Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14506 Discussions

different SIMD version dependencies

knightyang
Beginner

I am currently looking into the SIMD optimization on different CPUs.

For different INTEL SIMD instruction sets, e.g. AVX512, AVX2, AVX, SSE4.1, SSE2, SSE Are there any dependencies?

By dependency, I mean the following:

(1) For example, if a CPU supports AVX512, it will need to have AVX and SSE.

Is this true? If so, is there a place where I can find such dependencies for all different intrinsic set

(2) If I want to enable optimization for AVX512, I will have to enable AVX and SSE

Is this true? If so, is there a place where I can find such dependencies for all different intrinsic set

I was not able to find the information in "INTEL Intrinsics Guide" https://software.intel.com/sites/landingpage/IntrinsicsGuide/

Is there a documentation about the dependencies of different SIMD intrinsic set?

If not, can someone from INTEL provide one?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

knightyang, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In order to provide the most accurate information to your inquiry, we just wanted to confirm the following details:

Are you a developer?

Are you working on a specific project?

If that is the case, what is the project about?

Is there any specific reason why you need that information about the Intel® Processors?

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
knightyang
Beginner

Are you a developer?

Yes

Are you working on a specific project?

Yes

If that is the case, what is the project about?

I am trying to provide a interface that allows user to select what intrinsic set they support, then according to this information, we call to different SIMD intrinsics and add different compiler flags. 

Is there any specific reason why you need that information about the Intel® Processors?

This information is critical for the infrastructure to work correctly:

For example, if user select a certain intrinsic set (e.g. AVX2) only, what should I do and which SIMD intrinsic set should I choose? 

In the example above, selecting AVX2 only will not work.  It at least needs to have AVX and SSE as well. However, I am not clear on how many other intrinsic sets it requires.

Can you provide a full list of dependency to me?

Thanks.

Ye

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello knightyang, Thank you very much for providing that information.

In this case, to gather the information that you are looking for, please visit, sign-in and submit your inquiry in our Intel® Developer Zone, you will receive peer to peer assistance in there and further details about this topic:

https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/home.html

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos