Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

Windows 10 and Intel 12th Gen CPUs

calzon65
Novice

There are quite a few posts about this subject many months ago so I am not sure if anything has changed recently.  I have found some conflicting information about Windows 10 and "optimal" support of Intel 12th gen CPUs.

I do know Windows 10 works with Intel 12th generation chips ... BUT ... I think the ultimate question is, does Windows 10 work "optimally" with Intel 12th generation CPUs compared to Windows 11.

What I have found is that Intel worked with Microsoft to help develop certain parts of Windows 11 to ensure Windows 11 optimally works with Intel 12th gen processors using Intel's new Thread Director system, and Widows 10 does not work with Thread Director.

Supposedly Thread Director was created to properly allocate Windows tasks across P-Cores and E-Cores.  This was not an issue in the past because Intel only had P-Cores on their CPUs (at least the desktop CPUs I am familiar with).  So there was not a problem with Windows 10 on older Intel processors.

Personally I would prefer to stick with Windows 10 and not upgrade, for now, to Windows 11, but as I am about to build a new system that will utilize an i7-12700K, and unfortunately I may be forced to use Windows 11 if I want to ensure Windows is optimized to work with the 12th gen CPU.

Any thoughts are very much welcomed.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Steven_Intel

Hello calzon65,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

While Windows 10 performs great with 12th Generation Intel® Core™ Processors with performance hybrid architecture, upgrading to Windows 11 will allow your system to use the full capabilities of Intel® Thread Director to send the right workload to the right core at the right time.

So you should not have any issues with Windows 10, but you will take advantage in a more efficient way with Windows 11.

Please let me know if you have any further concerns.

Regards,

Steven G.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Were you able to check the previous post?

Let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Since we have not heard back from you, we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos