Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14589 Discussions

Thermal sensor issue i7-7700k?

CK7
Beginner

I have a brand new build; EVERYTHING NEW. i7-7700k is running at stock speeds. I have the RAM set to XMP for DDR4-2666. Motherboard is Asus Maximus IX Hero Z270.

I have found that the i7-7700k reports a momentary (a second or less) temperature spike +25 > 35 degrees Celsius anytime a program is opened, a webpage is opened, a background app runs etc. The temperature blip cascades through the cores in random order; not the same every time. This causes my heatsink fan to constantly cycle up and down. Temperatures otherwise report as steady, normal increases. Peak temperature under Prime95 blend test is 71 degrees Celsius.

Attempted solutions:

I have re-installed my heatsink and thermal paste with no change.

I have tried to manually set my fan speed in the bios. The only setting that avoids this issue is setting the temperature / fan at a constant (and loud) 80-100%. I've tried PWM and DC mode.

I have found a few user reports elsewhere on the web, all reasoning that it's just the way it is. I don't accept that. Opening a folder or browser should not spike temps +30 degrees. Not only is the fan cycling annoying, it puts undue stress on my fan; possibly shortening its lifespan.

What's the answer, if any? RMA?

1 Solution
RonaldM_Intel

Hello Everyone,

We appreciate the feedback you have provided, and your patience as we investigated this behavior. The reported behavior of the 7th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-7700K Processor, showing momentary temperature changes from the idle temperature, is normal while completing a task (like opening a browser or an application or a program).

In our internal investigation, we did not observe temperature variation outside of the expected behavior and recommended specifications. For processor specifications, please refer to the https://ark.intel.com/products/97129/Intel-Core-i7-7700K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_50-GHz Intel® Core™ i7-7700K Processor Product Specifications.

Most motherboard manufacturers offer customizable fan speed control settings that may allow for smoother transition of fan revolutions per minute (rpm). Please consult your motherboard manufacturer's manual or website for instructions on how to change default fan speed control settings.

We do not recommend running outside the processor specifications, such as by exceeding processor frequency or voltage specifications, or removing of the integrated heat spreader (sometimes called "de-lidding"). These actions will void the processor warranty.

Kindest Regards,

Ronald M.

View solution in original post

1,110 Replies
AS19
Beginner

Hello,

just joined to subscribe to the thread and possible solution. I have the same problem with my brand new system

System specs:

Intel i7 7700k

ASUS Maximums IX Hero (latest BIOS installed)

32GB Corsair Vengeance LED 3000Mhz

ASUS ROG 1080 A0G GPU

Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Corsair i100v2 AIO cooler

Massive temperature spikes on all cores while idling, mild browsing, under light and heavy load. Spikes of 20 - 30C every second.

Here are AIDA 64 temperature / CPU load reports

Light internet browsing / idle:

Gaming, then idle

light browsing, then AIDA 64 stability test, then idle

0 Kudos
RStol1
Beginner

Build:

Asrock z270 Extreme 4

i7-7700k

8gb ram

Kraken x52 cooler

I posted earlier about heat spikes. After updating my bios to version 1.4 (version 1.3 had "EC OC" updates) and selecting the 4.8 template, my rig now passes ROG benchmark and Cinebench topping out around 73c. Idling is now 25-30c. BIOS says core voltage is 1.3, CPU-Z says 1.296, multiplier 8-48.

Previously, the chip was auto set by the motherboard to 4.6 at 1.35v.

I'll test 4.9 an 5.0 next week for stability.

0 Kudos
LChow1
Beginner

anyone tried RMA?

0 Kudos
THall2
Beginner

Asus released a new bios end of Feb... anyone tried it?

I have a strix z270f....

STRIX Z270F GAMING BIOS 0801

1.Improved PS2 devices/VGA card compatibility

2.Modified OA key function in legacy OS.

3.Improved System Performance.

4.Fixed overclocking profile naming issue.

5.Modified Thermal Control function.

So was wondering about the modified thermal control...

my system has a warranty that prevents me modifying the bios settings due to overclock settings so can't test this.

0 Kudos
OJuni2
Beginner

Hi! Same problem here. Tried this bios (0801) but nothing has changed.

System idles about 40C, and I've got this spikes above 60C with minimal use of CPU (like internet browsing).

System:

Mobo: Asus Strix Z270F (Default options, except for DDR4 3200 profile) - Bios 0801

CPU: 7700K (Stock)

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LED 16GB (2X8) 3200MHZ DDR4, CMU16GX4M2C3200C16

GPU: Galax GTX 1070 EX

Case: NZXT S340 Elite with Corsair AF120 Performance fans.

I came from an awesome i5 2500K+P8Z68V-PRO and I thought the quality of 7700K was the same or even better. Man, I regret I'm not ZEN today...

0 Kudos
yzeev
Beginner

have the same issue over here (EVERYTHING NEW)

System Spec:

Asus s maximus ix z270

I7 7700k

corsair dominator platinum 16Gb 3000mhz

Windows 10 Pro

(Cooled by a 120mm cooler master 212x)

have found that the i7-7700k reports a momentary temperature spike +25 > 35 degrees Celsius anytime a program is opened, a webpage is opened, a background app runs etc

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

System Spec:

ASUS Z270 Strix H

I7 7700k

16Gb Corsair Vengeance White LED 3000mhz RAM

Windows 10 Pro

Case: Corsair 540 Air

Cooling: 2 x Corsair ML140

Heatsink: AIO Thermaltake Water 2.0

Aida64 screenshot attached. Gaming on the left hand side of the graph, idling on the right, Updating once a second, so the idle graph shows approx 5-7 mins, spiking 25+ times in that period.

0 Kudos
EGeor2
Beginner

Same issue here.

Asus mobo, 7700k water cooled. Windows 10. No overclock yet - still default clocks and voltages.

Temperatures in the mid-high 60s under stress testing. Spikes into the low 60s from idle processes, opening a browser window, etc. Annoying fan cycling.

0 Kudos
DBux
New Contributor I

The same issues here, bought last weekend (what a pity I hadn't read about this issue before). CPU temperature spikes, annoying fan mad cycling...

CPU i7700K (wind cooled), MB Gigabyte Z270 gaming 7, Ram 32Gb Corsair 3200, GPu Nv GTX 1080...

Without overclocking, default options, Idle, about 35-40º. Load, +-80º (more when gaming).

I also feel that problem is not with real temperature (my computer and cooler isn't hot) but with CPU sensors (indeed, I think isn't phisically possible to change between 40º-80º-40º in one or two seconds).

Please, Intel, don't make us regret; give us a solution! (or, at least, an answer).

0 Kudos
AGhit2
Beginner

Hello,

I just bought this CPU a few days ago and i got the same problem as everyone here. Temps in idle are arround 28-30 degree C. But from time to time random cores jumps form that ammount of degrees to like 40, 50 and then after 1 second goes back to 28-30. No overclock by the way.

Ex: Core"x" : 28C (SECOND 1)

Core"x" : 40C (SECOND 2)

Core"x" : 29C (SECOND 3)

Processor Model: I7-7700k 4.20 Ghz, Kaby Lake 8 MB, Socket 1151, BOX

Motherboard Brand: ASUS

Motherboard Model: Z170 Pro Gaming

BIOS Version: 3202

RAM Part Number: ?? HyperX FURY Black 16GB, DDR4, 2400MHz, CL15, 1.2V, kit 2x8GB

OS installed : Windows 10 64bit

Video Card: Asus Stirx GTX 1060 OC 128 bit.

Temperatures in games like:

Battlefield 1: 47-73C

Red Orchestra 2(very old game) : same as BF1... this is very weird.

Assassin's Creed Unity: arround 50-70C

Forgot to mention. In games the temperatures are not constant. They go crazy like ( now is 47, then is 55 then 68, then 71, then go back to 50, then 60... this happens very fast, like 1 or 2 seconds between there jumps). The problem is not the cooler.

0 Kudos
ELitt
Beginner

The issue doesn't appear to be with other peices of hardware, it's definitely the 7700K.

Could anyone who's posting here with the same issue check VID and vCore average and max in HWMonitor, from what I can tell the 7700K likes to pull an absurd amount of power to itself due to Intel Turbo Boost.

I've seen the following:

At all default (clocks, bios etc...) I'm seeing the vCore range from ~1.100V all the way up to 1.374V.

To give a comparison, 1.374V should net you a 5Ghz OC.

After setting the vCore to 1.200V in the BIOS (100% stable) my 7700K no longer jumps up to 92c under full stress test (in AIDA64 with CPU and FPU enabled, Kraken X62), instead it hovers around 75-80.

While it still has the spikes, they are greatly reduced in temperature.

It would be great If someone else could confirm setting vCore in BIOS to 1.100V or 1.200V greatly reduces the issue and temperatures. It may also be a good idea to note that the 7700K likes to go HAM with anything you throw at it, that means opening the calculator or doing anything the processor will ramp up to the max (not necessarily a bad thing).

idata
Employee

CPU: 7700K @ 5GHz w/ 1.328 vCore

MOBO: MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon

GPU: 970 GTX (upgrading, soon).

MEM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz

COOLING: Corsair H100i V2 w/ pre-applied thermal paste

http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/3171397 http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/3171397

CPU Clock: 50 (5GHZ)

EIST: Disabled

Extreme Memory Profile: Enabled

CPU Core Voltage: 1.325 (1.328V displaying in BIOS)

CPU SA Voltage: 1.200 (1.208V displaying in BIOS as shown in the image after Core Voltage) - This value was set to AUTO previously, and over 1.3V

CPU IO Voltage: 1.2 (1.160V displaying in BIOS as shown in the image after Core Voltage) - This value was set to AUTO previously, and over 1.3V

Lowering the CPU PLL OC Voltage to 1.2 from the AUTO setting changed my temps a fair bit, they 'spike' but only to 35-45 really.

Can see my other voltages here, PLL OC is at 1.2 (not 1.1,like in this screenshot).

I have just played a few games for 4 solid hours, these are my max temperatures:

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Yes setting manually your Vcore to 1.2 will lower temp ofc.

I can run 4.7gz 100% stable with that (max temp 70 from 1 core while gaming others about 65 or under) and default 4.2 clocks i can use 1.1 Vcore and tops 60 temp while gaming.

But...there is still spikes even you dont have any program open...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Here is my settings for Asus ROG Maximus IX hero motherboard 4.7gz stable overclock.

Make sure you dont have set AUTO @ CPU Core or you will get retarded high temp on your i7 7700k! Set it to manual mode and CPU core voltage override to 1.2!! CPUID SVID SUPPORT need to be - DISABLED!! < = VERY Important!

Same settings work 100% on default clocks (4.2gz) if you dont want to use overclock. You can actually drop this value to 1.15 or even 1.1!

With this 4.7gz overclock setup I will get max 69 temp. when gaming BF1 or Forza Horizon 3 or Star Wars Battlefront

Hope this helps some of you guys!

0 Kudos
LRibe2
Novice

Hi again!!

By the way Timoxi, nice info!!

I really think that this is not an issue, I really thing that the CPU is configured to have excess voltage... the spikes may be related with intel speedstep or something similar...

Sad thing about all of this, is that Intel just dosent care... They simply dont awnser us. I belive that the previous gen had the same issues.. 6700k also presents this spikes.

Any way.. temperatures are high and I bet there is a way to lower it depending on bios setup.

My problem is that I´m not an expert on OC and dont seem to be able to control my CPUs voltages... I set it to 1.2.. but when I check it it allways reaches 1.3 or above... This might be the reason for the high temperatures above 70º

Can someone tell me the steps to setup my bios in a way that voltage dosent go above 1.3 and also maintain the 1.2v ram at 2400mhz?

It´s really annoying cuz I set 1.2v on the CPU but there are other factors that influence this values and make it go above 1.3...

Thaks guys and Kiss my ARSS INTEL for ignoring us!!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

On video 14 sec time mark I show CPUID SVID SUPPORT this need to be - DISABLED!! < = VERY Important!

Find this from your bios and disable it and your are good to go.

And if you want 1.2v voltage to your RAM just write it on your RAM VOLTAGE like i have on my video 1.35v.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I did not lower my vCore, re-read my post.

0 Kudos
AGhit2
Beginner

If we do this, don't we risk to cut the performances of the CPU ? I did what you said there, the temperatures were ok but the CPU did not use all its power(not all 8 theards).

0 Kudos
LRibe2
Novice

Hi again guys.

Gotta thank you all for your info share. I was able to manually setup my CPU. Yes, CPUID SVID SUPPORT was really messing things up... It was overriding my selected voltage values.

So... INTEL, THANKS A LOT FOR NOT HELPING!!! Timoxi and RitchieDrama, your info was crucial for my testing.. I'm now able to reach 4.8Ghz under 1.3V, Stable and running intel burn test (Before, this stress test reached 80 + C degrees) under 75º with 300Mhz extra.

Plus, Userbenchmark has insane score of 115% and temps dont go above 65º while benchmarking, gaming etc.

Even the Spikes have cool down a lot, must be related to the adaptive Voltages or some sort of Mobo enhacement.

Now, this is the CPU I was expecting when I bought it. I believe there are some units that can OC even better with lower temps, but I must say, now I'm really happy with it´s performance. Thousands of 7700k have been tested on userbenchmark, having a score of 115% with no issues and not OCing the CPU to the MAX puts a smile on my face.

Once again, THAKS A LOT GUYS and INTEL, Shame on you!! At least, enjoy the solutions that everyone here is giving you for free and share it in an official way!!!!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

OverDriver_PT83 - Glad I could be of some help.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi ... I wonder if you would be kind enough to let me have your settings. I'm on an Asus Prime 270-A and I have clocked to 4.8GHz on 2 cores and 4.7GHz on 2 cores and RAM at 3200MHz. At full load (AIDA64 stress test) the temps are spiking up to max of 84 with an average of about 70.

I used the Asus AI Suite 3 as I know virtually nothing about overclocking, but I do know enough to change the BIOS (with some help with the settings, that is!). The AI Suite 3 set the core voltage to Adaptive with a max of 1.325 (as I show below).

If I understand correctly, the idea is to set a fixed VCore that will give a stable system at the max frequency. The downside is that the voltage will still be high at low frequencies, but won't go over the set value at higher frequencies. Is that correct?

I also understand that with this approach the CPU SVID Support should be disabled (to prevent the CPU from adjusting the voltages).

Here are my system settings (from AI Suite 3):

I'm a bit puzzled about the cache frequency, which is still at 4.2GHz ... should this not be increased to be nearer the core frequency?

At any rate, I would really appreciate some advice as nothing seems to be coming from Intel (I have put in a support request but I'm not holding my breath!).

BTW, I'm using a Kraken X62 cooler and I have a good solid 750W Corsair power supply.

Cheers,

Robert

0 Kudos