Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14627 Discussions

i7 7700 Will it support Samsung 970 Evo Plus M2 at full speed in addition to Nvidia GTX745 4gb

Jason96
Beginner

I am trying to speed up an Acer TC780 with poor boot up speed and poor performance. I have replaced the OS with a Samsung 970 Evo Plus M2 card and it is working, but only at about 440 Read and Write when I know it can do about 3500. Have enabled AHCI, tried changing drivers etc. I suspect that it does not have sufficient lanes on the mobo to handle faster speeds, but want to check out if I have missed something or if it is a mobo thing. Have installed same card on a Dell Inspiron 5680 and it just performs so well on that.

Thank you

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

No, the board was built by Acer. American Megatrends (a.k.a. AMI) is an IBV (Independent BIOS Developer). Acer likely used AMI for the development of the BIOS for this motherboard.

Even with the M.2 SSD using PCIe lanes generated by the PCH, the performance shouldn't be this poor. This performance is no better than a SATA drive.

Having been burned by Acer in a laptop purchase - which had its screen lose an entire column of pixels mere days after the crappy 1-year warranty ran out - I too will never purchase anything from them again.

...S

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello Jason96,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.  

As you may know the motherboard manufacturer is the one that defines the traffic map, bandwidth and how many devices will be supported for the maximum system performance.

As you are using an Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) device, I would strongly recommend checking with them for further guidance.

The fact that the configuration works in you Dell Inspiron 5680* could indicate that this behavior is directly related to the ACER* system.

The recommendations that I can provide is to check with your computer manufacturer and ensure that the latest BIOS/Firmware is up to date and contacting ACER* to determine if this is an expected behavior for your current configuration.

I hope that you find this information useful to better approach your issue.

Esteban D.

Intel Technical Support Technician

0 Kudos
Jason96
Beginner

Hi,

Thank you for such a prompt reply. I have already done just that and because the P.C. is now out of warranty, they refuse to help. They told me to talk to Intel. The board is made by American Megatrends. Acer as you can imagine will never see me as a consumer again. Dell on the other had bent over backwards to help me and they did.

My Dell has a Blue Skull 17544-1 Board i7

Regards

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

No, the board was built by Acer. American Megatrends (a.k.a. AMI) is an IBV (Independent BIOS Developer). Acer likely used AMI for the development of the BIOS for this motherboard.

Even with the M.2 SSD using PCIe lanes generated by the PCH, the performance shouldn't be this poor. This performance is no better than a SATA drive.

Having been burned by Acer in a laptop purchase - which had its screen lose an entire column of pixels mere days after the crappy 1-year warranty ran out - I too will never purchase anything from them again.

...S

0 Kudos