Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14400 Discussions

i am not getting 4.3 ghz in my new i7 8700 at all cores during heavy gaming....please help

AChat7
Beginner

i am not getting 4.3 ghz in my new i7 8700 at all cores during heavy gaming....please help

0 Kudos
14 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello ArpCha,

Thank you for contacting Intel® Communities Support.

I am glad to assist you, the processor base frequency is 3.2 GHz and the Max Turbo Frequency is 4.6 GHz.

https://ark.intel.com/products/126686/Intel-Core-i7-8700-Processor-12M-Cache-up-to-4_60-GHz https://ark.intel.com/products/126686/Intel-Core-i7-8700-Processor-12M-Cache-up-to-4_60-GHz

Intel® Turbo Boost Technology is typically enabled by default. You can only disable and enable the technology through a switch in the BIOS. No other user-controllable settings are available. Once enabled, Intel® Turbo Boost Technology works automatically under operating system control.

You can monitor the processor behavior with the Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU).

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24075/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24075/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU-

If the processor frequency is between 3.2 GHz and 4.6 GHz the processor is having a normal behavior.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Regards,

Stephen C.
0 Kudos
AChat7
Beginner

No sir i am getting between 3.2 to 3.8ghz....not between 3.2 to 4.6ghz....the max speed it attains during heavy workloads is 3.8ghz,not more than that...i have tested this with intel xtu ...please help me sir...

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Arpan,

The Turbo Boost feature is making use of the headroom available in the processor. The headroom available decreases as the number of active cores increases. With only one core active, the maximum turbo boost frequency for your processor is 4.6GHz. As you increase the number of active cores, the maximum turbo boost frequency will drop. When all cores are active, the maximum turbo boost frequency for your processor is 3.8GHz -- which is exactly what you measured in XTU (surprise!).

Intel documents how the processor determines the turbo boost frequency as follows:

Bottom line, for the way that you are testing the feature, you are seeing exactly what you should be seeing. If you want to see the higher numbers, you need to craft a test that utilizes a smaller number of active cores.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
AChat7
Beginner

No sir when all the cores are active i must get 4.3ghz on all the six cores which i saw on youtube , which i never get from the time i bought the processor....also i never get 4.6ghz on a single core in my processor...

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Nope, absolutely no way you will get that high a frequency with all cores active.

...S

0 Kudos
AChat7
Beginner

But sir did you see the screenshot? It says 4.3ghz on all 6 cores and please see in youtube the video named 'i7 8700 passive cooling'.....then reply to me

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Do you believe everything you see on YouTube? More than half of it is faked. As for your WIKI site, anyone can put anything they want up there any time they want.

According to your second capture, as you have the processor configured, you are going to get no better than 4.0GHz with single core active, 3.9GHz with two, three or four cores active and 3.8GHz with five or six cores active. Use XTU to change these multipliers to match the numbers on the WIKI page and then see if these are achievable. Of course, being achievable is not the important goal; being sustainable is much more important to your overall processor performance - and this is going to be capped by the quality of your cooling solution, the workload you are executing, etc.

...S

0 Kudos
NJons
Beginner

It is well known that MB and cooler play a massive role in the turbo frequencies you will see . If you're using stock cooler with an ECS mb you are never gonna see 4.3 all core and proabably never 4.6 ona single core. Another important thing to remember is that K SKU stats and what not often get mixed in with non K models . So while someone might say you can hit X frequency on an 8700 they might be saying that because they saw someone with a 360 mm AIO cooler on a ROG hero board do it with a stock 8700k before preparing an OC.

0 Kudos
AChat7
Beginner

I am using corsair h80i v2 on my i7 8700 but still i am not getting 4.3 ghz on all 6 cores and 4.6ghz on a single core

0 Kudos
NJons
Beginner

What sort of temps are you seeing ? How are you verifying what you are saying ? What sort of benchmarks are you using ?

0 Kudos
AChat7
Beginner

Temps never exceed 50 degrees celcius...i am using msi afterburner to monitor...

0 Kudos
bhump2
Beginner

well you have the cooling. now the next step is the motherboard. if you bought a prebuilt computer you are probalby out of luck. they lock their cpus down hard at the 65w limit. if you have a store bought z370 board then you can raise the power limit and the cpu will run at 4.3 all day long. and it will hit 4.6 single core already its just that the odds of only one cpu core running on a a modern computer are next to zero at any given time.

i repeat. if you have a prebuilt (well except ibuy power and cyber, the boutique small builders) you are probably out of luck. look the motherobarad up if its a prebuilt and see if its a z370. if it is then you should be able to change the power limit in the bios. if the bios is locked down but your maker says it has a z370 board (the case with the hp omen) then you still might be able to use intel XTU to raise the power limit. you may also be able to get an extra 50-100 mghz witha bclock over clock.

do not buy computers or computer parts unless you have talked to someone who really know them. and that guy you know may not be the right one. a local pc builder with a good rep is always your best bet or at least a smaller prebuilt company that uses off the shelf parts instead of locked down hacked together bargain basement parts for motherboards and the like

go to the bios and look for power limit and enter in the highest number it will let you. if you cant get in the bios then download xtu and look for the power limits there. if that doesn work then you will have to get another motherboard

0 Kudos
JBal
Beginner

Found same issue on other article https://superuser.com/questions/1332727/weird-turbo-boost-multipliers-on-intel-core-i7-8700 cpu - Weird turbo boost multipliers on Intel Core i7-8700 - Super User

Try to update your bios version.

0 Kudos
HVerd1
Beginner

I have an i7 8700 and it´s possible all cores at 4.3 Ghz.

You need to go to BIOS, in the option sync all cores and write 4.3 for all of them, then six cores works at 4,3 Ghz.

0 Kudos