Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14397 Discussions

i5 - one Core ??

sjosi
Beginner

Hi there, I'm not sure if my CPU works normally with all potential.

It's 6th generation of i5 , (2500 @ 3.3Ghz )

I have updated 64bit Win7 Ultimate, but I somehow think it's not all 4 cores are in use.

How can I be sure if my CPU works correctly?

please help. Thanks!

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Leon_Merts
New Contributor II

Hi slobo,

You can try to run the Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool to see if your CPU is running within specification. found here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool Download Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool

The i5- 2500 is however not a 6th generation but a 2nd generation processor. See: https://ark.intel.com/products/52209/Intel-Core-i5-2500-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_70-GHz Intel® Core™ i5-2500 Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.70 GHz) Product Specifications

Regards,

Leon Merts

AlHill
Super User

This is your (Sandy Bridge) processor: https://ark.intel.com/products/52209/Intel-Core-i5-2500-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_70-GHz Intel® Core™ i5-2500 Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.70 GHz) Product Specifications

As Leon stated, it is a 2nd gen processor.

I would add that you should make certain your BIOS supports the processor and the BIOS is updated.

Doc

sjosi
Beginner

New Thaks !

I've had already try ruining that tool. Report you can find below... but I think only the end of report is useful.

But, I don't know to "read" actual report. It's my mistake about generation, I mean family instead generation. But, not actually sure what is the meaning of that :-)

Regardless of Bios version - thanks! I will check that parameter.
0 Kudos
Leon_Merts
New Contributor II

Hi slobo,

In addition of your first question, not all software is written to use more than one core or even hyper threading.

In such a case you might only see one core in use.

Regards,

Leon Merts

sjosi
Beginner

Do you can tell me you opinion about what if I install Windows 10 ?

0 Kudos
Leon_Merts
New Contributor II

Other than it should run fine I can't really give an opinion as I stopped running Windows after Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit. But if that runs Windows 10 should run as well.

Regards,

Leon Merts

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Your processor and graphics is not supported on Windows 10:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006105/processors.html Does My Intel® Processor Support Microsoft Windows® 10?

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005526/graphics-drivers.html Supported Operating Systems for Intel® Graphics Products

Doc

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Here's what I see from looking at the attachments:

• You have a 2nd generation Intel Core i5 processor (Core i5-2500)
  • You have a board that utilizes a 6 Series chipset (Z68).
  • You have an add-in graphics card (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti).
  • The processor's integrated graphic engine is disabled (because add-in graphics card is present).
  • The cooling solution on the processor is working fairly well.

My conclusions:

• Al is correct; your chipset and processor are not formally supported for Windows 10. That said, however, because you have an add-in graphics card, you should be able to run the original Windows 10 release without too many issues. Understand, however, that the recent updates to Windows 10 -- the Fall Creator's Update, the original Creator's Update and perhaps even the Anniversary Update -- will not be made available to you because of the unsupported processor.

• There doesn't seem to be any multi-threading issue; all cores appear to be operating properly. To verify, open the Windows 7 Task Manager and click on the Performance tab. You should see four graphs opened in the CPU Usage History section of the display and these graphs should show activity on all four Cores.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
sjosi
Beginner

Thanks so much !! No, there are only one graph, but thanks a lot !

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Hhmmm, it is odd that the iPDT did not report that only a single Core was enabled.

Usually, if only a single Core (or HyperThread, if applicable) is enabled, it means that the BIOS has specifically disabled the other Cores. You should look at your BIOS configuration and see if it has a parameter that has been set to disable all but one Core.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
sjosi
Beginner

Any useful stuff in here ??

0 Kudos
sjosi
Beginner

Thanks for patient and so detailed answers.

I still did not see 4 graphs as you can see... I try to start as much adobe stuff I have...

I can feel that my computer speed up after some tweaks in BIOS, video card driver reinstall...

0 Kudos
sjosi
Beginner

I reset BIOS pulling out battery and now they there are !

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You must have accidently set the parameter in BIOS Setup that ordered operation with only one Core enabled. Resetting the BIOS configuration is one way of restoring that functionality.

Well, you are all set then; have fun!

...S

sjosi
Beginner

Yes. it's good that you mention BIOS , Otherwise, I would not deal in that direction

Thanks
0 Kudos