Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14508 Discussions

XTU undervolting locked

rasmusr
Beginner

Hi

Undervolting has been my go to tool on Dell XPS 15 9560 with 7700hq to keep the temperatures under control. Now, supposedly after some updates, I found myself locked out from editing "processor graphics voltage offset" and "core voltage offset". Also the benchmarking portion does not work anymore and the monitoring part seems off (for example task manager reports 5% cpu usage, while XTU shows 30%, temperatures over tjunction without heavy throttling etc).

I reinstalled XTU twice to no results.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User
Unfortunately, Intel's only solution to Plundervolt was to prevent the use of undervolting. You aren't the only person who is upset with this. Hopefully, this will result in vendors actually providing adequate cooling solutions
...S

View solution in original post

6 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User
Unfortunately, Intel's only solution to Plundervolt was to prevent the use of undervolting. You aren't the only person who is upset with this. Hopefully, this will result in vendors actually providing adequate cooling solutions
...S
rasmusr
Beginner

Thank you for the answer. I have 2-3 years of misery left with this laptop...

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

I agree that the only solution now is to prevent undervolting.  However, XTU should never have been allowed to install on an unsupported processor in the first place.

Doc

0 Kudos
rasmusr
Beginner

I'm not sure what's the moral of this comment.

Don't buy Intel, because one day your DIY solution to a pretty much defective product may stop working, because due to architectural shortcomings some research group may find a way to exploit it theoretically, effectively taking away your choice as a consumer to decide if your product throttles from 3.4GHz to 0.8GHz and probably shortens it's lifespan by a considerable margin? Viva la AMD!

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Read what you want into the comment.  While XTU shares some of the responsibility, as does Intel, so does the user.  XTU has always listed what processors are supported.  All the user has to do is read the download page.

Regarding AMD, the grass is rarely greener on the other side.

Doc

0 Kudos