Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14504 Discussions

Where can I buy an i7-8565U chip?

JWell13
Beginner

I have a Dell Inspiron 17 7778 2 in 1 laptop currently with an i7-6500U processor. I have been searching the net for the 8565U processor and what the price would be. Every time I search I only get laptops with that chip, not the chip itself. Does anyone out here know a good supplier for this chip or is it too new that only EOMs have it?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Purchasing the chip will not help you, as your processor is soldered to the motherboard. If you were to get the i7-8565U, it would also be soldered to a motherboard.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/compare.html?productIds=88194,149091

Your existing laptop cannot be upgraded to any other processor. If it had a removable chip, you would have to ask Dell which processors were supported by their bios.

An upgrade processor must be socket, bios, and chipset compatible.

Doc

JWell13
Beginner

Thanks for the information. I didn't realize Dell was now soldering the chips onto the board. Do you know if a new motherboard with the 8565 chip will fit in my 7778 laptop?I can probably replace it, I have done this kind of work before. I have the machine as tuned as I can with memory and SSDs. My only bottleneck is the processor. I was thinking the processor upgrade would be cheaper than buying a new laptop. The physical machine is still in excellent condition.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Most new laptops have the processor soldered to the motherboard. No, laptop boards are very specific.

Doc

0 Kudos