Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
15527 Discussions

i5 12600K getting 100ºC on idle

Riji
Beginner

Hello community,

Since yesterday, my CPU has been reaching high temperatures (90º/100ºC) even right when I turn my PC on, or on idle with 0/1% CPU utilization.

I use a Corsair H100i PRO water cooler and I think it was keeping my CPU at 40º on idle.

I'm using Intel Extreme Tuning Utility to check the temperature but I don't overclock the CPU since I'm using a B660M Gaming Aorus Pro as mobo.

I don't see a reason for the temperatures on my processor to change so drastically and be so high even at 1% utilization.

Attached is a monitor log from XTU that shows the processor utilization as 0/1% and temps at 90/100ºC with Thermal Throttling almost always "on".

I don't even know if it is safe to keep using my pc in this situation until it gets fixed.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @Riji  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.  

I am sorry to hear what is happening to your processor, I will gladly assist you here. 

1. Did you check if the motherboard and chassis have proper airflow? 
  2. Did you check your Cooler doesn't have any leaks, liquid loss or pump failure? 
  3. Is it possible for you to try another motherboard or another cooler? 
  4. Test and run these utilities and attach the reports and screenshots, check on the notes: 

Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool 

Note: Please attach the complete Screenshot or click on "File", select the "View Results File" option, save and attach the report. 

Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU) 

Note: Click on "Stress Test" tab and "Start Testing" and then, attach a complete screenshot. 

Intel® System Support Utility for Windows. 

Note: Make sure to mark the box that says "everything" before pressing the Scan button. After that, click on "Next>" and select "Save" and then, attach the .txt file. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

Intel Customer Support Technician. 

0 Kudos
Riji
Beginner

Dear Jocelyn,

Thank you for the quick response.

Answering each question:

1. Did you check if the motherboard and chassis have proper airflow? 
    It does, and this is a relatively new system, so no dust is present since everything was cleaned when installed.

2. Did you check your Cooler doesn't have any leaks, liquid loss, or pump failure? 
    I'm not completely sure how to check for liquid loss, but I don't see anything different from before inside the cabinet, and the pump is working correctly.
  3. Is it possible for you to try another motherboard or another cooler? 
    Right at the moment it isn't possible, but I'm planning on handing my PC to a technician to make these tests.

4. Test and run these utilities and attach the reports and screenshots, check on the notes: 

Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool: TESTRESULTS.TXT

XTU: stress test.png

Intel® System Support Utility for Windows: SSU test.txt

I hope everything is correct and useful.

My best regards,

Riji

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @Riji  

Thank you for the information provided. 

Overall, the PC seems to be up to date and the Intel PDT passed, however, your processor is thermal throttling, please check this article for more tips regarding Thermal throttling: What Is Throttling and How Can It Be Resolved? 

Have you tried loading BIOS defaults already?  

If the issue persists after checking the tips in the article above, please let us know. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @Riji  

We hope you are great. 

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you were able to review our previous post. If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us back. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @Riji     

We have not heard back from you, so we will proceed to close this thread now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.  

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos