Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14864 Discussions

Thermal sensor issue i7-7700k?

CK7
Beginner

I have a brand new build; EVERYTHING NEW. i7-7700k is running at stock speeds. I have the RAM set to XMP for DDR4-2666. Motherboard is Asus Maximus IX Hero Z270.

I have found that the i7-7700k reports a momentary (a second or less) temperature spike +25 > 35 degrees Celsius anytime a program is opened, a webpage is opened, a background app runs etc. The temperature blip cascades through the cores in random order; not the same every time. This causes my heatsink fan to constantly cycle up and down. Temperatures otherwise report as steady, normal increases. Peak temperature under Prime95 blend test is 71 degrees Celsius.

Attempted solutions:

I have re-installed my heatsink and thermal paste with no change.

I have tried to manually set my fan speed in the bios. The only setting that avoids this issue is setting the temperature / fan at a constant (and loud) 80-100%. I've tried PWM and DC mode.

I have found a few user reports elsewhere on the web, all reasoning that it's just the way it is. I don't accept that. Opening a folder or browser should not spike temps +30 degrees. Not only is the fan cycling annoying, it puts undue stress on my fan; possibly shortening its lifespan.

What's the answer, if any? RMA?

1 Solution
RonaldM_Intel

Hello Everyone,

We appreciate the feedback you have provided, and your patience as we investigated this behavior. The reported behavior of the 7th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-7700K Processor, showing momentary temperature changes from the idle temperature, is normal while completing a task (like opening a browser or an application or a program).

In our internal investigation, we did not observe temperature variation outside of the expected behavior and recommended specifications. For processor specifications, please refer to the https://ark.intel.com/products/97129/Intel-Core-i7-7700K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_50-GHz Intel® Core™ i7-7700K Processor Product Specifications.

Most motherboard manufacturers offer customizable fan speed control settings that may allow for smoother transition of fan revolutions per minute (rpm). Please consult your motherboard manufacturer's manual or website for instructions on how to change default fan speed control settings.

We do not recommend running outside the processor specifications, such as by exceeding processor frequency or voltage specifications, or removing of the integrated heat spreader (sometimes called "de-lidding"). These actions will void the processor warranty.

Kindest Regards,

Ronald M.

View solution in original post

1,110 Replies
TGrab1
New Contributor III

Hopefully I will be able to do some more testing on my end in a week or so. Had my central AC unit die and won't have a replacement in probably a week. 92+ Degrees in my upstairs "office" is not good for anything productive.

That being said I did purchase a super nice portable AC that I am using to keep some of the main rooms cool. I have some evil plans for it upstairs with a potential cooling project for a few of my PCs. I will say though.. if you put in new windows... stay away from the Casement Crank style. They look nice and all, but make it impossible if you ever need a window unit.

0 Kudos
AElib
Novice

I have some evil plans for it upstairs with a potential cooling project for a few of my PCs.

Tell me more please, i am now curious.

0 Kudos
TGrab1
New Contributor III

I have a few ideas for it, but atm the top two are.

Do some modding to convert it to a water-chiller. I have a closet in my gaming room with lots of room and I am thinking of converting into a "water closet" I would then run quick connect/disconnect fittings on my water cooled pc's and just clip them in to the loop and then they are easily able to fall back to a normal system by just disconnecting it from the system. The Unit I have is contrallable over wifi.. so I think I can put a few sensors in the loop and use a python script to calculate the dew point and make sure it is tweaking the temps so I do not see condensation build up.

The other options is just to turn the closet into a really cool room and just move the gaming pc towers in there to get their ambient temp way down. This has the advantage of not needing to worry about dew point, but really lowers the cooling I can pull off at any given time. It will allow me to keep them nice and cool though and will not have them pumping heat into my main office.

The water chiller conversion would be a decent amount of work, but would have a high payoff in performance. It would also allow me to run the loop at below freezing temps for benching etc. Not sure if the conversion is right, but a industrial pump rated at only 12000 btu can cool up to 4 KW of heat. So if the 14000btw unit translates anywhere close to that I am going to have way more cooling capacity than I need. I will probably convert all my office pc's to water in that case. I would also use a rather large tank.. probably 10-20 gallons so that the unit isn't constantly clicking on and off.. it can run for a few minutes and then kick off for an extended amount of time.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

That's really very interesting ... I'm looking forward to seeing your further testing.

Could you make your BIOS settings available when you are happy with them? That way I could import them and test with my system to see if I get the same result (you know ... export the BIOS settings to a file). I know I may need to tweak the settings a bit, but at least it would be starting from the same point. If you could test at 4.8GHz or below that would be good, because I haven't delidded my CPU yet.

Cheers

Robert

0 Kudos
AElib
Novice

TGrable

The water chiller conversion would be a decent amount of work, but would have a high payoff in performance. It would also allow me to run the loop at below freezing temps for benching etc. Not sure if the conversion is right, but a industrial pump rated at only 12000 btu can cool up to 4 KW of heat. So if the 14000btw unit translates anywhere close to that I am going to have way more cooling capacity than I need. I will probably convert all my office pc's to water in that case. I would also use a rather large tank.. probably 10-20 gallons so that the unit isn't constantly clicking on and off.. it can run for a few minutes and then kick off for an extended amount of time.

Yeap, you will have a lot of work to do.

so I think I can put a few sensors in the loop and use a python script to calculate the dew point and make sure it is tweaking the temps so I do not see condensation build up.

Condensation it is always an issue except if you keep your temps at least 1c above dew point, my advice is: keep your temps 5c/7c above Dew point, i run my chiller at -c just when doing benchy.

Why don't you just buy something like mine:

Mine is a 250A model

They can run at 1c stock and if you modify it up to -10

Note: you should check your temps inside the Machine not your room temps.

That is why i have bought this:

And have it inside my Machine

0 Kudos
TGrab1
New Contributor III

Part of the reason I am not getting one of those is because I already have this unit and it was purchased to just keep my downstairs decently cool until the Central AC is fixed. So once that happens in a few days or week.. I will have a 14000 BTU unit to play with. This would be more powerful than the 1000 Halea. That unit is about 900 bucks. So I can mod this one to be more powerful for a fraction of that.

I like projects like this anyways so for me it will be fun. I also planned on making sure the temp sensors were outside of the unit. The most important thing will be the water temp. I probably have a sensor in line at the first machine so that I can make sure I am not below the dew point. Then like I said I will have a few more sensors in the room to get the rooms ambient temp and humidity level so it can calculate the dew point every few minutes or so.. then it will adjust the thermostat on the unit to keep it as close dew point as possible without going under. I can do all of this with a nice little python program so it shouldn't be too hard.

The hardest part will be converting the AC unit into a chiller, but that should only take a weekend or two. When all is said and done I would like to have 4 or 5 of the PCs in my office converted to have at least the gpu and cpu in the loop. I will probably need to upgrade to a better gpu on a few of them to make that worthwhile and that part of the project will be the costly part, but all in all I think it will be worth it and should bring my room temp down a few C in the summer. The best part of this will be the kids/nephews will have some hardcore machines to play on for our weekly lan parties haha. I just might not be able to get them to go home ever again.

0 Kudos
ASušt
New Contributor I

Guys, what do you think, will switching from Noctua NH-u14s to d15s help in terms of temp but with the same rpms?

After reading a lot of reviews and comparison articles, I don't see any point going AIO.

0 Kudos
AElib
Novice

I don't know anything about AIO because i have never used one but shouldn't be better than traditional Air-coolers?

0 Kudos
ASušt
New Contributor I

Hard to say, I haven't used any myself.

They should be better, but many tests show, that they are just more expensive and noisier.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I upgraded from a cryorig h7 to a h115i and it helped lower temps, but they still aren't great. Low 80s under heavy load.

0 Kudos
AElib
Novice

Agree with you about cost and noise

0 Kudos
ASušt
New Contributor I

So, that basicly tells about small difference between high-end AIO and mid-end air cooler.

Now the question is about the difference between NH-U14S and D15S.

In reviews both are great with similar results.

But D15s is a dual-tower cooler, so I think it's performance should be better...

mrobscura

Can you please specify the temps? How much have you won with h115i?

0 Kudos
AElib
Novice

I have already chosen my new CPU.

Intel® Core™ i7 - 7820X

0 Kudos
ASušt
New Contributor I

" No! It was designed to run bad and force you to buy a 150$ cooler and a bucket of expensive fans and a bucket of thermal paste for reapplying that cooler over and over again (hoping that it will help) ...and to make you want to buy another CPU ASAP in hope, that it will work better! " (c) Me 26.05

0 Kudos
AElib
Novice

Nah, in my case it is not that way that it works.

i have always upgraded CPU every year, i don't keep the same CPU for long.

0 Kudos
ASušt
New Contributor I

I'll wait until my warranty runs off and then upgrade.

0 Kudos
AElib
Novice

That is a good idea.

Maybe i will sell the 7700K Machine or maybe i will keep it as a back up Machine.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Why the hell u chance prosessor every year? You got too much money to spare?

Iam using my 4.7ghz oc (1.2 Vcore) and I am very happy with it. I have Corsair h115i water cooler and good thing is that it dosnt ramp up if the prosessor temps rise up and down it will only ramp up if if water temperature goes up.

(got now about 37-38 water temp after gaming and its pretty much silent < = you read right SILENT) Cant hear it over my Asus 1080ti + 4x case fans.

Then gaming the only thing I really do with my computer I get 65-70 temps (1-10h of gaming) witch sounds OK to me.

So I dont see any point of chance prosessor at least for me. OFC this prosessor is shit made from Intel if you think heat things but I have accepted it and now I just enjoy gaming and return it when warranty goes (i will find a way to do it then)
0 Kudos
ASušt
New Contributor I

Thanx for the info.

I have pretty much the same CPU temp while gaming (Aida64 shows CPU temp ~60 and CPU package temp ~72), but I have 2 case fans + noctual nh-u14s cpu cooler, and all this runs a bit slower than the "silent" fan curve. I use this manual curve to supress fans rampings. But still temp is not stable, and constantly jumps by +/- 5-8c. This doesn't allow fans to maintain a some kind of constant speed and sometimes they drop their rpm while cpu just spikes down for a sec.

0 Kudos
AElib
Novice

I keep my fans at 1200rpm constantly.

0 Kudos
ASušt
New Contributor I

That should be pretty loud compared to my 250 rmp at temp below 55c.

0 Kudos