Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14554 Discussions

Unstable i7-14700k

Peguar
Beginner

Having issues with 14700k on my gigabyte z790 gaming x Bios F9 (Windows 10 pro), 1000w power supply. When all set to auto cant pass avx and avx2 stress test(XTU). Video editing programs cant finish rendering, games crash little later (all BSOD). I also have kingston fury renegade 2x16Gb running on xmp 2 profile 6800Mt/s. Tried disabling xmp but it didn`t change anything. On high usage cpu hits 100C very easily. I have ag620 deepcool air cooler.  I tried all presets on motherboard Optimized, 6GHZ, even disable e cores. Only thing that works better i set p cores to 50 (5000Mhz) and e cores to 38 (3800Mhz), temps cant pass 75C. Now the problem is avx2 stress test sometimes work and sometimes don`t, have also initial bootup 20-30s, setup for memory boot speed in bios is normal. I also disabled turbo boost or any type of boost for cpu and for memory.  From another thread i read to test cpu with Intel processor diagnostic tool and i did and it all passed but not in XTU avx2 fails almost instantly. I don`t have any ideas any more i just want to make this stable. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution
JayB_Intel

Hello Peguar,

Thank you for contacting us regarding your Intel® Core™ i7 processor 14700K having instability issues. We apologize for any inconvenience that this might have caused you. We appreciate you conducting troubleshooting on your end. Additionally, we would like to suggest considering the steps below for addressing your concern:

Method 1

1. Access BIOS
  2. Select "ADVANCED MODE"
  3. In the Tweaker tab
  4. Locate the CPU Vcore
  5. Select "Normal" option.
  6. Select "Dynamic Vcore(DVID)" option.
  7. Change it from "Auto" to "+0.005V"
  8. Increase the DVID by +0.005 and reboot OS, until the crash disappears, and the system is running stable. 

Method 2

1. Access BIOS
  2. select "Tweaker"
  3. select "Advanced Voltage Settings"
  4. select "CPU/VRAM Settings"
  5. adjust "CPU Vcore Loadline Calibration"
  6. recommend starting from "Low" to "Medium" until system is stable.

After implemented methods 1 or 2, run XTU test again and if the AVX2 test can pass, run your games and rendering programs and see if the issue persists.

If the issue persists after the suggest steps above, please see below for our next steps of diagnosis.

• Gather Application logs from Windows Event viewer "Windows Logs"
    • Press the "Windows key" + "R" and type in "eventvwr.msc", then click “OK” to run the Event Viewer.
      • Under "Event Viewer (Local)" > "Windows Logs", select the Application - to collect "Application Logs".
      • To Save the event log. Click menu "Action" and select "Save All Events As…".
      • Save the log file with your desired file name and location.

• Generate Windows dump file to help us with the analysis of your concern using the link: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-client/performance/generate-a-kernel-or-complete-crash-dump
    • Follow the "Manually generate a memory dump file" procedure. This command notMyfault.exe /crash will trigger BSOD which is part of generating dump file. Make sure that this data is saved and all closed prior executing this program.
      • These are just examples of where the dumped files are normally located. The location might've been changed prior to running the tool from your end.
        • Small Memory dump - C:\WINDOWS\Minidump directory.
    • The Kernel and Complete Memory Dump - %SystemRoot%MEMORY. DMP.
      • Note: The Kernel and Complete Memory Dump is a huge file(approximately around 2GB). We would suggest considering sharing it with us via Google Drive. It is important for us to gather all the information necessary to provide you a better recommendation in resolving your concern.

Kindly download and use the tools below and send us a screenshot of its results for analysis:

Best regards,

John B.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
JayB_Intel

Hello Peguar,

Thank you for contacting us regarding your Intel® Core™ i7 processor 14700K having instability issues. We apologize for any inconvenience that this might have caused you. We appreciate you conducting troubleshooting on your end. Additionally, we would like to suggest considering the steps below for addressing your concern:

Method 1

1. Access BIOS
  2. Select "ADVANCED MODE"
  3. In the Tweaker tab
  4. Locate the CPU Vcore
  5. Select "Normal" option.
  6. Select "Dynamic Vcore(DVID)" option.
  7. Change it from "Auto" to "+0.005V"
  8. Increase the DVID by +0.005 and reboot OS, until the crash disappears, and the system is running stable. 

Method 2

1. Access BIOS
  2. select "Tweaker"
  3. select "Advanced Voltage Settings"
  4. select "CPU/VRAM Settings"
  5. adjust "CPU Vcore Loadline Calibration"
  6. recommend starting from "Low" to "Medium" until system is stable.

After implemented methods 1 or 2, run XTU test again and if the AVX2 test can pass, run your games and rendering programs and see if the issue persists.

If the issue persists after the suggest steps above, please see below for our next steps of diagnosis.

• Gather Application logs from Windows Event viewer "Windows Logs"
    • Press the "Windows key" + "R" and type in "eventvwr.msc", then click “OK” to run the Event Viewer.
      • Under "Event Viewer (Local)" > "Windows Logs", select the Application - to collect "Application Logs".
      • To Save the event log. Click menu "Action" and select "Save All Events As…".
      • Save the log file with your desired file name and location.

• Generate Windows dump file to help us with the analysis of your concern using the link: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-client/performance/generate-a-kernel-or-complete-crash-dump
    • Follow the "Manually generate a memory dump file" procedure. This command notMyfault.exe /crash will trigger BSOD which is part of generating dump file. Make sure that this data is saved and all closed prior executing this program.
      • These are just examples of where the dumped files are normally located. The location might've been changed prior to running the tool from your end.
        • Small Memory dump - C:\WINDOWS\Minidump directory.
    • The Kernel and Complete Memory Dump - %SystemRoot%MEMORY. DMP.
      • Note: The Kernel and Complete Memory Dump is a huge file(approximately around 2GB). We would suggest considering sharing it with us via Google Drive. It is important for us to gather all the information necessary to provide you a better recommendation in resolving your concern.

Kindly download and use the tools below and send us a screenshot of its results for analysis:

Best regards,

John B.

0 Kudos
Peguar
Beginner

Thank you. It seems that cpu vcore loadline set to medium or in my case normal did the trick. 

0 Kudos
crazyrom
Beginner

Hello dear sir!
I had the exact same problem, and the exact same solution also helped me.
Now, I would like to understand better: 
Who's fault is this? Is the processor not good enough, that it needs extra V to be stable? Is it the motherboard that is unable to keep the needed V while at default settings? (my PSU is EVGA 1200w platinum). 
Funny that my wife has the same processor and motherboard (PSU is just 850w gold), and it's all stable, with no errors or crashes.

Also, when doing the XTU benchmark, I get only 11200pts (while her PC gets 11700) and in my case, it enters thermal throttling at 240-250W - this makes me think I did a bad job while applying thermal paste (cooler master master gel regular). Maybe this could even be helping to cause the instability problem...

0 Kudos
Peguar
Beginner

It depends, what motherboard you have, what memory and power supply. If your cpu throttles it can be temperature. I downclocked mine from 5.5Ghz to 5000Ghz because i seen my cpu easily hit high temps. Now it cant pass 80C. Maybe i can raise to 5.2 but Cinebench goes from 33000 to 35000 which is not huge difference. BIOS version also can contribute to errors. Always put newest BIOS. I also heard that Windows 11 is better than windows 10 because of its better support for E and P cores. And finally,  as they say, it could be just bad silicon lottery.  For 14700K water cooling is a must if you want to use it in full. I have air cooling Deep Cool ag620 and i am satisfied with temps.

0 Kudos
Flouiz
Beginner

Hey John,

Thank you for the information, i've quite the same issue but with a different motherboard, an ASUS PRIME B760M-A WIFI, and i'm unable to find an equivalent of the settings.

I took photo of the bios (see enclosed)

Thank you very much,

Flo

0 Kudos
Peguar
Beginner

My motherboard has Enhanced turbo boost setting, yours must be mce or multi core enhancement  so disable that and try also to set load-line calibration LLC (in your case CPU load line calibration) to normal or medium or low,  in your case lvl 3 (default), lvl 2 should be low. Test with intel xtu avx and avx2 stress test and if it passes you are good.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hi Peguar,

Thank you for the update on this matter.

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Caguicla C.

0 Kudos
Peguar
Beginner

I use same settings. As for the MB manufacturers they need to set safest preset that works and then when someone wants to OC or undervolt they do that under their own responsability. I wasted 2 months figuring out all BIOS options. Now i need to save my preset in case i upgrade BIOS because i changed a lot of options.

0 Kudos
Peguar
Beginner

Gigabyte z790 Gaming X

0 Kudos
Peguar
Beginner

What cooling do you have? If its air than that is not enough. I also disabled MCE.  PL1 and PL2 set at 253, ICCMax at 400(307 sometimes freezes my pc who knows why and i dont like giving bios unlimited ICCMax so 400 is fine). I also reduced P core multiplier to 50x so 5GHz and E core multiplier to 38 or 3800 because when i leave all at auto i hit 100C and after throtling cpu drops at 5.2GHz.So after this setup cpu never throtles  I lost 10% speed in cinebench but max temp never passes 80C. My cooling is DeepCool ak620. I would leave CEP on. Everything else related to cpu in bios is AUTO.  

0 Kudos