Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14509 Discussions

What temperatures are normal for Intel Core i7 7700HQ?

AKirk1
Beginner

I am measuring the temperature of the 4 cores of the processor and they are:

55-70° C - when I just start my laptop

75-90° C - when I use Resolume(program for projecting visualizations on the wall)

Is this normal temperatures, especially in the case when I don't use any special program, but just start the laptop..?

Basically, where I can find this kind of information, about the normal temperatures of the processor?

Thank you.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

None of these temperatures are really concerning, though I hope that the max temperature never goes higher than 90c. If you laptop's BIOS supports the configuration of the blower speed control, you might want to raise the minimum duty cycle to get it down to a worst-case of ~85c.

After running something like Resolume for a while and then shutting it down, what idle temperature do you see the processor then settle at?

...S

0 Kudos
AKirk1
Beginner

Very soon after I shut down the Resolume the temperatures go to around 60°C.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

It doesn't settle lower than that? That's a bit high (though not panic high). As I said, you should check if there are any parameters for configuring the fan response in BIOS Setup. If there are, you might want to configure the response to be a little more aggressive.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
AKirk1
Beginner

Can you tell me where exactly to search for this kind of fan response?

I'm with Windows 10, http://https//www.asus.com/Laptops/ASUS-VivoBook-Pro-15-N580VD/ ASUS VivoBook Pro 15 N580VD.
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

No, sorry, I can't. I don't have one of these laptops, so I can't identify whether these settings are supported or where you would find them in their setup tree. If they are not obvious, then you should contact Asus's support folks and ask them (that's their job, after all).

...S

0 Kudos