Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14960 Discussions

Thermal sensor issue i7-7700k?

CK7
Beginner

I have a brand new build; EVERYTHING NEW. i7-7700k is running at stock speeds. I have the RAM set to XMP for DDR4-2666. Motherboard is Asus Maximus IX Hero Z270.

I have found that the i7-7700k reports a momentary (a second or less) temperature spike +25 > 35 degrees Celsius anytime a program is opened, a webpage is opened, a background app runs etc. The temperature blip cascades through the cores in random order; not the same every time. This causes my heatsink fan to constantly cycle up and down. Temperatures otherwise report as steady, normal increases. Peak temperature under Prime95 blend test is 71 degrees Celsius.

Attempted solutions:

I have re-installed my heatsink and thermal paste with no change.

I have tried to manually set my fan speed in the bios. The only setting that avoids this issue is setting the temperature / fan at a constant (and loud) 80-100%. I've tried PWM and DC mode.

I have found a few user reports elsewhere on the web, all reasoning that it's just the way it is. I don't accept that. Opening a folder or browser should not spike temps +30 degrees. Not only is the fan cycling annoying, it puts undue stress on my fan; possibly shortening its lifespan.

What's the answer, if any? RMA?

1 Solution
RonaldM_Intel

Hello Everyone,

We appreciate the feedback you have provided, and your patience as we investigated this behavior. The reported behavior of the 7th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-7700K Processor, showing momentary temperature changes from the idle temperature, is normal while completing a task (like opening a browser or an application or a program).

In our internal investigation, we did not observe temperature variation outside of the expected behavior and recommended specifications. For processor specifications, please refer to the https://ark.intel.com/products/97129/Intel-Core-i7-7700K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_50-GHz Intel® Core™ i7-7700K Processor Product Specifications.

Most motherboard manufacturers offer customizable fan speed control settings that may allow for smoother transition of fan revolutions per minute (rpm). Please consult your motherboard manufacturer's manual or website for instructions on how to change default fan speed control settings.

We do not recommend running outside the processor specifications, such as by exceeding processor frequency or voltage specifications, or removing of the integrated heat spreader (sometimes called "de-lidding"). These actions will void the processor warranty.

Kindest Regards,

Ronald M.

View solution in original post

1,110 Replies
jmill40
Beginner

4.8ghz at manual 1.27 in bios

LLC at 5

Speed shift - off

Speed step - off

C-state off

IA DC Load Line to 0.01

IA AC Load Line to 0.01

Ram default

the hottest Core

For the ram i have test in manual and XMP its same temp.

With VCCSA to 1.10v and VCCIO to 1.10v decrease the temp of 2° when ram is @3000MHz compared to VCCSA and VCCIO in auto

But the solution is PLL voltage

http://www.overclock.net/t/1621111/i7-7700k-temps-vs-ram-speed-on-z270-mainboard/20 i7 7700k temps vs RAM speed on z270 mainboard - Page 3

0 Kudos
jmill40
Beginner

LLC at 5

Speed shift - off

Speed step - off

C-state off

IA DC Load Line to auto

IA AC Load Line to auto

Ram default

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

That looks really excellent! I wish my board was like that! The only difference in my settings is that I had IA AC& DC Load Line set to .01 (I think). I'll check when I am back home on the 10th.

Thanks for doing this test!

0 Kudos
AElib
Novice

The only thing i don't get is that he doesn't have any spike but all the way just dip blips, 1.263v to 1.249v, i don't see it a positive thing, or am i wrong?

0 Kudos
jmill40
Beginner

My last message on page 56, i had AI AC&DC load line set to 0,01

OCCT in medium test, i dont have dip blips.

vcore is adaptive

IA AC& DC Load Line set to .01

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi ... I think the reason you are getting no blips with OCCT medium test is that it doesn't cause any sudden load changes, so there's no ringing on the Vcore line.

Could you do one last test please? I would like to try to understand why your tests appear not to show a voltage drop under load.

So the test should be as before, LLC 5 etc and OCCT large test. But this time just run the test for say 2 mins at start and end and 5 mins for the test (so total 9 minutes). If you get no spikes during the test (not likely, but possible), just repeat the test. The reason for the short test is that it should let us see what is going on between the spikes as they won't all be bunched up together.

Thanks! ... and sorry to be asking you to do so much work

Robert

0 Kudos
jmill40
Beginner

For information my cpu is delid

LLC at auto

Speed shift - off

Speed step - off

C-state off

IA DC Load Line to 0.01

IA AC Load Line to 0.01

Ram 2400MHz

LLC at 5

Speed shift - off

Speed step - off

C-state off

IA DC Load Line to 0.01

IA AC Load Line to 0.01

Ram 2400MHz

Test 1

Test 2

What is The safest LCC ? Because I want to keep my pc about 4 year.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Well the LLC set to 5, as you can see, keeps your voltages always below your BIOS settings, which is good. Also, if the system is stable at 1.27, Vcore with LLC 5 is well below what it is with LLC Auto ... which is again good. So, for me I would go with LLC 5.

