reduce your temps you should look into an aftermarket cooler such as the H212 or Cryorig M9i. The latter being the cheaper and better solution.

That is assuming you have enough room in your case. 90C load temps with the stock cooler though does appear to be normal. This is still under the 100C max on these chips, it is just warmer than I am generally comfortable running my own cpu.

0 Kudos
ASušt
New Contributor I

Told you guys, there ARE people with stock cooler!!!

I ask the attention of AIO water cooler owners!

If you set fans to be controlled by water temp instead of CPU temp, do your fans ramp up and down? Or they are working smoothly?

I'm about to buy an AIO cuz I hope that in this mode there will be no "fan noise spikes".

Also would like to hear some advices in cooler/fans choise.

Can someone share me some info please?

0 Kudos
TGrab1
New Contributor III

It would be more smooth, but water temps generally change only slightly. I mean depending on the cooler i would assume it has a DeltaT around 10c. So your water temp at full load would only be around 10C higher than ambient.

If you did set it up like this.. You would need to see what your idle water temp is.. which would probably be around 4-6C above ambient depending on the cooler. Then set the fans to ramp up the closer you get to 10C.

The only problem is that your temp range will change based on your room temp.. So if your room is 3C warmer your water temps will be 3C warmer too.

So you will have to find a nice happy medium that works with your room temps + your water temps.

So the ultimate answer is yes it would solve your ramp up and downs, but it could also be a little more tricky to find the perfect values. Since you have a smaller temp range to work with and it can change a good bit based on your room temp.

0 Kudos
ASušt
New Contributor I

I think, that is still better, than a constant speed.

With AIO I can hope, that there will be at least some "adjustment" in fan speed, when it's needed.

And besides, AIO cooles better vs a air cooler, right? So even on constant speed, the cooling will be better.

0 Kudos
TGrab1
New Contributor III

It depends on the amount of Radiator surface area and other factors. The giant air coolers can come close to a cheap AIO for example.

The thing about water cooling is there are lots of factors at play. I won't bore you with all the details here, but I will give you a link with some useful information. You might not be building a custom loop, but a lot of the information can help you decide on one that will work best for you.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/628092-The-Ultimate-Water-Cooling-Thread Overclockers Forums

Check out some of those areas. The things you should research will be Radiator size and FPI. These will make a difference in determining how loud or quiet the system is. It will also determine how much heat the system can remove at any given fan speed :-D.

And example would be a 280MM rad with a low FPI would need low fan speed to operate at maximum efficiency, but on the flip-side would never be able to cool as well as a high FPI radiator at it's peak (which would take higher rpm fans)

Anyways I won't bore you will all the details here. I would just give a few of those threads a look and see if they help you with your decision. Feel free to hit me up with any questions/concerns they give you :-D.

0 Kudos
ASušt
New Contributor I

That's.A.Lot.Of.Info.

Thanks)

Ok, if you are set to discuss, let me ask questions 1 by 1.

Noctua nh-u14s vs (I haven't yet chosen) be quiet silent loop 280.

All fans are at lowest rpm.

What will cool better?

0 Kudos