Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
15216 Discussions

Thermal sensor issue i7-7700k?

CK7
Beginner

I have a brand new build; EVERYTHING NEW. i7-7700k is running at stock speeds. I have the RAM set to XMP for DDR4-2666. Motherboard is Asus Maximus IX Hero Z270.

I have found that the i7-7700k reports a momentary (a second or less) temperature spike +25 > 35 degrees Celsius anytime a program is opened, a webpage is opened, a background app runs etc. The temperature blip cascades through the cores in random order; not the same every time. This causes my heatsink fan to constantly cycle up and down. Temperatures otherwise report as steady, normal increases. Peak temperature under Prime95 blend test is 71 degrees Celsius.

Attempted solutions:

I have re-installed my heatsink and thermal paste with no change.

I have tried to manually set my fan speed in the bios. The only setting that avoids this issue is setting the temperature / fan at a constant (and loud) 80-100%. I've tried PWM and DC mode.

I have found a few user reports elsewhere on the web, all reasoning that it's just the way it is. I don't accept that. Opening a folder or browser should not spike temps +30 degrees. Not only is the fan cycling annoying, it puts undue stress on my fan; possibly shortening its lifespan.

What's the answer, if any? RMA?

1 Solution
RonaldM_Intel

Hello Everyone,

We appreciate the feedback you have provided, and your patience as we investigated this behavior. The reported behavior of the 7th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-7700K Processor, showing momentary temperature changes from the idle temperature, is normal while completing a task (like opening a browser or an application or a program).

In our internal investigation, we did not observe temperature variation outside of the expected behavior and recommended specifications. For processor specifications, please refer to the https://ark.intel.com/products/97129/Intel-Core-i7-7700K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_50-GHz Intel® Core™ i7-7700K Processor Product Specifications.

Most motherboard manufacturers offer customizable fan speed control settings that may allow for smoother transition of fan revolutions per minute (rpm). Please consult your motherboard manufacturer's manual or website for instructions on how to change default fan speed control settings.

We do not recommend running outside the processor specifications, such as by exceeding processor frequency or voltage specifications, or removing of the integrated heat spreader (sometimes called "de-lidding"). These actions will void the processor warranty.

Kindest Regards,

Ronald M.

View solution in original post

1,110 Replies
TGrab1
New Contributor III

Also this might be different than your question, but I just thought of it.

So my setup for example is a pretty good custom loop. I have my pump plugged in to an AIO pump header that lets me adjust the RPM of it at different temps. I normally have it running at about 60% which is around 1.1-1.3 Gpm. I have all my radiator fans running to a 10 fan splitter that plugs in to the CPU fan header. I have my fan profile setup so these run at about 30-35% most of the time, but slowly ramping up at 55C and then going to full speed at anything over 70C (which pretty much never happens)

So what happens in general is my pump and fans are mostly in 60% for pump and 35ish for fans range. If the CPU spikes from 28C to 45-50C that is fine my fans will ramp up a little but it is not noticeable. As the different in fan speed between idle and 55C is about 10-15% fan speed or 50% at 55C.. Then from 55C - 70C they are again a linear increase until 100%.

Hope that makes sense.

Also I use to have a H240X i used on this machine.. which is now on another one I own. Those fans even at 100% are pretty darn quiet. So consider your fans when picking out an AIO. If they do ramp up and down slightly it won't matter to you if they are quiet while doing so :-D.

0 Kudos
TGrab1
New Contributor III

That water cooler and the NH are very closely matched in a temp/noise battle. So both are good choices, just the NH will put much more weight on your board.

0 Kudos
ASušt
New Contributor I

I'm thinking about setting a very slow fan speed increase during heat up. Something about lowest speed till ~50-55c and then small increase till ~70c. Don't think that cpu will blow up)

So I need a cooler, that will hande the cpu heat, with low air flow.

Now my cooler at 14% allows the CPU to heat up to 70c (mobo display show this) / 75-80 (aida64) during Aida64 stress test.

Witch temp is correct?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have a NZXT Kraken X62 and it is essentially silent under normal operation. Even at full speed it's quiet. The control software is very good ... you can set custom curves based on liquid temperature or CPU temperature (or GPU temperature) for the cooler fans and pump separately.

I'm very pleased with it and I have no fan speed-up problems like the ones reported here.

My case fans are Define R5 fans ... again essentially silent. I control these from my ASUS motherboard - there is no ramping up and down as the reference temperature is the case temperature.

I'm happy to recommend the X62.

Robert

0 Kudos
ASušt
New Contributor I

ra5040

How is your cooling configured? Controlled by water temp? Does your cpu spike?How does you fan curve look like?

Good thing you own a sutable AIO to ask you these questions)

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi,

The CAM software (which is free with the X62) has three built-in modes: Silent, Performance and Fixed and you can define your own profiles (as many as you want, I think). Performance mode is fine as it will give good cooling when the liquid temperature goes up, but I have a custom profile of my own that I call "Liquid Performance" for the cooler fans as I have it based on the liquid temperature, and "CPU Performance" for the CPU pump. The curves look like this:

So the fans are at a fixed speed at or below 25C and then ramp up to 100% (each circle is 5C, with the lowest at 25C) The pump only starts to ramp up when the CPU temperature goes to 40C and it's at full speed when the CPU temperature hits 55C.

There must be some hysteresis in the software as pump and fan speed change smoothly. It's pretty hard to hear them anyway as they are very silent (I wouldn't know that the system is running from fan sound unless I'm running something like Prime95). But the Define R5 case is a very good silent case so that probably also helps.

Hope that helps,

Robert

0 Kudos
ASušt
New Contributor I

Thank you for the info.

So can you confirm my idea of that fans are not ramping up if they are controlled by water temp?

Cuz if that's not true, there is no point for me to spend 200$ for an AIO cooler.

P.S how much does the water temp change betweet say...system idle and after 2-3 hours gaming?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Yes, that's correct as the water temperature only changes very slowly. As I have it set up the pump will respond to CPU temperature (but you can control it with liquid temperature if you want) - but at any rate there is no perceptible pump sound. Also, as I mentioned, the CAM software appears to have smoothing so that rapid changes are ignored.

After 2 hours of OCCT the liquid temperature increases by 2 or 3 degrees.

0 Kudos
ASušt
New Contributor I

"After 2 hours of OCCT the liquid temperature increases by 2 or 3 degrees."

Does this mean, that CPU temp also increased just slightly?

If not, this looks like no fan speed change at all.

Don't think you can set a fan curve between 2-3c delta.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

No, of course the CPU temperature increased. I was running at 4.8GHz, memory at 3200MHz, cache at 4.5GHz, so with OCCT the CPU temperature would be around 80C. The pump will run at 100% because I have it set to run on CPU temperature, but it is silent. The fans will run at 45% as the liquid temperature was over 30C ... but at 45% they are essentially silent.

0 Kudos
ASušt
New Contributor I

ra5040

Thank you for the info!

Well, that confirms, that water temp changes very slightly, just like TGrable said.

Don't think, that these 3c can be enough to build a fan curve around it.

If your CPU spikes, does the pump react on those spikes?

What do you think will happen, if I set fans to e.g 25% constant ?

I am not a fan of 100500 hour stress testing, but playing in 2k resolution is a common thing.

For example BeQuiet Silent loop 280 can disperse 400W of heat...

7700k is 91w TDP.

Interesting, how well would it act with low fan speed and 100% pump speed?

I'm starting to feel, these AIO are not so far ahead from a good air coolers....

My Noctua @ 20% speed hold temp a bit below 80c while Aida64 stress test is in progress.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

You're right ... 3C isn't enough for a curve. But typically the temperature when I turn on the PC will be around 25C and I have the curve set so that it doesn't kick in until 30C. So the way the curve works, the fan speed starts off at 25%, then it goes up to 35% and then to 45%. This speed seems to hold the water temperature at no more than 32C at full load. Under normal operation the temperature drops to 30C, so the fan drops back down to 35%. My room temperature is around 25C.

I don't know if the pump reacts to CPU spikes, but I don't think so based on the way that the fan changes speed (gradually). As I mentioned, I think the software has some averaging built in.

You could set the fan speeds to a constant value, but it would need to be high enough to cool the CPU under load, so you will end up with more fan noise than necessary at idle or low loads.

A low fan speed and 100% pump speed won't help because your water temperature will keep going up. You really need to set the cooler fans so that they dissipate the heat generated at different loads.

I would expect that a good air cooler should be fine unless you're running the system at high loads for prolonged periods. One advantage of a water cooler is that it doesn't pump heat back into the case, but if you have good exhaust fans that shouldn't be much of a problem.

Cheers

Robert

0 Kudos
TGrab1
New Contributor III

The watt of the CPU doesn't necessarily mean it will only produce that much heat. For example a 4.9Ghz OC at 1.35V would put out roughly 205w of heat at full usage (stress test).

A stock chip at 1.23v Can pull 165w of heat under a stress test.

The last thing I will mention is that AIO might be able to dissipate 400w of heat, but at what RPM requirement? That is what you will need to research. If it is a nice silent system than the fan % will matter little. Also if you have plenty of headroom you can just set your fans manually at 55-60% and forget about them.

Then again the BIG air coolers can also do the same thing and are generally less expensive, but put a lot of weight and stress on your motherboard. They also do not compete with high end water, but they are pretty close to the performance of AIO's give or take a few C.

0 Kudos
ASušt
New Contributor I

All these nuances are making me less confident in AIOs.

I thought that it would be an overkill solution, that can easily keep everything cool on low speeds.

0 Kudos
AElib
Novice

So Guys i am back.

I know i have an overkill Watercooling System but in the last months i am bored so i need to Build something in order to be happy.

That said here is what i will add to my Watercooling System.

1 x Phobya G-Changer NOVA 1080 Radiator 60mm - Full Copper

9 x Noctua NF-F12 PPC 2000 PWM

2 x Lamptron FC5 V3

All this is going to be Built in a second case that i have laying around ( Lian Li PC-A75WX - Big Tower - HPTX ) and it will have it is own Power Supply.

0 Kudos
PSobi2
Beginner

Hello Everyone. I am another one.

Had rig with no OC:

4790K (Evga Acx)

16 GB DDR3 1600MHz

Z97X Gaming 3

GTX970

SSD drives

I could open 5 YT videos (1080p) at once with 10-20% usage of CPU. Play game, stream, record. Going smooth between windows and apps.

I have now with no OC:

7700K (same cooler - Evga Acx)

16 GB DDR4 2133MHz

Z270X Ultra Gaming (updated bios F6)

GTX1080ti

SSD drives

ONE tab in Chrome with YT video and 80-100% usage of CPU. Can't do 2 things in the same time cause have LAGS, slow mo and other annoying stuff... I feel like working on 2 x 500MHz..... I don't even mention the temperatures...but where is PERFORMANCE? POWER of those 4 x 4.5 GHz?

How can I get my money back? It's a benchmark toy, not 7th generation processor for normal working or playing people. Can't be used in everyday use! Still trying to find solution...but my patience is almost lost. Prepare for war...?

ASušt
New Contributor I

There will be no war.

Intel said, that 7700k works fine.

I would also be happy to get my money back....

You can try to have a replacement.

I did this a few days ago. Evrything was easy and fast, but for no reason.

The new CPU heats more, doesn't want to OC as much and spike just as good as the previous.

I thought about switching to 6700k....but seems like it spikes as well.

P.S Question about AIO coolers is still open, give you advices guys, please!

0 Kudos
AElib
Novice

I thought about switching to 6700k....but seems like it spikes as well.

Are you kidding me, since when the 6700K has spikes issues?

Btw the only clever thing you can do is what i have already said before, move on to the next X299 chipset.

http://hothardware.com/news/monster-intel-12-core-i9-7920x-leaked Monster Intel 12-Core i9-7920X Leaked With Skylake-X And Kaby Lake-X Family Details - HotHardware

Definitely i will upgrade, i have in mind the The Core i9-7820X and Core i9-7800X have eight cores and six cores respectively.

0 Kudos
ASušt
New Contributor I

A new MOBO again? No thanx. Those chips will cost 1k$ +... if I had that much, I would buy 2011-v3 CPU in the first place.

Hm, so you say 6700k doesn't spike?

Anyone wants to change?

0 Kudos
AElib
Novice

I don't think those chips will cost 1K+, I live in Europe prices might be different.

I bought a 6700K in October/November 2016 and two months later i upgraded to the 7700K, I never saw any kind of spikes.

0 Kudos
ASušt
New Contributor I

Those new I9 CPUs will 100% cost 1k +. Look at other intel 6+ cores CPUs.

You are a rich person to change the CPU after 2 months of use)

Besides the difference between 6700k and 7700k is not too big.

Have you sold your 6700k?

0 Kudos