Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14860 Discussions

i7 13700kf too hot to realistically use

Finn
Beginner

I'm a college student who built a pc for the dual purpose of gaming and productivity. The projects/assignments I'm working are fairly CPU intensive: video editing/rendering, 3d modelling, animation, game development, that sort of thing. My i7-13700kf seems to be handling the gaming portion of that fairly well, even with some pretty demanding games; the problem is that it thermal throttles in seconds whenever I put it under any real load, such as video or 3d rendering. My cooling system isn't that bad, but I've heard that the 13th gen is really hard to keep in check temperature-wise. I'd rather not try to undervolt it or mess with the clock speeds if I can, but I can't realistically use it as often as I need to, given how high the temperatures get. I'm considering that I might have to get a different CPU for this reason, but if there's an easy fix, that would be great to know. Worst case scenario, what kind of CPU would be able to handle all the rendering/intensive stuff I have to do, as well as run decently demanding games, without throttling the moment it's under any significant stress?

*extra context I forgot to say*

• it's throttling at 100c and won't go below 95c no matter how long I wait
  • My cooler is a DeepCool ak620 Zero Dark, and my case is a Corsair 4000X RGB with a couple extra exhaust fans.
  • Motherboard is an MSI MAG z790 Tomahawk Wifi
  • while the CPU only overheats with CPU-intense programs like Davinci Resolve, I'd like a CPU that can handle both that and newer, fairly demanding games as well
  • temperatures when gaming have never been concerning, but trying to render anything in programs like Blender or Davinci sends it to 100c in seconds, and it doesn't go below 95c during that time

Any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

this is the first support forum post I've made, so please forgive any info/formatting errors

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
n_scott_pearson
Super User

This solution seemingly does not have the thermal mass necessary to handle the very fast temperature transitions or its fan(s) are incorrectly/inadequately configured to handle these temperatures/changes. Regarding the latter, I would have a configuration that takes the fan(s) to 100% duty cycle for any temperatures above, say, 85°C. Regarding the former, if handling the latter doesn't solve the issues, then my only suggestion would be to look at a liquid cooling system.

Let's look at this practically: you have a processor that, under load, could consume up to 253W. You have a cooling solution that has the ability to dissipate 260W, so you are, in theory, covered - but this is only the case if the fans (and yes, you should have two of them) are being taken up to the speeds necessary to enable this dissipation.

There is a secondary issue that is just as important. In order for the heat to be dissipated, sufficient airflow levels must be present. But, as the temperature of the air being inlet to the fans is increased, the airflow needs correspondingly increase. It is thus important to have a minimum of two 120mm or larger fans. One of these fans will be responsible for pulling cooler air into the chassis while the other is responsible for exhausting hot air from the chassis. You need to configure these fans to work in tandem to move air through the chassis and to accelerate these fans based upon available temperatures on the motherboard (that of the PCH and SSD(s), for example) and in the processor. It is also important that the exhaust CFM levels be equal to or higher than the inlet. Where possible, i would have a 120mm inlet fan and a 140mm outlet fan. The more fans the merrier, as they say. 

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos