Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14918 Discussions

Why does my CPU downclock when I remove the laptop power cable? How can I fix this issue?

NPill
Novice

When I remove the laptop charger, My cpu goes from 3.2ghz to 700mhz. I have checked power options, set it to high performance, set the minimum state to 100%, and the maximum to 100%. I want to know if this issue can be fixed, and if so, how. I want to be able to play games while travelling (yes, I spend a lot of time without power points, but have a good battery.)

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

What is the processor model? What software is being used to stress the processor and determine the clock frequency?

You may use the http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-031726.htm Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool

0 Kudos
NPill
Novice

(model) 4th gen i7 4700HQ

I determine the frequency by both task manager, and Intel Extreme Tuning Utility. Both report an identical decrease.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Did you check or reset the settings in your system BIOS back to default?

I suggest contacting the http://www.intel.com/support/oems.htm system manufacturer for assistance.

0 Kudos
NPill
Novice

I haven't changed any bios settings.

0 Kudos
NPill
Novice

Oh, and I have already been through the Asus support. After frequent email exchanges, they decided I should update my bios. I don't think that will fix it, as the problem is probably just a setting, which isn't going to be removed in a small update.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

You may ask ASUS* if they have BIOS release notes. Could it be related to the power delivered by the battery?

0 Kudos
NPill
Novice

Update: Turns out the BIOS update does indeed mention fixing this, but when I try to select the update file via Winflash, i get this error: "The current BIOS cannot recognise the BIOS ROM type>"

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Does ASUS* provide any alternate BIOS update method? You may need to inform ASUS* about this error.

0 Kudos
NPill
Novice

Asus did indeed recommend using a different method. So I tried that, updated the bios, and after some issues getting windows to boot, it ended up working. The CPU now returns to >3ghz after a brief drop when I unplug. I'll consider this fixed. However, I tried playing a game while unplugged, and it was still far worse than when plugged in, so I checked my Graphics card clockrate, and that was really low, ad immediately returned to normal upon plugging the computer back in. So now I need to find a way to keep the GPU at a good clockrate. I may have to bring this up with Nvidia though, as they are the GPU manufacturer. Strangely though, this morning, my computer suddenly decided it wasn't going to boot Windows, so after roughly a dozen restarts, and trips through the bios, changing the boot order etc, I finally got back into windows. The strange this is that just before it started working again, I set the boot order to boot from a USB which had Linux installed... Makes no sense. I think my BIOS is drunk.