Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14874 Discussions

XTU Windows 10 odd values

KrissyG
New Contributor II

So i updated the XTU in hope it will stop crashing when the PC runs for longer than 4 days, just to see this here. Ain't that a gem! 

I have seen such spikes quite few times, but i did not care to check the value, so this time i actually did.

Win10, XTU ver. 7.14.015, i7 13700k. Motherboard Gigabyte B760 Gaming X DDR4.

KrissyG_0-1705942248862.png

My question is, am i the only one seeing this? This is definitely a bug.
I have not tried to run the XTU without any TDP limit, but i will definitely do that, to see if the bug occurs only when TDP is limited. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution
VonM_Intel

Hi, KrissyG.

Thank you for waiting. Power Throttling can occur due to various factors. Launching and closing applications can trigger a lot of processing in a short span of time and result in temporary throttling. There might be also some background services running. Please note that since you have a B760 Chipset which is not a full OC chipset, this might impose some limitations.

Regarding the bug, you reported with the monitoring pause display, it has been identified and will be fixed by the XTU team in the next version. We appreciate your valuable feedback that helps us enhance our application.

Please let us know if you need any further assistance.

Best Regards,

Von M.

Intel Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
16 Replies
VonM_Intel

Hi, KrissyG.

Thank you for posting in the Intel Communities. We would be more than glad to help you solve the problem (Intel XTU issues/bugs).

To better assist you, we would like to ask for the following details: 

• May we know the exact issue (Please share more details about the issue so we can assist you effectively)?
  • Is the system working before (no crashes, no bugs)?
  • Any recent changes made to the system?
  • Have you overclock the processor?

If possible, please provide us with your SSU, as it would really help us if we could get more information about your system.

To provide the Intel SSU logs:

1. Download the Intel® System Support Utility and save the application to your system. 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18377/intel-system-support-utility-for-windows.html 

2. Open the application, tick Everything, and click Scan to see system and device information. The Intel® System Support Utility defaults to the Summary View on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says summary to change to Detailed View. 

3. To save your scan, click Next and click Save. You can save the file to any accessible location on your computer. 

4. Attach the text file here.

Looking forward to your response. Have a nice day ahead!

Best regards,

Von M.

KrissyG
New Contributor II

• May we know the exact issue (Please share more details about the issue so we can assist you effectively)?

The exact issue is incorrect readings/data shown by the XTU software.
Since my PC is water cooled, i rely the  graph to know if the water cooling is working as it supposed to do.

Now, i would end it here, but since i posted on here, there is another odd thing:

KrissyG_0-1706570057031.png

'Power limit throttling' jumps on, i even went with teh mouse over, to see if it's just the graph, but no, it also says on the very left 'Yes', so while there is a 125 Watt limit on the CPU, there is no spike in the temperature nor power reading:

KrissyG_1-1706570189067.png

By now i can easily reproduce the spikes on the 'Power limit throttling' , for that i just need to run the Google Chrome browser.
Or i can launch Egde browser, and just by closing it, i can reproduce such spikes each time!
So, Chrome does the spikes randomly, while closing Edge results in a spike each time.

However, i am unable to reproduce the abnormal value on the 'Package TDP' reading, just the Power limit throttling for now. 
Firefox browser does not produce such spikes at all.

• Is the system working before (no crashes, no bugs)?

If XTU was no launched nor running in the backgroung, then the PC would not crash up to 18 days, that is the max i was willing to test it.
With XTU running, the PC will crash within few days.
So there is a connection to XTU running on my PC.

• Any recent changes made to the system?

Nope, no Hardware nor software changes except the XTU. In fact, it will be close to 1year my PC gets no windows updates.
Afterdisabling all WIndows updates my PC runs as smooth as never!

• Have you overclock the processor?

The motherboard i use is the B760 from Gigabyte, it does not allow overclocking. And since i did not perform any changes in BIOS for maybe longer than 2years,  i see no connection here.

Summary, previous XTU version did never show such spikes, this one does.

SSU Log shows one reading that can't be correct, under 'Processor' it says "Current Voltage:1.7 volts" which is literally not possibe, as about 1,43V  is the max it can go. 

And this part of the XTU shows exactly that:

KrissyG_2-1706571851418.png

Thanks for the reply, on my side it is not a real problem, but more of an inconvenience. 
And obviously, i just selected only few readings for the graph, maybe there is more wrong readings, but there is like 100 of them, or more, so i can't possible check all of them. 

0 Kudos
VonM_Intel

Hi, KrissyG.

Thank you for your prompt response. We acknowledged that and we're sorry for the inconvenience this issue may have caused you. After carefully looking into the screenshots that show the issue you provided, I'm pleased to share with you some tools/applications to test the processor since we noticed that the XTU crashed the system:

Kindly send a screenshot of each result once it's done. In line with the power limit throttling, there could be various reasons why the power limit is throttling on the processor:

• It could be Processor Power Limits PL1/PL2 is set too low in Intel® XTU.
  • The Core Voltage limit is set too low in Intel® XTU or;
  • The system doesn’t have sufficient cooling and power delivery.

Furthermore, if possible, may we know, if have you noticed any error messages that appear on your system when after/during using the XTU?

Please let us know if you have any further questions or clarifications.

Best regards,

Von M.

KrissyG
New Contributor II

Hi,
 i may have posted somewhat misleading information, however i never claimed the 'power limit' is a problem, in fact it is intentional - i set the TDP to 125Watts, this is not a coincidence or error, it is on purpose.

As i stated previously, the only thing that i have issues with, are the readings from the XTU and the graph.
And thhe graph responds to closing Edge browser each time, which it did not do with previous versions of XTU before.

New XTU version -> i close Edge broser -> XTU graph shows impossible values. This is what happens.

Furthermore, if possible, may we know, if have you noticed any error messages that appear on your system when after/during using the XTU?

Nope, no error messages, and the event viewer on Windows 10 does not show any events related to XTU.

I assume some component XTU uses, is being used by Edge or Chrome browser, or in fact any browser to display images or interactive content. 

Well, i would say more users will show up with same/similar issues, maybe someone has a solution.

0 Kudos
VonM_Intel

Hi, KrissyG.

Thank you for clarifying your information and sharing your observations. I understand your concerns regarding the XTU measurements and the graph that responds to exiting Microsoft Edge. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this issue may have caused you.

I'd like to share with you this link/article (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000097860/processors.html), which explains why Intel XTU displays incorrect values. We observed that some monitoring applications running in the background with the XTU may cause conflicts that result in reporting incorrect values. These include frequencies, voltages, and other settings. As such, I would like to know if you are running any of this software (CPU-Z* version 2.0 and later and Corsair iCUE*). If yes, we advised you to close those 3rd Party applications and check if the problem persists.

Furthermore, please be informed that we've checked and replicated the issue on our end using our i7-13700K processor with an updated XTU application and we did not encounter any spike or inconsistency with the values.

Best regards,

Von M.

KrissyG
New Contributor II

Hmm,

so i don't have CPU Z installed, nor any related services, but i have Corsair RAM and iCUE software installed, along with the corsair service(s) running in the background.
Never before i had any false readings (at least no spikes) until i upgraded the XTU to Version 7.14.015, i am not sure what version i had before.

So regardless what was running, there were no spikes on the previous version of XTU.

With no browser open, there will be no spikes visible on the XTU graph - even if iCUE running along with all Corsair service(s).

The moment i open Chrome or Edge = a lot of spikes. 
Firefox does not produce spikes at all......

I just uninstalled everything Corsair related and restarted the PC -  i can still reproduce the spikes.
And before i uninstalled Corsair software, Chrome would randomly create those spikes, now it seems it does not, only when closed or opened. 

KrissyG_0-1707092857835.png

In screenshot - first spike came after opening Chrome, the second one when i closed Edge, closing Edge results almost each time with a spike. 

As can be seen, now i have no services related to Corsair.
However, there are definitely Corsair drivers on my PC - bcoz the RAM is from Corsair.

KrissyG_1-1707092968269.png

There is still that Gigabyte Control Center, which also monitors frequency and temperature on the CPU and other componnets, however, i can not uninstall the serivces, as i need it to control the fans, and some services are even required. 
Again, i had it always running, so, i can't see it being related to the spikes either.

Anyway, thanks for looking into this matter.

0 Kudos
KrissyG
New Contributor II

So i discovered another thing that i think is not doing what you would be expecting it to do - and is XTU related.
And since i can not upload here any videos, i will just post a youtube link to it: 

https://youtu.be/Ro2oWX37-O8

So what happens is, i can pasue or run the system monitors in XTU, and by doing so, it shows teh graph in almost real time and displays the choosen data.

Now, when i pause the system monitors, the graph gets paused too, it is useful since i can hoover with the mouse over to check the values on the shown graph.

However, when i enter the settings for the system monitors and check or uncheck any of the boxes, the system monitors unpause themselves, and the graph starts to show new values, while the button for the system monitors is still on 'Pause'.

I am not sure if that is normal, it may be related to those spikes i see when i open Chrome or Edge browser.

0 Kudos
VonM_Intel

Hi, KrissyG.

We will do further research on this matter and post the response on this thread once available.

Best regards,

Von M.

0 Kudos
VonM_Intel

Thank you for patiently waiting, KrissyG.

Please be guided that the graph movement when pausing is normal, as we have verified this issue in our simulation using different XTU versions. This is how the program is designed to work. For the other issues, we have some questions and suggestions for you:

• Could you please tell us if the crash happened on XTU or PC? 
  • Do you see any error messages before the crash? 
  • What are the symptoms of the crash? If you are only using XTU for monitoring, you can try to restart the program. Please note that XTU does not support very low program settings.
  • You mentioned that the XTU software showed incorrect readings/data. What kind of data was incorrect except for the information that you already provided? Some spikes are expected (depending on your activity and background programs), as long as they return to normal after a while. 
  • Did you update the driver to the latest version?
  • You reported that the power limit throttling turns on and said that you can cause spikes on the power limit throttling by using Chrome or opening and closing Edge. Also, the spikes are consistent. However, Chrome causes random spikes, while closing Edge causes a spike every time. 
  • What is the problem with these spikes? Spikes are normal when using different programs, as long as they are temporary and the readings go back to normal.
  • You also asked why the graph kept moving even when paused. This happens because you changed the settings for system graphs, which probably restarted the run time (since you have a new selection). We have notified the XTU team about this and they will work on fixing it in the future.

We also need some more information from you:

• Are you only using XTU for monitoring purposes?

• What is your goal of using XTU?

• Could you please send us a screenshot and a log file: XtuCore logs available in C:\ProgramDate\Intel\Intel Extreme Tuning Utility\Logs..

Sorry for so many questions, but sometimes it’s the most random thing that's causing the issue.

By the way, we have also checked that opening and closing programs can cause a lot of processing in a short time and trigger temporary throttling. This seems to be normal behavior.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Best Regards,

Von M.

0 Kudos
KrissyG
New Contributor II

Thanks for the reply.

• Could you please tell us if the crash happened on XTU or PC? 

PC had a BSOD.
    I leave the PC running 24/7,  sometimes for many days or even weeks. Now i tested it with not just XTU but also other software to find out which one is causing the BSOD. After a very long period of time, i was able to pin it down to XTU.
    Since with XTU running the PC would crash after few days, without XTU the PC would run for longer than 2 Weeks, and i tried this few times.
    As you can imagine, this took months to perform, it is not something i can do frequently. 

• Do you see any error messages before the crash? 

I checked the Evemt Viewer, but there was no other events than 'Kernel power' , so it's either Software/Hardware, i never witnessed the crash while using the PC, i use the PC only for few hours, and it's more like 18~20 hours when the PC runs unsupervised. 

• What are the symptoms of the crash? If you are only using XTU for monitoring, you can try to restart the program. Please note that XTU does not support very low program settings.

I can not name any symptoms, except that due to testing i found out that with XTU running, the PC will be having a BSOD.

• You mentioned that the XTU software showed incorrect readings/data. What kind of data was incorrect except for the information that you already provided? Some spikes are expected (depending on your activity and background programs), as long as they return to normal after a while. 

KrissyG_1-1707930348709.png

So it is very easy to notice spikes that make no sense if it's a value as ridiculous as in the screenshot, secondly i would not know if the value is incorrect for data such as frequency, i can not know if one core is in fact ruiing with such frequency or not.Therefore readings such as temperature, TDP or Power Limit Throttling are somethign i can tell if it makes sense or not. 

Just now i tried to replicate the TDP limit spikes, but i can no longer replicate them, if i set NO TDP limit.
    So, TDP limit ON (in this case 125Watts) = TDP limit spikes
    No TDP limit (TDP set to 'Default' profile, this means the CPU may draw as much as 285Watts) = no TDP spikes

I have no idea what has changed, with the limit i can replicate the spikes each time, but without the limit i can no longer do that. 

• Did you update the driver to the latest version?

Yes, all drivers are up to date. 

• You reported that the power limit throttling turns on and said that you can cause spikes on the power limit throttling by using Chrome or opening and closing Edge. Also, the spikes are consistent. However, Chrome causes random spikes, while closing Edge causes a spike every time. 

Not exactly, it shows that TDP limit is on, but it's just a spike, just like on one of the screens a TDP value of about 16 digits number (few Terra Watts power usage..... hahahaha ) is impossible - which means, the graph shows something, which may be only a flase reading.
    And like i stated above, i no longer can replicate those spikes with default TDP/unlimited.

• What is the problem with these spikes? Spikes are normal when using different programs, as long as they are temporary and the readings go back to normal.

I never had such spikes, neither on TPD limit nor anything else, so for me such spikes that go to maximum are not normal.

• You also asked why the graph kept moving even when paused. This happens because you changed the settings for system graphs, which probably restarted the run time (since you have a new selection). We have notified the XTU team about this and they will work on fixing it in the future.

Yes, this is definitely a bug, as the button that shows the state of logging is showing 'Pause' while the graph continues to show new readings.
    And now i can do something i could not do before, the graph is completely broken as part of it continues to run, and part of it does not. 
    I am not sure what i happening right now. 

This is what happened now after i tried to replicate the false state of the 'Pause' button:
    KrissyG_2-1707932775608.png

CPU utilization shown in graph is still on Pause, but the rest is not, so the CPU utilization actually does what the Pause button shows, but the rest of the readings is just progressing.

I recorded this on video -> https://youtu.be/Tr520NQRkuI

So i recon that there are different bugs when on default TDP and when TDP is limited? i can not claim it was like this before, at least i could not make the graph pause part of the readings while continuing to show other readings in real time.

• Are you only using XTU for monitoring purposes?

Yes, monitoring, and to limit the CPU power with the Power Throttling, my water cooling is capable of running 24/7 with the CPU at 230W, but also with a temperature close to +100°C , obviously this is not my target.

• What is your goal of using XTU?

Monitoring.

• Could you please send us a screenshot and a log file: XtuCore logs available in C:\ProgramDate\Intel\Intel Extreme Tuning Utility\Logs..

The log files are quite big in dimensions, so i can not post a screenshot, buz i can upload few of the logs i have there, seems those extend only to the last update of the XTU which was at the end of January this year. So i don't have any older logs from the time the BSOD happened. 

0 Kudos
VonM_Intel

Hi, KrissyG.

Thank you for sharing this information and sending some screenshots that show the issue. However, we will do further research and replication on this matter and post the response on this thread once available.

Best Regards,

Von M.

0 Kudos
VonM_Intel

Hi, KrissyG.

Thank you for waiting. Power Throttling can occur due to various factors. Launching and closing applications can trigger a lot of processing in a short span of time and result in temporary throttling. There might be also some background services running. Please note that since you have a B760 Chipset which is not a full OC chipset, this might impose some limitations.

Regarding the bug, you reported with the monitoring pause display, it has been identified and will be fixed by the XTU team in the next version. We appreciate your valuable feedback that helps us enhance our application.

Please let us know if you need any further assistance.

Best Regards,

Von M.

0 Kudos
KrissyG
New Contributor II

I see. Well my issue was with incorrect readings, since like i mentioned i use it to monitor the CPU.

And yes, no OC for the B760 chipset, altho, CPU should apparently not exceed 250Watts,
however it is throttled by the temperatures only (all default settings),
So withouc OC, i can make it peak at 300W or even higher if it's cold enough.

There is also terrible communication between software from Windows the Power Options program, Gigabyte Control Center and the XTU.
Sometimes they show old/or false setting.

But, i guess i can live with that.
Thanks for the help in trying to solve and/or explain the issues!

I will be looking forward to torture the updated XTU  

Let's say the issue is solved.

0 Kudos
KrissyG
New Contributor II

can't edit my last post, so i will add this one last reply.

I am able to reproduce the PC crashing almost each time - if i run AIDA64 'Julia' test while the TDP is not limited, and all BIOS settings are at max; XTU stress test does not crash the PC on same settings.

Each time AIDA64 crashed the PC,  the PC would just like that restart without loading the default BIOS settings....so i guess the BIOS did not detect any settings failure.

And it is not really a BSOD, bcoz there is no message on the monitor, nor a dump file, the only thing that has some information is the Event Viewer, while the AIDA64 shows high temperature: 

KrissyG_0-1708838537904.png

2nd time i set TDP to 250W with XTU, and the PC did not die on me,
3rd try i set the TDP to 290W and again no death, but i noticed, that this test shows up in XTU as a TDP spike that goes sharp to the max set TDP of exactly 290W, so unlike XTU, 'Julia' test spikes each time to max TDP

4th time TDP was set to 125W and the PC died again, the indication of the TDP is the temperature at close to only +50°C:

KrissyG_1-1708838798274.png

What AIDA64 did with that test, resembles what other users here expirience with their PCs, except, i need to run that test and i don't get any BSOD, the PC just dies and restarts  as if nothing happend. 
And without that i have no problems with the PC at all.

That message on red background appears only if i start the stability test, then stop it, and then i run that Julia test, then the PC crashes and restarts, and then i need to run AIDA64 and click on the stability test without starting it, so i see it after the PC 'recovers' from the crash.

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello KrissyG,

Thank you for sharing this information. For now, we will take a look at this internally and rest assured that I will keep this thread posted for updates . 

Ramyer M.

0 Kudos
VonM_Intel

Hello KrissyG,

Thank you for your response and for sharing this information. Your feedback is valuable in enhancing the application, and we will take note of this. We appreciate you for taking the time to share this information by reproducing the PC crashing using AIDA64. Hopefully, it may help other community members experiencing similar behavior. Since the thread is solved, we will proceed to close it. Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel.

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best Regards,

Von M.

0 Kudos