Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14503 Discussions

high core count for future CPU suggestion

legolasyiu
Beginner

Hello Intel community, 

I always have a dream of creating processors, but for now, I will just add my 2 cents here. 

I research and examine the core count for AMD and Intel. It appears there is some improvement for Intel for core count. If Intel can integrate 28 cores, why not integrated double/triple to 84 cores or more by shrinking the process or other technology. Another way is to integrated cores (80) using Foveros - hybrid CPU technologies, perhaps, putting 2 cores stacked or 2 cores by circuit. I see there might be slower frequencies with increasing cores but that is a trade-off with a higher core count. It might need a special turbo level at some stages in the processor. It appears there is a lower core count with high frequencies for high-performance servers processes. That is normal. Hopefully, that helps with Intel. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution
JoseH_Intel

Hello legolasyiu,

Thank you for joining the community

We appreciate your suggestion and will router appropriately to our research and design team.

Just as a background info there has been Xeon processors designed with higher core counts like the Xeon Phi 7295 series with up to 72 cores running at a frequency of 1.6 GHz.

Intel® Xeon Phi™ Processor 7295 (16GB, 1.5 GHz, 72 Core) Product Specifications

In case you have further comments just let us know.

Regards

Jose A.

Intel Customer Support Technician

For firmware updates and troubleshooting tips, visit:

https://intel.com/support/serverbios

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
legolasyiu
Beginner

any feedback or discussion? 

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

No, no discussion.  This is a technical support forum.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Windows 11 is the new Vista]

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello @legolasyiu

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

We understand that you are providing suggestions for future CPU developments. Is this correct?

In order to determine the proper channel of support, could you please confirm if this is general feedback referring to processors for "end-users" (e.g.: Intel® Core™/Pentium®/Celeron® Processors) or is this regarding Intel® Server Processors/Server Platforms (e.g.: Intel® Xeon® Processors)?

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
legolasyiu
Beginner

Hello Andrew G,

Yes, I am providing suggestions for future CPU developments.  

It is regarding Intel Server processors/Server Platform.  

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello legolasyiu

Thank you very much for your response and for the clarification.

We are routing this to our Server Support team in order to provide you with the proper information. The team may be providing more details within 1-2 business days.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello legolasyiu,

Thank you for joining the community

We appreciate your suggestion and will router appropriately to our research and design team.

Just as a background info there has been Xeon processors designed with higher core counts like the Xeon Phi 7295 series with up to 72 cores running at a frequency of 1.6 GHz.

Intel® Xeon Phi™ Processor 7295 (16GB, 1.5 GHz, 72 Core) Product Specifications

In case you have further comments just let us know.

Regards

Jose A.

For firmware updates and troubleshooting tips, visit:

https://intel.com/support/serverbios

0 Kudos
legolasyiu
Beginner

Hello team,

Thanks for the information. 
Intel Xeon Phil Processor is EOL? it was out at 2017.

If Intel had the expertise to design Xeon Phi 7295. You can use a similar layout for Xeon and increase frequency from 1.6Ghz to a much higher frequency with 7nm/10nm node technology and you can get the cores count and speed needed to compete with others vendors.

0 Kudos