Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
15527 Discussions

a question about a part in CPU architecture

Alex_Chen
Beginner
My professor told me that AR(Address Register) and MAR(Memory Address Register) is not the same part in CPU architecture, is it true,I can't explain the different between this two parts, can someone tell me about some information about this field, thank you very much
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Alex_Chen, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

We will be more than glad to assist you with this matter. 

In reference to your inquiry, An address register( AR) is a register of the central processing unit( CPU) for the storage of addresses. Such a register is located between data bus and address bus and calculates the memory addresses of operands and instructions

In a computer, the memory address register (MAR ) is the CPU register that either stores the memory address from which data will be fetched to the CPU registers, or the address to which data will be sent and stored via system bus.

In order for us to provide additional details about this subject, could you please provide the specific model of the processor you are reffering to so we can provide the most accurate information about this matter?

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello Alex_Chen, I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello Alex_Chen,

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards, 

Andres P.  

0 Kudos