Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14536 Discussions

Thermal sensor issue i7-7700k?

CK7
Beginner

I have a brand new build; EVERYTHING NEW. i7-7700k is running at stock speeds. I have the RAM set to XMP for DDR4-2666. Motherboard is Asus Maximus IX Hero Z270.

I have found that the i7-7700k reports a momentary (a second or less) temperature spike +25 > 35 degrees Celsius anytime a program is opened, a webpage is opened, a background app runs etc. The temperature blip cascades through the cores in random order; not the same every time. This causes my heatsink fan to constantly cycle up and down. Temperatures otherwise report as steady, normal increases. Peak temperature under Prime95 blend test is 71 degrees Celsius.

Attempted solutions:

I have re-installed my heatsink and thermal paste with no change.

I have tried to manually set my fan speed in the bios. The only setting that avoids this issue is setting the temperature / fan at a constant (and loud) 80-100%. I've tried PWM and DC mode.

I have found a few user reports elsewhere on the web, all reasoning that it's just the way it is. I don't accept that. Opening a folder or browser should not spike temps +30 degrees. Not only is the fan cycling annoying, it puts undue stress on my fan; possibly shortening its lifespan.

What's the answer, if any? RMA?

1 Solution
RonaldM_Intel

Hello Everyone,

We appreciate the feedback you have provided, and your patience as we investigated this behavior. The reported behavior of the 7th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-7700K Processor, showing momentary temperature changes from the idle temperature, is normal while completing a task (like opening a browser or an application or a program).

In our internal investigation, we did not observe temperature variation outside of the expected behavior and recommended specifications. For processor specifications, please refer to the https://ark.intel.com/products/97129/Intel-Core-i7-7700K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_50-GHz Intel® Core™ i7-7700K Processor Product Specifications.

Most motherboard manufacturers offer customizable fan speed control settings that may allow for smoother transition of fan revolutions per minute (rpm). Please consult your motherboard manufacturer's manual or website for instructions on how to change default fan speed control settings.

We do not recommend running outside the processor specifications, such as by exceeding processor frequency or voltage specifications, or removing of the integrated heat spreader (sometimes called "de-lidding"). These actions will void the processor warranty.

Kindest Regards,

Ronald M.

View solution in original post

1,110 Replies
cdarn
Novice

i found this,

Last answered 10/3 and linked to this thread.

but still, soo bad support from intel.

0 Kudos
DY
Beginner

Not to derail this thread, but I have the same issue with the 7600k. Random 20 deg. temp spikes doing mundane things. I didn't see a separate 7600k thread, but it seemed logical to at least note it in this thread.

Motherboard Brand: Asus

Motherboard Model: Z270G

BIOS Version: 0801

RAM Part Number: Gskill F4-3000C15D-16GVKB

OS installed: W10x64

Video Card: Asus STRIX-GTX1070-O8G-GAMING

0 Kudos
ssote
New Contributor II

Pleas update me Intel if you will have a new CPU without this problem.

0 Kudos
LChow1
Beginner

So, do anyone know this is the problem of a certain batch of 7700/7700k, or it is the design problem?

If it is the design problem, even RMA won't fix the problem.

Does anyone tried to replace a new CPU from the computer shop you purchased?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi

I've got the same issue on my 3 days old i7 7700k

In the attachments you can clearly see the temperature jump between full load and no load. The only place I'm able to find steady readings is inside the BIOS.

Processor Model: Intel I7 7700k

Motherboard Brand: ASUS

Motherboard Model: PRIME Z270-A

BIOS Version: American Megatrends Inc. 0801, 20.01.2017

RAM Part Number: CMK16GX4M2B3000C15

OS installed: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 10.0.14393 Build 14393

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB SC Gaming

0 Kudos
RStol1
Beginner

Same issues for me. my CPU is idling around 30-35c with instant spikes up to 50-60. While playing Overwatch 70-83c. As everyone else has said these spikes are instant and quickly drop 20-30 degrees.

It really bothers me that I can't play a game for more than a few minutes before I get a warning in Cam. It seems to happen regardless of whether turbo boost is on or off.

Asrock z270 extreme 4

i7-7700k

kraken x52

Windows 10

GTX 1080.

0 Kudos
ICitr
Novice

FYI: I just found this in another thread here on the Intel forums:

First of all, I just wanted to let you know that we are currently doing a research in regard to the temperature behavior on the Intel® i7-7700K processor.

The problem that most of the peers are reporting is related to temperature spiking, for example jumping from 35 °C to 80 °C.

It indicates to me that Intel is working on the problem but for whatever reason have decided not to give heartbeat posts here in this thread.

0 Kudos
LChow1
Beginner

Does anyone know that RMA and get a new CPU can solve the problem or not?

0 Kudos
MGigu
Beginner

csunny95 a écrit:

Does anyone know that RMA and get a new CPU can solve the problem or not?

I would also like to know that. Is the problem on some of the chips or on pretty much all of them?

0 Kudos
RG9
Beginner

Just built a new PC and IMMEDIATELY regret my decision to go with this platform/chip instead of the shiny new CPUs of the competition. If not for my desire to build a small PC, I would have went the other way but there aren't any available ITX motherboards at the moment.

Been getting the same crap as anyone else, idle temps ~40C then spike to ~60C for a second - rinse and repeat. Cinebench and Heaven will get it to 70+C. I somehow manage to calm the fans down at least by setting "Eco Mode" in BIOS but now I'm just running stock speeds (no boost).

i7-7700K @ 4.2

ASUS ROG Strix Z270i

EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE

32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000

ARCTIC Liquid Freezer 120

EVGA SuperNOVA G3 850W

Fractal Design Define Nano S Mini ITX

Anybody know how good Amazon's return policy is?

0 Kudos
cmack2
Novice

INTEL, WE'VE HAD A PROBLEM!

ASUS Z270 TUF Mark 1 with 7700K...

professionally built by my computer system supplier...

Corsair H115i AIO cooler (now in Performance Mode because of overheating)...

after various stress tests (85-100 degrees C) , H115i cools CPU rapidly...

i have attached a video of 7700K temperature spikes - in real-time via HWMonitor - inexplicable...

when will INTEL REPLY to an OBVIOUS PROBLEM...

cheers, craig

australia

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Registered just to leave a reply.

My specs:

i7 7700 (non K)

Gigabyte H270 gaming 3 mobo

G skill Aegis 16 gb DDR4 RAM

Katana 4 cooler

Corsair CX 600 PSU

Also having spikes. Found that changing cpu voltage in BIOS lowered spikes and temps. Mine is set to 1.15 V.

0 Kudos
NDe_S1
Novice

Intel... please get us an update on this issue!!!

0 Kudos
LChow1
Beginner

Does anyone know that i7-6700(Skylake) have the temp spike problem or not?

If the 6700 don't encounter this problem, I gonna return my 7700 to the seller and get a 6700 instead

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Saw somewhere on the web it does...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I've seen some complaints about the 6700k having temp spikes, but it seems like its more common on the 7700k.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Yes the i7 6700k has the same issues. When I run Prime95 with small FFT's test, the temps jump very high, despite water cooling. I replaced the water cooler, updated the BIOS, reset the CMOS, cleaned and re-applied thermal paste etc, but same problem. Intel won't admit there's a fault because their paltry diagnostic testing tool passes. If only Intel would run Prime95 - small FFT's test - for at least 15 minutes on these affected processors and see the same results i.e. high temps and sometimes blue-screen crashes.

0 Kudos
ICitr
Novice

I'm just thinking out loud. There sure seem to be a lot of Asus motherboards represented in this thread. I tried to look up what market share Asus holds but I couldn't nail down a definitive answer. I think it's about 30% of DIY motherboard sales. But, if this is an Asus UEFI issue, for example, then why would the problem be seen with Asrock, Gigabyte, and MSI boards, which are also represented here?

I've already purchased a bunch of components for my new build. I must say, this issue is making me really nervous about pulling the trigger on my motherboard and CPU selection, which is the Asus Maximus IX Hero and the Intel 7700K. I'm going to wait a while longer. I hope Intel is really working on this.

0 Kudos
MSpan
Beginner

I have an MSI Titanium Z270 and have the same issue.

im wondering if it is a voltag issue. A lot of people on YouTube that have been doing overclock videos aren't reporting this issue. They manually overclock the CPU though. Perhaps the motherboards and their built in OC setups are overvolted?

anyone try to lower the voltage to see if it still happens?

0 Kudos
BMill15
Beginner

i have just joined and subscribed to help report this absolutely horrible issue with the 7700k processor. i have just saved up for 3 months to build my new gaming PC and made the horrible mistake of purchasing this "broken" CPU. i do not have the money to purchase a new board or CPU and as a result am stuck with having a unstable CPU. which may or may not have a short lifespan due to this spiking and very high temps. i will be trying to return this CPU and motherboard and buying a ryzen based system but i fear i cannot due to purchasing all the new parts online. intel need to pull their finger out there ass and fix this issue as this is not only an inconvenience for people who are on a budget and chose to put their faith on a decent CPU. any sign intel is working to fix the situation would be much appreciated as this is barely even customer service.

....from a very unhappy last time customer...

CPU - Intel I7 7700k

MOBO - ASrock pro4 z270

RAM - corsair vengeance DDR4 16gb 3000MHz ( correct xmp in bios)

GPU - GTX 660

Cooler - Antec Khuler 240mm radiator system

i get the same wild temp spikes and issues, aswell as 42 degree idle temps in bios

0 Kudos
cdarn
Novice

I have Gigabyte z270 gaming K3

And got the temp spikes

0 Kudos