Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14503 Discussions

What CPU's can I upgrade to from 6th Gen i3?

MHeld1
Beginner

Hello, I have a Dell Inspiron 3650 Desktop and I'm looking to upgrade my Processor. Can anyone help me find one that'll work with my PC? I'd like an i7 but I have some questions. I'm attaching the info from CPU-z at the bottom. My questions are, can I upgrade my CPU to i7? Does it have to be the same 6th Gen? Can I install a 7th or 8th Gen? It's a Socket 1151 LGA. How many i7 Cores? (Quad Core?) Does it have to be the same Watt? CPU-z says Max TDP 51.0W and the i7's online say 91W. What about Core Voltage and Technology? (14nm). What about Intel Graphics? I have Intel HD 530 and the 6th Gen i7's online say HD 530. I would like an upgrade from that if I can. (like Intel HD 4000.) Here's my specs from CPU-Z...

Intel Core i3 6100 @ 3.70GHz

Skylake

Mac TDP 51.0W

Socket 1151 LGA

Technology 14nm

Core Voltage 1.792 V

Family 6

Ext Family 6

Model E

Ext Model 5E

Stepping 3

Revision R0

Mainboard Dell Inc. 0C2XKD A00

Skylake

Skylake PCH

GPU Intel HD Graphics Board Manuf. 0x1028 (0x06F7

0 Kudos
1 Solution
AlHill
Super User

You will have to ask DELL your question.

An upgrade processor must be socket, chipset, AND DELL BIOS compatible. Only Dell can provide this information. Then, you can select from the list of processors they support on their BIOS on their board.

You may want to review this: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005682/processors.html Intel® Desktop Processor Upgrade Information

And, going from HD530 to HD4000 is the wrong direction.

Doc

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AlHill
Super User

You will have to ask DELL your question.

An upgrade processor must be socket, chipset, AND DELL BIOS compatible. Only Dell can provide this information. Then, you can select from the list of processors they support on their BIOS on their board.

You may want to review this: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005682/processors.html Intel® Desktop Processor Upgrade Information

And, going from HD530 to HD4000 is the wrong direction.

Doc

0 Kudos
MHeld1
Beginner

Hi, thanks for your fast reply. I emailed Dell and gave them all my CPU-Z info And my Service Tag. I'll mark this as solved.

0 Kudos