Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14500 Discussions

i9 12900K Compatibility Problems With DDR5?

VictoryPete
Beginner
I have read online that there are compatibility problems with the new 12th Gen i9 12900K CPUs and the new DDR5 Ram. I bought a Dell XPS 8950 with 128GB of DDR5 Ram that is only clocked at 3600MHz even though the Ram itself is rated for 4800MHz.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello VictoryPete, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In this case bear in mind that the manufacturers (Dell, HP, Asus, etc) can limit or restrict some features so they can fit with their system. This means that even if the RAM can go up to 4800MHz if the motherboard only supports up to 3600MHz they will limit the speed.

On the other hand, there is an option at the BIOS called Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (Intel® XMP) that allows you to overclock the RAM by selecting different profiles (speeds). we do not recommend overclocking the RAM since this can damage the CPU.

My advice is to get in contact with Dell to confirm if the RAM speed is limited or if you are able to change it.

Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel.  

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Talk to dell about their hardware and update the dell bios.  I have "read" that can help.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
calzon65
Novice

To add some additional information, my experience has been that it is the motherboard that also needs to support certain types of RAM.  So if the motherboard (and of course the BIOS) does not support DDR5 RAM, then you are out of luck regardless of the speed.

0 Kudos
calzon65
Novice

Moved my reply.

0 Kudos