BShua
Beginner

ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING (1803 BIOS version, up to date);

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (64-bit);

Intel Core i7-8700K CPU @ 3.7GHz;

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti;

16GB RAM;

Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB;

CPU and GPU drivers are up to date. Checked Windows Update and that's up to date too.

Even after uninstalling and reinstalling, I am unable to get this program [XTU] to open. The error message is this:

"Unable to start Intel Extreme Tuning Utility. If there is another performance application running, you must close it before trying to start this application."

Nothing else is open when I try opening XTU.

The reason I'm trying to open it is that I noticed recently that while running games, the GPU and CPU are both much hotter than normal. The GPU can get has high as 83C, yet it's not overclocked, and the temperature used to hover in the 60s. The CPU gets even hotter, around 88 sometimes, even though I'm using a Corsair H150i Pro watercooler, which iCUE shows to be working.

To be clear, there is no overclocking on my GPU or my CPU. Perhaps the reason Intel Extreme Tuning Utility won't open is the same reason that the CPU is getting so hot while games are playing.

It's not getting hot enough to damage anything, but something isn't right. I look at videos online of people playing with similar setups, and their CPU stays in the low 60s.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
AlHill
Super User

What version of windows 10? If 1803 (or lower), update to 1809. Go to Start, settings, system, about, and look at the bottom of the page for the version information.

Doc

0 Kudos
BShua
Beginner

Hi Doc,

The About tab says Version 1809, installed on 1/13/2019. I updated the BIOS yesterday.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Ok, thanks for the information.

One of the Intel support engineers will be able assist you.

Doc

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel
Hello BShua Thank you for posting in the Intel Community. Can you try uninstalling the current version and installing the Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU) Latest version 6.5.1.321 (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24075/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU-) The reason to do so is because maybe one of the following drivers was not successfully Name • IOCBIOS Device Driver 6.5.0.73 • Intel® XTU Extension Device 6.5.0.5 • Intel® XTU Component Device 6.5.1.321 • ACPI Device Driver 4.0.0.69 • Watchdog Device Driver 11.7.0.1000 • ICC Proxy Service Version 11.0.0.1191 Hope this helps. Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
BShua
Beginner

Thanks, I already reinstalled it yesterday, but I will do so again today and update you.

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel
Hello BShua Have you tried the installation of Intel® XTU? Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
BShua
Beginner

Yes that did work! Thanks!

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello BShua

I am glad to hear that it is working.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
EduarLugo21
Beginner

I hope you can help me I have the same problem, I tried to download from the link that was in the answers but it is no longer available I hope you can help me is the same problem.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

What is your processor model number?

0 Kudos
EduarLugo21
Beginner

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz 

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Unfortunately, your H processor is not supported by XTU, which only supports X and K  processors.

On the XTU download page, it says " Intel XTU may or may not work on unsupported processors."

It also lists the processors that are supported.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29183/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU

0 Kudos
EduarLugo21
Beginner

I can't understand why, it was working 3 days ago, that's why my question and I've been using it for more than half a year and without problems.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Nonetheless, your processor is not supported.

0 Kudos