Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
15009 Discussions

i7-12700 audio dropout

Stuominous
Beginner
I have a brand new HP Pavilion TP01-3xxx, i7-12700. There are multiple audio dropouts while listening to music from a local file, or on an online streaming service. I have updated all available drivers and checked cables and audio devices. All will play fine then randomly dropout/crackle/distort, then resume. This happens if I have only the music player playing or multiple things occuring.

I have heard that Windows 11 systems with hybrid-architecture CPUs utilizing performance and efficiency cores (P-Cores/E-Cores), such as the 12th Gen Intel® Core™ Alder Lake or newer, can lead to audio dropouts and reduced performance.

Is there any resolution? Is there any assistance with this?
0 Kudos
9 Replies
AlHill
Super User

I have an i9-12900 with Windows 11, and I have some of the best sound on my PC ever, with local files and online streaming.

However, I do not have an HP machine.

Just saying....

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
Stuominous
Beginner
Ooof. I ain't got that kind of money. (⁠ー⁠_⁠ー⁠゛⁠)
0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello Stuominous,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. I am sorry to know that you are having issues with your Intel® UHD Graphics 770.   

In order to better assist you, please provide the following:  

1. When did the issue start?

2. Have you checked this issue with HP?

3. Have you made any BIOS changes?

4. What is the graphics driver version?

Regards,  

Deivid A. 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
Stuominous
Beginner
Would audio fall under Graphics??

1. Started on Day 1
2. Yes, I have checked with HP - no resolution. Any assistance is a "Premier Assistance" option.
3. No BIOS changes
4. Version 31.0.101.4091
0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello Stuominous,  

Were you able to check the previous post and get the information requested? Please let me know if you need more assistance.   

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello Stuominous, 

Thanks for the information. Before we continue further, I would like to confirm the following:

1. Is the issue present when using the laptop-embedded speakers, headphones, TV, or external speakers?

2. Do you see any errors in the device manager (code 10, code 43)?

3. Have you performed all the operating system updates, even the optional ones?

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
Stuominous
Beginner
I have been digging into other potential reasons for the error in addition to working with you. First, I'll answer your questions:

1: The dropouts happen ONLY with my Steinberg URmkII Audio Interface. USB headphones, 3.5mm jack headphones, and combo headphones/mic all work fine with zero dropout. Unfortunately, my speakers are ran through the Steinberg URmkII Audio Interface.

2. No error messages

3. All available updates are routinely checked and applied. Currently up to date.

I have learned that there is an issue with the driver and compatibility of my Audio Interface and the Win11/i7-12700. I'm beginning to believe that the issue is not with the i7-12700 at all, but with the device or driver itself. There was a recent Yamaha/Steinberg driver update that did not repair the issue.
I will need to contact Steinberg for more assistance. Thank you.
0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello Stuominous, 

Thanks for all the information provided. As you mentioned, if the issue is only present with the Steinberg URmkII Audio Interface and your system is fully updated, it is a good idea to check with Steinberg for further information.

I will close this thread, however, you can open a new thread in case you need further support (you can use this one as a reference) or if you face any issues with our products.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
Stuominous
Beginner

Looks like the issue persists. I have gotten a new interface. The sound still crackles - but doesn't necessarily drop out.

0 Kudos