But even with your short test it's still a bit hard to see what is happening. Could you run a much shorter test ... we want to see the spikes very clearly, so maybe 1 minute at start and end and a minute for the test. The problem we have is that the graphs are software - to really see what is going on we would need an oscilloscope. But still, we can deduce what is happening reasonably well with these graphs.

Cheers

Robert

0 Kudos
jmill40
Beginner

Ok thanks i will stay with LCC at 5

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Great ... that's very good. You can see that when you are at 'Idle' the voltage is at 1.296, with drops to 1.281: these drops are caused by short load changes from background processes. Then under load the voltage drops to 1.281 and the spikes are when there is a drop in the load. So this is what you would expect to see: Idle at 1.296, load at 1.281.

It looks like you've got at very good board! Also, from our point of view, it makes sense to keep sending the boards back until we get a good one.

Many thanks for doing these tests!

Cheers,

Robert

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

BTW firepanda ... what is your BIOS revision?

0 Kudos
jmill40
Beginner

BIOS VERSION : 0906

Have you too error ec data when you open hwinfo64 ?

0 Kudos
AElib
Novice

My maximum temps are 40c/45c while gaming for 5+ hours, we have summer here in Germany and the temperature outside hit up to 38c my Room temps is 28c, i am cooling the CPU with a 280mm Rad, and 6L water ( that's the amount of water my Waterchiller System hold ) my Waterchiller it's working right now just as a normal Watercooling System, that's why my temps are high.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I've accepted that the chip runs hot. No point in stressing about it as long as it performs. And if Intel states that high temps are acceptable, ok, so be it. I can live with a chip running hot if it was designed to. But as soon as high temps become an issue, effecting the performance of the chip, then you better believe Intel will hear about it. I've gone through three, even upgrading my motherboard, so...

0 Kudos
BGree7
Beginner

I'm in the same boat. I'm not satisfied with the CPU and motherboard combo that I have, but I'm not going to stress over it. I won't spend any money with Intel or Asus for the foreseeable future, but it is what it is.

0 Kudos
NMave
Beginner

I have recently settled with an OC of 4.9 GHz (49x100) with everything on (C States, Turboboost, Speedshift, Speedstep and XMP for memory). My memory is at 3200MHz and my cooling solution is a NOCTUA NH-D15 Air Cooler without the noise adapters. My motherboard, a Gigabyte Z270-HD3P on F5 BIOS version is set at Low Noise Fan profile and I have manually set the VCore voltage to 1.330 and AVX offset to 5. After 1 week or so I have no blue screens or freezes and I have run successfully OCCT tests with and without AVX instructions for 20 minutes and I plan to run a Prime 95 for an hour and re-run the two previous tests for also an hour.

My temps reached 83 Celsius (just a spike from constant 80 degrees in one core) without AVX instructions and 81 degrees with AVX instructions.

As long as I get sub 85 degrees and no blue screens I will keep these settings.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Yeah, like I said, temps are not great, but while I seriously considered going with a ryzen 7, I don't stream, or do much multi-tasking, so, the 7700k delivers the best performance for what I want to do. Which is gaming with a gtx 1080, therefore, I'll live with sub 85 temps under heavy load, as long as the cpu is designed to withstand it.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

No, no error when I run HWInfo64 ... I suggest you re-install it.

Robert

0 Kudos
jmill40
Beginner

ok thanks i test re-install later.

I have may be finding a solution to reduce the spike in load

by default

CPU Current Capability : 120%

CPU VRM Switching Frequency : Fixed at 400KHz

More testing is needed

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

That's very interesting ... what effect does it have on VCore?

0 Kudos
jmill40
Beginner

hello, I have done some test and it is really difficult to find the right setting because the DRAM voltage swells a lot on the vcore and there must be no loss of vcore to make the settings CPU Current Capability and CPU VRM Switching Frequency.

Good settings CPU Current Capability and CPU VRM Switching Frequency without drop vcore in occt large data set (DRAM voltage : 1.1946v and Ram @ 2400MHz)

Speed shift - off

Speed step - off

C-state off

Same settings with drop vcore and temp high because the DRAM voltage is too high (DRAM voltage : 1.2078v and Ram @ 2400MHz)

Drop vcore = spike high temp

I would do more test the week end

0 Kudos